View Full Version : LED opinions

DawgFace
07-07-2011, 8:44 PM
Ok so I have been scrounging the internet on recommendations and opinions on LED for the past 6 hours. Thread after thread I've read there is a massive divide on personal opinions on whether they're worth the money. Many claimed they have experience limited growth opposed to T5 and MH.
So ARC I come to whom I trust looking for personal opinions on the matter. Please give me your personal opinion and experiences with them. Also include what unit you have (led), how long you've had them, tank dimensions and corals in tank.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Sharkbait
07-07-2011, 8:47 PM
I'm tagging along with this. I just got home with my LED's that I got from Rob and will be doing my build here this weekend. Curious to see what some people who actually have LED's say.

DawgFace
07-07-2011, 8:50 PM
Not sure if this is allowed here or not... If it's not, I apologize in advance.

Thread I just got done reading over at r2r.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-discussion/63438-bye-bye-leds-hello-mh.html

db366
07-07-2011, 8:51 PM
I agree I have done a lot of reading on LED's and what to use and it seems to be more confusing now than it did before I started reading..

1 Watt leds, 3 Watts, 3 Watt Cree's, use red/yellow/greens to get more color and such.. Where is the facts that aren't biased because they are coming from someone who makes fixtures or something.

coolsurf
07-07-2011, 8:57 PM
I think all of us who went the route of the LED probably went through the same thing. When it finally came time to "pull the trigger", it was like well, here goes and let's hope for the best.

Here is a link I believe will help you a great deal. I had basically the same setup as his prior to him going LED and then I built my LED lighting almost the same way as him except for using different drivers. I am using the same LED's. http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?9113-DIY-3watt-LED-Lighting

Good luck!

Let me add...reds are good for growing algae...not something you want unless your putting in a sump.

bruce 1
07-07-2011, 9:02 PM
I put LEDs in my 14gal biocube and the corals are growing like nuts. All that is in it are softies and 2 LPS frags. My new tank I am planning will have LEDs in it.

DawgFace
07-07-2011, 9:05 PM
I think all of us who went the route of the LED probably went through the same thing. When it finally came time to "pull the trigger", it was like well, here goes and let's hope for the best.

Here is a link I believe will help you a great deal. I had basically the same setup as his prior to him going LED and then I built my LED lighting almost the same way as him except for using different drivers. I am using the same LED's. http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?9113-DIY-3watt-LED-Lighting

Good luck!

Let me add...reds are good for growing algae...not something you want unless your putting in a sump.

Great thread!!

Thanks!

jbadd99
07-07-2011, 9:06 PM
I'll add more to this next week when I'm back in town, but I went the route of 120w (1w LEDs) Pacific Sun units. No complaints so far.

Zoas, RBTA, leather, birds nest all seem to be doing good

MvM
07-07-2011, 9:39 PM
I think it would be pretty easy to put a halide unit over a current LED tank to see the immediate changes. If anyone has a full 250W halide set up, I'd like to borrow it to see. I have an open system so it would be easy to test. So far, I am more than happy with me AI SOL Blues....

Not sure if this is allowed here or not... If it's not, I apologize in advance.

Thread I just got done reading over at r2r.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-discussion/63438-bye-bye-leds-hello-mh.html

DawgFace
07-07-2011, 9:44 PM
I think it would be pretty easy to put a halide unit over a current LED tank to see the immediate changes. If anyone has a full 250W halide set up, I'd like to borrow it to see. I have an open system so it would be easy to test. So far, I am more than happy with me AI SOL Blues....

How long have you had them?

MvM
07-07-2011, 9:56 PM
I switched in early May. So far, I have zero complaints. Coral growth is better (although I did add a cal reactor). Color is better too. That's why I'd like to try the halide test. It seems a lot of people in that thread had DIY fixtures. Maybe that's the problem?

DawgFace
07-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I switched in early May. So far, I have zero complaints. Coral growth is better (although I did add a cal reactor). Color is better too. That's why I'd like to try the halide test. It seems a lot of people in that thread had DIY fixtures. Maybe that's the problem?

That was mu thoughts exactly! Everyone that had AI units seemed to love both the growth and look. Troylee's only complaint was with selling his corals people were complaining they didn't look the same under MH.... no ****! I think thats 90% of the reason for them, no?

coolsurf
07-07-2011, 10:02 PM
It seems a lot of people add too much blue. I have a lot of folks who tried to encourage me to go 2:1 blue to white...I went 1:1 and love the color. 2:1 would have been way too overdone IMO and probably would have resulted in poor growth. All part of the planning process before you get started I think.

DawgFace
07-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Isn't AI 2:1?

Also I've heard 2:1 adds more par futher down? I have a 30'' depth, whatcha think?

MvM
07-07-2011, 10:07 PM
I am at 70% on both blues and 65% on the whites. The whites do turn off early to simulate SR/SS. Money well spent, I think.

coolsurf
07-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Isn't AI 2:1?

Also I've heard 2:1 adds more par futher down? I have a 30'' depth, whatcha think?

Not sure on AI. Light is also controlled by optics. I am not using any so that may have something to do with it as well. I didn't consider that when I responded. I went with a DIY so I could get the results I wanted instead of being force fed of what was out there. That's the main advantage of a DIY. I can fine tune all my LED's and adjust for color/brightness/sunset/sunrise/moonlight and thunderstorms as I desire. Is it the best way? I don't know but it works to the specs I designed it for which is typically outside the norm of most LED lights. I must add, the light is softer and not as harsh as MH. Kind of cool I think. More shimmer with an LED as well.

MvM
07-07-2011, 10:16 PM
I agree the shimmer with LEDs is nuts.

coolsurf
07-07-2011, 10:20 PM
I agree the shimmer with LEDs is nuts.

It takes a bit to get used to.

I'm not here to convince one way or the other. Keep researching and asking until you come up with your definate answer of what will work for you.

cr500_af
07-07-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm about to do a DIY on my anemone tank project, and I have to source some raw LEDs. I thought I had a deal for 10 whites along with my blues, but it turns out I have no whites... so I have to find about 10-15 white 3w LEDs.

I've been trying to read up just to know what type of CREEs to order and now I have a headache. There are a ton of varieties and the more I read the less I have sorted out. I feel for you guys who have done it; all I'm trying to do is order a dozen or so and it's like trying to Google particle physics!

DawgFace
07-07-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm about to do a DIY on my anemone tank project, and I have to source some raw LEDs. I thought I had a deal for 10 whites along with my blues, but it turns out I have no whites... so I have to find about 10-15 white 3w LEDs.

I've been trying to read up just to know what type of CREEs to order and now I have a headache. There are a ton of varieties and the more I read the less I have sorted out. I feel for you guys who have done it; all I'm trying to do is order a dozen or so and it's like trying to Google particle physics!

Amen!

Crew
07-07-2011, 10:35 PM
From the research I have done, LED's received a bad reputation with growth early on because people assumed that white and blue was all you needed.. Turns out royal blue is more in the coral growth spectrum and blue is not. From the people that I have talked to for my build advice, they are getting great growth using just royal blue and cool white. Different people, different ratios, but I do know 2 people, one guy is 1:1 and one is 2:1 rb:cw and both of them are having great growth

Seth The Wine Guy
07-07-2011, 10:43 PM
I say do a LED tour of tanks. See for yourself what looks good. The more tanks you see the better perspective you will have. I'm running AI blues and have had explosive coral growth in some areas and not so great in others. My hornets grow at an astonishing rate (IMO) A BOD member and I got a hornet frag at the same time from the same person. In that time he went from 4 heads to 5. I went from 5 heads to 25+. He obviously knows what he's doing having been in the hobby much longer than I and very involved in the ARC community. Difference is he has MH and I have LED.
But, he experiences incredible SPS growth while mine is slow. I only have my Whites at 51%. Maybe I should ramp them up over the next month.

DawgFace
07-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Any opinions on Maxspect?

MvM
07-07-2011, 11:24 PM
From what I heard, the early fixtures where not that good. Not sure about the new ones, though.