View Full Version : Emergeny Shutdown

shafiq.hossain
10-22-2011, 4:07 PM
I had a close call yesterday. I just bought a R-300 Refugium by Eshopps. The problem I'm having is keeping the sock in place. The bottom of the sock tends to lift up and sometimes the sock itself would slide out. At one point, it did slide out and ended up blocking the waterflow going into the refugium section. Needless to say, the water level crested but fortunately, it happened right in front of me. Otherwise, disaster would have struck. So, that got me thinking and have the following questions:

1. Why is the sock not staying put? Is the water level in that section too high to begin with? If so, what should the level be?

2. If the sump were to overflow, how can I shut down the return pump and the skimmer even if I'm away?

Thanks...

Shafiq

Thanh386
10-22-2011, 5:46 PM
1. Unless you have a sick holder, socks will move. Water is paying down on it afterall. Eshopp ones are very nice and fairly cheap. I recommend investing in one.

2. If your sump is overflowing , you wouldn't want to shut down the skimmer because it would displace water in it to the sump, and u definitely don't want to shut off ur return. If ur sump is over filling, u have the same problem as me, sump is too small for the size tank. Only thing I can think of is drill a hole in the sump at the maximum level u want water to be, and connect a drain.

If you come up with another solution please let me know. I am always worried about a power lost and my house flooding.

Ripped Tide
10-22-2011, 6:20 PM
Thanh, I have some creative solutions for you. It may envolve taking you ATO out and building you a second sump that is purely for holding a larger volume of water. We'll talk in person about it.

shafiq.hossain
10-22-2011, 6:22 PM
1. Unless you have a sick holder, socks will move. Water is paying down on it afterall. Eshopp ones are very nice and fairly cheap. I recommend investing in one.

2. If your sump is overflowing , you wouldn't want to shut down the skimmer because it would displace water in it to the sump, and u definitely don't want to shut off ur return. If ur sump is over filling, u have the same problem as me, sump is too small for the size tank. Only thing I can think of is drill a hole in the sump at the maximum level u want water to be, and connect a drain.

If you come up with another solution please let me know. I am always worried about a power lost and my house flooding.

Sump and sock are made by eshopps and new. Sump was about to overflow when the sock detached and blocked the flow to the refugium section.

gnashty
10-22-2011, 7:32 PM
Try running without the sock until you get it figured out. I use a check valve on my return line so when the power to the return pump is cut, it will not accept any water to flow back from the return line. Also make sure you have a siphon break on your return nozzles in your tank so they dont siphon water thru your plumbing.

Chef Jeff
10-22-2011, 8:48 PM
+1 on the siphon breaks...very important. You could implement a controller and float switches and/or water on the floor sensors to implement several plans of attack according to the conditions you determine...or get rid of the filter sock and the problem is solved.

elFloyd
10-22-2011, 8:52 PM
My sock tends to float up too... I just drop a piece of rock rubble into the sock to hold it down.

shafiq.hossain
10-23-2011, 8:04 AM
Thanks for all the advice (keep it coming though :-))! Return siphons accounted for and check valve already installed. So, I'm covered there. I'm thinking maybe the water flow might be too fast (pump too powerful). I'm getting a valve installed between the pump and the check valve to adjust the water flow flowing back into the tank. But I'm not sure if that will necessarily lower the water level in the sump, which would in turn keep the bottom of the sock from floating up or keep the top of the sock from sliding off. I'm surprised there is no indication on the sump as to where the water level should remain.

Although one suggestion was too leave off the sock altogether, would that be advisable? Isn't the sock supposed to capture the "large" debris?

Furthermore, I looked into the Apex controller for more of an automated option. One thing I'm confused about is whether I will need the Program Module (PM2 or PM3) or the Breakout Box? The Program Module description does indicate that it can be used for float switches or water level alarms. However, I was unable to locate either one with digital outputs, which I believe the Program Module would require, unlesss I'm not reading it correctly. It might be overkill but I'd like to set up 3 float switches based on the following situations:

1. Float switch to monitor the maximum sump level. The only reason that could happen in my view is if the return pump is running but water flow is being impeded from one section of the sump to the next. My recourse would be to turn off the return pump at that point to stop any more water flowing into the sump.

2. Float switch to monitor the minimum sump level. That would be indicative of the fact that either my RODI canister is empty or the pump in the RODI canister is not functioning for some reason. My recourse would be to turn off the return pump at that point rather than risk burning it out.

3. Float switch to monitor any water leak around the base of the cabinet. In that case, I would also turn off the return pump.

One thing I'm not sure about in all three instances is if I need to keep the skimmer running (does it serve any purpose at that point) or turn it off in conjunction with the return pump.

Happy reading......

Thanks...

Jaycen B.
10-23-2011, 8:35 AM
You can do all that with the Apex. Depending what else you want to control you will not need the PMs but you will need the Breakout Box to hook up the switches. I would add a water on floor sensor for a leak around the base of the cabinet instead of a float switch.

shafiq.hossain
10-23-2011, 10:28 AM
My sock tends to float up too... I just drop a piece of rock rubble into the sock to hold it down.

On the occasions the sock did stay down, I ran into the other issue where it start to slide off.

Edit: You can do all that with the Apex. Depending what else you want to control you will not need the PMs but you will need the Breakout Box to hook up the switches. I would add a water on floor sensor for a leak around the base of the cabinet instead of a float switch.

Would you any suggestions/links regarding compatible float switches and floor water sensor?