View Full Version : New ARC Divers....

Todd_Washowich
10-13-2011, 5:08 PM
you have been quiet......Well? Are you divers yet!....

swalke2
10-13-2011, 7:29 PM
Guess I need to check " diver " thread more. There was a group getting certified?

Todd_Washowich
10-13-2011, 10:05 PM
there was... they are quiet...not typical for divers....

CarlitosReef
10-13-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm actually looking to get certified :) but still researching about it

Todd_Washowich
10-13-2011, 10:16 PM
what you researching? I am a Divemaster and can provide you with the proper direction.

wmboots
10-13-2011, 10:34 PM
And I'm an instructor so fire away with questions, Todd and I will have you covered

CarlitosReef
10-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Sounds great I will In a hr I'm driving at the moment and is raining

CarlitosReef
10-14-2011, 12:01 AM
First thing I know you have to get the "fit sheet" signed off by a doctor to make sure there isn't a health issue that can avoid me from scuba diving.

Well I use hearing aids so if I take them off I wouldn't be able to hear unless you talk by my ear lol (I would prefer a chick to do this) or I can read your lips.

Obviously being under water no one can hear unless you are wearing some head gear with a mic and speaker lol

So I don't think my hearing issue would be a problem. I enjoy swimming by the way.

Another thing is the cost of being certified for "open water" I am assuming this would include being able to dive in any other country you are vacationing at.
I am planning in going for another vacation to Mexico in winter time 2012.(hopefully if the world doesn't end by then lol) I would like to be ready and certified so I can go scuba diving when I get there. I think I am looking at $500 for the cost plus the scuba gear rental fee?

I know there's two big certification company one is PADI who I am planning in getting certified by, I really like that company. Is this choice good? or who is better as in who offers more benefits.

How long and what it takes to get certified. I have been watching some videos by PADI on some of the class training and test. Taking off your goggles and putting them back on, finding your respirator, adjusting your air tank, properly strapping your gear, etc.. I am pretty sure there tons of more info I am missing that needs to be cover to be certified.

This is my first time getting in to scuba diving so how much am I looking at a first time beginner scuba gear, keeping in mind I would mostly enjoy open water diving as in the ocean. Or would renting the gear would be the best choice for now?

I think this is so far some info I am missing if anything I will come back and post! :thumbs:

Todd_Washowich
10-14-2011, 11:42 AM
well first off, I have never heard of a "fit sheet" before. But you need to be in good health and reasonably fit..But I have seen unfit divers...alot of them.....most of them will become dead divers though. It is not a bad idea to have your Doctor involved. I get a complete Physical every year... EVERYTHING! I even do a Cardiac Stress Test. Just because I am 49 and you know -- a few pounds on that I do not want. :)

Hearing...well, there is not alot to hear underwater, and we use hand signs..so deaf is no reason not to dive...

To get Certified as an OPEN WATER Certification..it will cost you, $600 to $700 for everything.. Don't believe anyone that tells you otherwise. Unless the instructor is your friend and will do it for free... I can give the breakdown costs but that's what it will cost.

I am NAUI.....Bill is PADI...It's not about the agency..It's the instructor that is teaching you....you must feel comfortable with your instructor, one that matches you. and I encourage you to visit shops around you and basically interview them and feel them out.

NAUI ( me ) it will take you one weekend (Thursday thru Sunday) and then a week end checkout dive.. so 2 weekends. PADI may be different.

DO NOT take a class online..That's just not right..You need to be FACE TO FACE and be able to ask questions and have questions asked to you..This is a dangerous sport. It's your life.. Take the OW class seriously... take no Shortcuts...

DO NOT buy your equipment online! ( Just needed to say that) How do you know it fits? Is right for you? What happens if it needs replaced? Worked on? Online will not help you. A dive shop will.

I bought my entire dive gear right out of the shoot. I KNEW I was going to be a diver. I knew I wanted to learn in MY gear not rental gear.. That's up to you.

swalke2
10-14-2011, 12:29 PM
++1 ^^^
I started with SDI which is online instruction then classroom, I liked the format a lot as they focused on dive computers. I made it all the way through to Rescue diver with them. Even though I had the certificates and knew what was going on, I still felt like I was missing somthing. Not knocking them, they are great and got me back involved in diving, but I needed more.

I then got completely recertifed up to master diver with PADI. I knew that I wanted to work my may to Instructor (not there yet)and they would give me all the knowledge I need to be safe and sucessful.

Another note about gear and getting it local. If you wind up moving up through your certifications, the shops you certify with will 99% of the time want you to be in the gear they sell. So when the new student comes in "all wow and geewiz" about the gear you are wearing, they can sell it to them on the spot....I think its silly, but understand its business. I screwed myself this way and own gear most shops do not sell (tech/rec)

Sorry kinda rambled, but think staying with PADI or NAUI would be the right decision and buy local gear and support your LDS.

CarlitosReef
10-14-2011, 12:42 PM
A lot of great info here, I'm not sure who Bill is but I would love for him to chime in more about PADI as well. I will look at NAUI again and find out more about it.

There's about 3 LDS not to far from me real close and I will check them out. I don't mind supporting my LDS as long as there is discounts :)

Todd_Washowich
10-14-2011, 1:26 PM
I Marietta you Have Diver;s Supply and then the one off Lower Roswell.. Bill is Wmboots above BTW.....

Here is the deal with buying what the shop sells....I had a Zeagle BC that a strap was wearing out and needed replaced..... She gave me a new one and sent the old one back...Also... I bought a wetsuit from her as well, It began getting a tear in a seam...Guess what, I got a new one right there and she sent the old one back.. SO I am 100% on board with what my chosen dive shop is selling... because they will provide SERVICE where online you get nothing.

Secondly, I went with the Atomic Regs they sell as well.. they are some of the best on the market.... I chose to change to Scuba Pro because I dive at the GAI and that's what they dive with and now I can service my own gear :) But, guess what, my daughter inherited my Atomic set up. and Atomic is a break off of Scuba Pro and I can service the Atomics now as well.

My point is .... support your chosen dive shop. you will be with them ALONG time.. Me, I have been with Adventures n Diving now for 6 years and going strong.

But DIVE!!!I am tried of hearing I am going to do it.. Guess what, those guys never do.. Wake up and go to the dive shop and make it happen.

Todd

Edit: BTW ..they new ARC divers (i think there were 4 of them) ARE STILL QUIET!!! Where are yinze guys....?

swalke2
10-14-2011, 1:39 PM
That was better said Todd, I was not saying to buy online. Just get your gear from a shop you will stay with.
I bought all my gear from Diver supply but my local shop (seaventures) wants me to have all their stuff to take DM through them. So now I either have to take DM at diversupply which is a hike from Dunwoody or find a friend, which I did.

Amberjack
10-14-2011, 1:56 PM
Sorry guy's, I posted in the original ARC Scuba thread. I didn't think anyone cared.

Spike (Spikes Corals) and myself completed NAUI Certification a few weeks ago and we're looking forward to the first ARC trip, hopefully with Ken Niedemeyer and the Coral Propogation project in Key West.

Todd_Washowich
10-14-2011, 1:56 PM
That was better said Todd, I was not saying to buy online. Just get your gear from a shop you will stay with.
I bought all my gear from Diver supply but my local shop (seaventures) wants me to have all their stuff to take DM through them. So now I either have to take DM at diversupply which is a hike from Dunwoody or find a friend, which I did.

or go with Adventures in Diving and they only care about your diving ability and not what you are wearing :) Just a thought.. Good luck though, It was a ***** for me getting Divemaster :)

Todd_Washowich
10-14-2011, 3:56 PM
Sorry guy's, I posted in the original ARC Scuba thread. I didn't think anyone cared.

Spike (Spikes Corals) and myself completed NAUI Certification a few weeks ago and we're looking forward to the first ARC trip, hopefully with Ken Niedemeyer and the Coral Propogation project in Key West.

Hope that works out..That's pretty big hopes for you first dive!

Spike
10-14-2011, 4:01 PM
It was a fantastic experience, Diane and Scott are the greatest. I just need to make some money so I can go to Bonaire.

darkrider
10-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Yinze??? that be some Pittspeak.

gmpolan and I also finished up our certs this past weekend, as part of the ARC members scuba class. I can't say enough good things about Diane and Scott. Both are extremely professional, and the entire experience was SO worthwhile! I was also pleasantly surprised by how nice Blue Water Quarry was for the checkout dives in Pelham, AL. There's plenty to see, and it's a great environment to practice the skills that you've learned. We had a small group, so we got to spend as much or more time on fun dives, as we did the actual certification skills!

90galguy
10-28-2011, 11:13 AM
My wife and I are planning to get re-certified probably within a year or so. We were very active divers in the past and actually were married underwater on May 9, 2003. My avatar is our wedding photo!

The service was performed on Christ of the Abyss in Key Largo, FL. Prior to that we did a shark dive with Capt. Slate, who also did the wedding. These were actually our last dives. We were lucky enough to have an Emmy Award winning underwater videographer named Frazier Nivens on our trip and he taped our entire wedding with voice over for only $100! My wife and I might have the ONLY wedding video that people actually ask to watch!!!:yay:

For anyone who is thinking about taking the plunge................do it! You think having a saltwater aquarium is cool? If you start diving you'll want to grow gills and climb in your tank and never leave.

We will most certainly be re-certified through the ARC club as soon as the time comes.

wmboots
10-30-2011, 9:44 PM
Don't understand your statement "re-certified" if you mean taking a refresher course then that wouldn't be a bad idea but once you receive your open water certification card you don't loose it because you don't dive for a few years. Refresher course should cost some where around a $100 and basicly takes a couple hours of book work refresher (ie:tables etc) and an hour or so in a pool going over skills

E=90galguy;699991]My wife and I are planning to get re-certified probably within a year or so. We were very active divers in the past and actually were married underwater on May 9, 2003. My avatar is our wedding photo!

The service was performed on Christ of the Abyss in Key Largo, FL. Prior to that we did a shark dive with Capt. Slate, who also did the wedding. These were actually our last dives. We were lucky enough to have an Emmy Award winning underwater videographer named Frazier Nivens on our trip and he taped our entire wedding with voice over for only $100! My wife and I might have the ONLY wedding video that people actually ask to watch!!!:yay:

For anyone who is thinking about taking the plunge................do it! You think having a saltwater aquarium is cool? If you start diving you'll want to grow gills and climb in your tank and never leave.

We will most certainly be re-certified through the ARC club as soon as the time comes.[/QUOTE]

90galguy
10-30-2011, 9:58 PM
Refresher course is really what I meant.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

DMKahlan
09-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Just came back to the ARC site after being away for a LONG time. (I know, I know :) )

I got certified back in March after my friends in Tampa hounded me about getting certified. We cruise with them at least once a year and just got back from a trip to see them in August.

Since I getting my OW cert, I've gone on and gotten my Nitrox and Advanced Open Water certs.

Like everyone has been saying, visit your local Dive Shop (mine is Diver's Supply in Marietta) and chat with them about diving and the costs involved.

Diving is a lot of fun and has really gotten me stoked in my reef tank again - instead of just maintaining it.

velocityoflove
09-12-2012, 12:25 PM
One of these days that's what I'm going to do, if I ever have money. I'm in school right now, but my "career choice" is underwater video.

scruggs1
09-12-2012, 7:54 PM
Just came back to the ARC site after being away for a LONG time. (I know, I know :) )

Diving is a lot of fun and has really gotten me stoked in my reef tank again - instead of just maintaining it.

Same here.

I've been a Divemaster for years but just lost interest. Took my tank down about 7 years ago.

My 11 year old son just got certified this June. Since then we have been on 2 trips and I just set my reef tank back up. :up: