View Full Version : Blue Throat Trigger?

LiveRock27
10-25-2011, 10:28 AM
I am doing research for my stock list for my new 90g setup and have been running across different information on the Blue Throat as to what size tank is ideal for it.

One source says 120g, but a lot of other sources refrence 75g for them.

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on if my 90g would be big enough for one or even a pair (I read that they do better in pairs).

Thanks.

Heyitsmirix3
10-25-2011, 10:57 AM
You can actually buy blue throats really tiny ( like 3 inches) and keep them for years before you have to either upgrade the tank or rehome. But you WILL have to relocate out of the 90 eventually. Thanh's pair for enormous.

SnowManSnow
10-25-2011, 11:03 AM
I have 1 in my 120 and he seems quite happy there :)

B

jmaneyapanda
10-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Blue throts are VERY active fish, and can (and should) grow to a pretty notable size, so a bigger tank would be better. They are usually collected somewhat smaller, so they may be OK for a while in a 75.

And they dont do "better" in pairs. They are 100% fine being solitary specimens.

LiveRock27
10-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the information everyone. I think it would be best for me to go in a different direction since I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.

Miami Dolfan
10-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Just for your info, I had to trade my blue throat recently because he grew to approx. 7" and he would go after any new smaller fish or invert I'd put into the tank. They must be well fed to avoid this.

SnowManSnow
10-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Blue throts are VERY active fish, and can (and should) grow to a pretty notable size, so a bigger tank would be better. They are usually collected somewhat smaller, so they may be OK for a while in a 75.

And they dont do "better" in pairs. They are 100% fine being solitary specimens.

I would say they do good either way :) Ive had a pair and they were perfectly happy.. one eventually perished and the other is still seemingly happy in the same tank alone :)

B

LiveRock27
10-25-2011, 1:26 PM
Just for your info, I had to trade my blue throat recently because he grew to approx. 7" and he would go after any new smaller fish or invert I'd put into the tank. They must be well fed to avoid this.

Thanks for the heads up.
I thought it was a little strange that sites were saying you could keep them in a 75g tank when they had their adult size listed as 9".

jmaneyapanda
10-25-2011, 2:02 PM
I would say they do good either way :) Ive had a pair and they were perfectly happy.. one eventually perished and the other is still seemingly happy in the same tank alone :)

B
Agreed. Pairs are fine. But....they dont do "better" as pairs. They are fine singularly. To say they do better as pairs is misinformation.

Rskillz
10-25-2011, 2:41 PM
I've had my male for about a year. I have a 180g. Great fish, very active, leaves inverts+corals alone. My only issue is he almost draws blood when I reach in the tank, haha. He's scared me about 50 times with a bite when I reach my hand in.

reeferman
10-25-2011, 5:57 PM
yeah,he got me several times while you were in Aspen,he likes to bite!