View Full Version : Experiences with Nemo Fish?

olds350racer
07-22-2007, 5:09 PM
I have only tried this place one time and was not pleased. I just wanted to get the experiences of other before I passed judgement on this place. I generally don't like to "write off" a LFS based off one experience (even if it's my own). Thanks for the input.

Mizah00
07-22-2007, 5:14 PM
What happened? Nemo is my second home and Ive always had this experiences when am there so please share what happened.

tsciarini
07-22-2007, 5:16 PM
I think he's looking more for other peoples good experiences rather than telling a bad one...

Personally, Ive never gotten a chance to shop there. I'm very rarely over on that side of town.

Mizah00
07-22-2007, 5:24 PM
Well I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT GOOD EXPERIENCES AT NEMO. AARON THE OWNER AND HIS PARENTS ARE GREAT AND WITH NEMO IF HE DOES NOT HAVE IT HE WILL GET FOR YOU AT HALF THE PRICE OF SOME OF THE OTHER LFS.

olds350racer
07-22-2007, 5:45 PM
Exactly, tsciarini. I'm really looking for comfirmation that's it's worth another shot. For all I know it could have been a one time thing or, for that matter, ME having a bad day (aka- bad perspective).
Mizah, I didn't get into details because I didn't want it to sound like I was knocking the place.
(http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/member.php?u=425)

tsciarini
07-22-2007, 5:47 PM
Exactly, tsciarini.

lol... you can just call me Tony :)

olds350racer
07-22-2007, 5:59 PM
lol... now I know... Tony. :)

kappaknight
07-22-2007, 6:19 PM
I shopped there a number of times... their selection of fish is great and their regular prices are often lower than the other local fish stores even with discounts. The service I get is great and the answers I get are honest. I would highly recommend shopping there since it's a store worth supporting.

If you think you were in a foul mood, it really could have just been a bad day...

LorenK
07-22-2007, 6:23 PM
I've had good experience on my two times I shopped there.

Spike
07-22-2007, 7:23 PM
good prices, typically healthy fish, more good experiences than bad. Bought my 6 line, and maroon clown there, both I have had over a year.

mwitten
07-22-2007, 8:30 PM
I have only been there once so far, but will undoubtedly go back. Seemed to be good folks. No problems at all! Have been up front and honest answering questions on how long they have had fish, etc. when I called, for example.

-Mike

olds350racer
07-22-2007, 8:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback all. I'll definately try them again.

mike17kb
07-22-2007, 10:34 PM
I have been to Nemo twice, first one was mediocre, but they were busy, second time was a great experience.

I commend you on your post and the angle you took with it.

Thanks for the feedback all. I'll definately try them again.

DannyBradley
07-22-2007, 10:45 PM
My only experiences with them is through one of my clients and one of my customers from my previous job, and both had the same misinformation given to them. Seeing as I haven't been there personally, take this with a grain of salt.

Both customers were told to install a U.V. sterilizer and not a protein skimmer because 'they do the same thing' and a u.v. doesn't make a mess. The other is 'the secret tank additive' that keeps algae from sticking to your tank. They sell it as 'teflon for your tank!'. From what they tell me, they pour it out of a big bottle and into small ones to sell to you.

Can anyone else validate this claim?

gclackum
07-22-2007, 11:17 PM
I stop their regularly, Aaron is a great guy. He drove to Covington on a Saturday to help me set up my tank, actually he and his dad did all the work. His charge was gas money. They do get very busy at times and he has to do most of the sales. So you may have to wait. Nemo is mostly about the fish, however they do have a few corals. And really good prices!

atlfishes
07-23-2007, 9:01 AM
I've only had good experiences. Make sure you talk to Aaron, as he appears to be the most knowledgable. Can't beat the prices.

purpleGORILLA
07-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Yeah, i bought my Angel from there. He even helped me choose which fish and it is still healthy here in my tank after 3 months.

andregarcia_73
07-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Good experiences and bad! But the bad were my fault! Great Prices! Aarron is a good guy and his family also! He is the most knowledgeable but it never hurts to ask. This Place is great and I have been planning on another trip there! He does special order if you want!

olds350racer
07-23-2007, 6:26 PM
Thanks again to everyone that responded. It is good to hear all the positive feedback. All the positive opinions makes it an easy decision to shop there again. :)

Xyzpdq0121
07-23-2007, 11:16 PM
I say stop by again and give them a second shot....

I am on the other side from everyone here, I am not fond of the place myself. I keep going back about twice a month and each time I walk out shaking my head. Aaron is nice but most of the times I am there, he is not. His "mother" does not speak the best english so when she is the only one there it is hard to get a question answered. I have heard of the "pushing" of UV over a skimmer first hand. I like to test LFS by asking stupid questions and seeing the answers I get. That was one of the answers I got. No surprise to me since they sold UVs and not skimmers! The prices change depending on what family member you are dealing with. There is always a few fish in there that are either dead or pretty close to it. I have never seen the tanks without Ich so make sure you are QTing your fish. Now, I will say their prices are good and you run into these problems at many LFS so it is not out of the norm but not my first place to shop or visit. But give ANYPLACE a second or third visit to make up your own mind.

DannyBradley
07-23-2007, 11:37 PM
A note on good prices - A lot of times with fish, you get what you pay for. There are of course, exceptions, but most of the times you get more value with market prices. More profit can mean more money to pay better and hire better employees. When I was running a fish room, I refused to compete on price. Petco and Petsmart compete on price. Who among us won't be more willing to spend more at a store that offers fair market prices in exchange for better service and quality? Well there was this one guy that kept eating up all my time and would only buy from Petco, but other than him...

The perfect example is Hoffer's Tropic Life Pets in Wisconson. They charge more for their fish than anyone in the area, yet they have people drive from out of state to shop at their facility. They have a small classorom in the back for training their employees, who only are offered a job after passing an exam. The facility is spotless and decorated like a rainforest. It's taken them 30 years to build that business, but they're doing it right.

Xyzpdq0121
07-24-2007, 11:19 PM
A note on good prices - A lot of times with fish, you get what you pay for. There are of course, exceptions, but most of the times you get more value with market prices. More profit can mean more money to pay better and hire better employees. When I was running a fish room, I refused to compete on price. Petco and Petsmart compete on price. Who among us won't be more willing to spend more at a store that offers fair market prices in exchange for better service and quality? Well there was this one guy that kept eating up all my time and would only buy from Petco, but other than him...

The perfect example is Hoffer's Tropic Life Pets in Wisconson. They charge more for their fish than anyone in the area, yet they have people drive from out of state to shop at their facility. They have a small classorom in the back for training their employees, who only are offered a job after passing an exam. The facility is spotless and decorated like a rainforest. It's taken them 30 years to build that business, but they're doing it right.

I could not agree more!!!!

charlieborg
11-08-2007, 1:21 AM
I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT GOOD EXPERIENCES AT NEMO. I have gotten several fish and some inverabrates from them. They all lived and are still living. Love my blue faced angle!

Jgoal55
11-08-2007, 3:42 AM
I am a big fan of nemo fish.....great prices and usually healthy fish....occassionaly i have seen ich in their tanks but i have seen that in just about every LFS from here to miami at one time or another.....I dont care where I get my fish I am QTing the sucker......

Aaron is super honest and will tell you straight up if he doesnt think you should purchase something in his store. The last fish I bought there was a flame angel because I traded a nudibranch in there and the fish is doing amazingly well.

Without a doubt, I would QT everything I buy there....but I would do that from any LFS or any online retailer for that matter.

Lastly, Aaron offers great personal service....when you order something from him...he calls you right away to let you know the fish have arrived....and he has no problem holding them a few days to make sure they are healthy before you buy.

Roland Jacques
11-08-2007, 7:25 AM
:yay: Edited
The other is 'the secret tank additive' that keeps algae from sticking to your tank. They sell it as 'teflon for your tank!'. From what they tell me, they pour it out of a big bottle and into small ones to sell to you.

Can anyone else validate this claim?

'teflon for your tank' I would like to no if they sell this, and what it is. There was a product that did what your discribing here. The product im reffering to was called Marine claifier by coralife. It was Very expencive and did work.

redterror
11-30-2007, 6:00 PM
I have gone there from opening date. I am glad/surprised they are surviving in the market. its not easy to float a fish business. they definitely worth supporting. I don't go there much now as I am mainly a FW guy.

Any1 remember Crown Tropical in Duluth? probably not, they closed after 1 month. it was another Asian owned place, I was hoping they would survive to compete w/Nemo. didn't happen.

Mizah00
11-30-2007, 6:41 PM
I remember that place!!! He closed before he got set-up. I bought one of his full tank set ups right before he closed. your right it was barely a month. im a big nemo supporter. if been going to him from day one when all he had was freshwater. I love family run stores ive spent so much with aaron im helping put his young son through college!!!!!!!excellent customer service from everyone in there all the time.

Spike
11-30-2007, 8:01 PM
I was at nemo's this past weekend. Fish looked great. His front display tanks had like 3 large puffers. The pond had a 2-3 ft shark.

Big Brother Salt
04-17-2008, 9:06 PM
I've gotten several fish from Aaron and his sister. They have always been on point, and cheaper then most locals. Plus they will special order and have it for you by Friday. As long as you order by Monday.

Amici
04-17-2008, 9:07 PM
Ive always thought this was a very cool store if you want to pick up a unique fish or just look around.

olds350racer
05-23-2008, 10:03 AM
I just wanted to bring up this thread to give credit to Nemo. I have since gone back a few times. Everytime I received excellent service, great prices and the fish health could not be better. Thanks for everyone that steered me back to the store and thanks to Nemo for a great store.

christopherjay
11-03-2008, 7:15 PM
I go to nemo fish at least 3 time a week..Aaron is like a brother to me now..I have had NOTHING but great expierences with aaron..His prices are always great..Aviarium is to over priced for my liking but I guess you get what you pay for..I still prefer nemo fish over aviarium any day..My wife wont walk into aviarium with me anymore..To many people hanging over my shoulder like we are shop lifters

andregarcia_73
11-04-2008, 7:24 AM
His fish quality has been improving and I have been back since. The key to a GREAT experience anywhere is selection. And Aaron is a pretty cool guy that will help you if you need something.

jmorgan315
05-19-2009, 4:50 PM
Like many others here, I have had nothing but good experiences at Nemo. I have been a frequent customer for over 2 years now and have been very pleased with the selection, price, and customer service. All of the fish I have purchased have been great quality fish and almost all are still thriving in my tanks now. For those who have never been there I highly recommend going and for those who havent been in awhile go again as they just restructured the store and are adding another large tank now. I agree with others about Aaron being a great guy. He is very honest and will let you know anything about the livestock and has no problem offering to feed them or tell you which ones to get or not get. Love this store

joshl
06-12-2009, 4:47 PM
great store

thanhreef
06-12-2009, 4:56 PM
I bought a few fishes from them in th past. Fishes are still healthy. I had the great experiences at Nemo. It's great store and they are always friendly

joshl
06-15-2009, 12:44 PM
and it is always nice when you can walk in at nemos and i havent been in there in 2 months and still they know be by my first name great store just bought another fish there yesterday and it is doing great!