View Full Version : top of overflow cover

atlweb
10-15-2011, 10:57 AM
I heard of lots of people cutting a black clipboard and using it as an overflow cover to keep anything from venturing in there, as welll as keeping algae out and even quieting the plumbing.

When I just place the clipboard over (not fitted yet... my durso drain with a hole cut in the top to let air in/out gets a lot more noisy. Any suggestions on what I can do to get a cover on it, but not affect the noise of the plumbing in place?

Budsreef
10-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Try sticking a piece of airline tubing down the hole. That will sometimes help with the noise factor. If that doesn't work on its own, then try cutting a hole in the cover just big enough for the airline to stick out of it. If that doesn't work, then forget about the airline and cut a hole just over the hole in the top of the durso.

atlweb
10-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Is it okay if the airline tube is up against the cover (I would imagine it would be squishing it)?

Thanks for your help, Bud!

Budsreef
10-15-2011, 11:28 AM
If it is that tight of fit then that's probably why you are getting the noise. You might have to drill the hole so it sticks out a little.

I had the same problem with my 120G and had to lower the durso just a little bit.

atlweb
10-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Awesome, I think I am going to pick up some airline tubing and experiment with the right height today. I appreciate your help!

atlweb
10-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Okay... so I got an airline tube that fits in the hole of the durso, but every few seconds the water will drain low and you hear it all go down the plumbing into the sump, and then the water level slowly rises again and it repeats again.

Any suggestons as to how I can get the water to flow normally through the durso while quieting it down with the airline tube?