View Full Version : Gambusia / mosquitofish

hhughes
07-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Does anyone know if there's a local store or perhaps even a sponsor that can order these?

ichthyoid
07-03-2011, 1:11 AM
I don't know about ordering them, but I do know where to catch millions of them in Florida (literally millions!). They should not be difficult to get.

hhughes
07-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Alas, I'm not in florida. :-p

I can order 25 off ebay for $30 (or 50 for $40, but that's too many). I just like supporting stores when possible.

Midas
07-03-2011, 8:32 PM
Are you looking for Gambusia Affinis, or any type of Gambusia? You can find Gambusia in nearly any body of freshwater in the US, or around the world, and all of them will eat mosquito larvae. I read that this fish is the most widespread species in the world, and I believe it. We added about 20 to our pond a few years ago, and I am pretty sure we now have about one kazillion. You're welcome to some of ours.

Wow, at 25 for $30 - my kazillion minnows are worth a fortune!

hhughes
07-03-2011, 9:18 PM
Midas, that would be fantastic. I just need a few dozen; I have a small pond, and I'll probably keep a few in a tank to make sure I don't lose them.

Are you going to the next meeting?

Midas
07-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Not certain if I am going to the meeting, but I think I will make it. If so I will bring a few dozen for you.

hhughes
07-04-2011, 10:33 PM
That'd be fantastic :)

kizniche
09-23-2011, 9:12 PM
I recently moved into an old home near Grant Park in Atlanta. My back yard is plagued with an unholy amount of mosquitoes. I believe I've traced the source to a stagnant small pond.

I came across this forum and this post doing a search for Gambusia, because I would really like to let a few loose to try to curb the mosquito problem.

I have had much trouble finding a distributor in/near Atlanta, and as hhughes pointed out, they can sell for quite a penny online/ebay.

If, Midas, you would be willing to spare some more, or if anyone has information for where I can obtain these little swimmers, I would be very appreciative.

Appaloosa1224
09-28-2011, 5:38 PM
Any fish store should be able to order these for next to nothing. We sell them as feeders, actually.

BigJohn
10-14-2011, 8:21 PM
go to a lake or pond, where there is plants in the water, I caught maybe half a dozen and put them in the pond at my house, now we have 50-100 of them in one summer.