View Full Version : noob clownfish/anemone question

Hammcd
08-23-2011, 10:03 AM
why dont anemones eat clownfish...ive never had an anemone before but plan on getting one...if other fish touch the tenticles will they be eaten?...just curious as to why clownfish are special...

Qasimja
08-23-2011, 10:11 AM
theres always a possibly that a anemone could try to eat a fish i believe

JennM
08-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Clowns can be eaten, I've seen it happen.

Once, my service tech was trying to separate a Clark's clown from its BTA to bag them up, and the clown DOVE into the middle of the anemone and went right down its "throat". Game over for the clown :(

That was sort of an odd circumstance, but it can and does happen.

Jenn

Crew
08-23-2011, 10:28 AM
I think the way it works is the anemone is trying to eat the clown, but the clown is immune to the sting?

StillFocus
08-23-2011, 12:34 PM
I think the way it works is the anemone is trying to eat the clown, but the clown is immune to the sting?

That's what I'd thought too. It's not like the anemone has sense enough to go "hey, that's Steve, he lives here".

Crew
08-23-2011, 12:39 PM
"hey, that's Steve, he lives here".

:lol2:

Qasimja
08-23-2011, 1:56 PM
That's what I'd thought too. It's not like the anemone has sense enough to go "hey, that's Steve, he lives here".

lol

UmbrellaCorp
08-23-2011, 2:21 PM

:lol3: :thumbs:

DawgFace
08-23-2011, 2:52 PM
From what I've heard there not immune at first, they work up an immunity to a peticular anemone.

brad
08-23-2011, 3:11 PM
I thought it was the slime layer that protects them from the stings. I wonder if it just protects them from the nematocysts, or if the slime layer stops the anemone from discharging them. If thats the case it may not register that "food" is close by.

StillFocus
08-23-2011, 4:17 PM
Their behavior when they first start to host seems like they're building up an immunity. I've never seen one just dive right in.

Hammcd
08-23-2011, 4:21 PM
Their behavior when they first start to host seems like they're building up an immunity. I've never seen one just dive right in.
like getting into a hot bathtub

i just wondered why its only clowns

blixem
08-23-2011, 10:19 PM
I was reading up on this a few weeks ago, from what I gathered the stinging portion of the anemone is keyed to sting anything with a certain "taste". AKA anything that could be food or a competitor. Clowns and certain other fish produce a coating that makes it fall out of the "must sting it" category. It's the same principal as to why they don't sting rocks, or their "other self" when they split, yet they will sting another nem of the same species that doesn't have the same genes.

I always thought clowns were always getting stung but were immune as well, of course the above makes a lot of sense when you remember that when an anemone stings it discharges toxins which is very taxing on the anemone to replenish.