View Full Version : Evolution LED 200w Hybrid

purpleGORILLA
06-03-2011, 7:43 PM
I have been wanting to convert to LED ever since they first came out. I actually ordered a 72 inch Solaris one day after getting tired of spending for new MH bulbs. However after waiting over 30 days from Solaris, reality sets in that my wife would have killed me if she sees the $3200 charge on the credit for the light. I ended up cancelling it. That was about 2.5 years ago. Solaris has gone out of business and the prices of LEDs have dropped significantly.

Recently, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a LED light from a company called Evolution LED. I chose this light because it was affordable, has U.S. resellers and good online reviews on several of the popular reef forums including Reef Central.

I emailed one of the reseller (Reefkoi) with several questions and wanted a recommendation of lights for my tank. I have a Marineland Deep 200. The measurements of my tank are 48 x 36 x 27. I was running 3 Double Ends 250w Phoenix in front with my LumenArc Stealth reflectors and 4 T5 in the back with 2 bulbs being actinic and 2 bulbs being daylight.

He suggested I get 2 of the 200w Evolution LED lights. With the price tag of $499 each, I had to think over before spending over 1k for the ligth . I really don't mind if the LEDs will give me the same results as what I have been using with my Metal Halides but spending that much to be a guinea pig was not my idea. I ended up ordering only one 200w Evolution LED light to replace 2 of my 250w Lumenarc Stealth reflectors instead.

It has been about a month and not only have SPS have grown but retained a deeper color. I ordered the 14k however it looks slightly more purple than my Phoenix 14k 250w. They have a 20k version but there were several negative reviews in terms of color rendition. I was more interested in the penetration of the light and Par readings more than color.

This light is a 1w and not the 3w. I did a research in term of 1w vs. 3w bulbs. Several sites claim that 3w bulbs are over-driven and therefore will not be as efficient as 1w bulbs. However I am not here to debate on which bulbs are better. I was more interested in a light that works and affordable.

So here are some pictures. The one of the left is the 250w Phoenix 14k and on the right is 200w Evolution Hybrid.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/purpleGORILLA/IMG_0393.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/purpleGORILLA/IMG_0392.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/purpleGORILLA/test.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/purpleGORILLA/IMG_2189.jpg

Miami Dolfan
06-03-2011, 7:53 PM
This is practically the same unit I had posted earlier and had removed. Lets see how long it stays up. No intention to dampen your post. I looked at these also and was going to purchase them as well.

purpleGORILLA
06-03-2011, 8:04 PM
This is practically the same unit I had posted earlier and had removed. Lets see how long it stays up. No intention to dampen your post. I looked at these also and was going to purchase them as well.

If you can find another reseller for the same exact light for cheaper I am willing to purchase another for the other side. But like I say in the other post, there are a lot of similar lights. A lot of reseller have them custom to their needs.

coolsurf
06-03-2011, 8:11 PM

I was wondering what happened to it???

I really cannot find an LED light that gives a true color I am looking for with the ability to create your own lighting/adjustments. Also add to the mix the ability of being Arduino/RKE compatable. I really think a DYI gives you that control with utilizing the LED's of "your" choice.

Just my .02

Miami Dolfan
06-03-2011, 8:12 PM
But like I say in the other post, there are a lot of similar lights. A lot of reseller have them custom to their needs.
I agree....I'm not knocking these. These look like good units. I have spoken with Chris many a time but I needed 3 and that put me over the 1k mark.

db366
06-03-2011, 8:18 PM
Are these dimmiable units? The biggest selling point for AI units for me is the features that go with the controller and even though it's just for looks the storm effect.

purpleGORILLA
06-03-2011, 8:23 PM
Unfortunately these aren't adjustable. It comes with 2 plugs with each operating the 2 different colors of LEDs. With the price of $499, I guess I am not really expecting much except of a close duplication of my Metal Halide lights. At least now my chiller is not working as much and electrical bill have gone down.

Miami Dolfan
06-03-2011, 8:25 PM
At least now my chiller is not working as much and electrical bill have gone down.

That alone is a double++

db366
06-03-2011, 8:28 PM
I guess for a larger tank that is a great price. I am gonna go with some LED's more than likely in Oct. and since I will only need 1 AI unit that price really isn't that much better.

coolsurf
06-03-2011, 8:36 PM
I guess for a larger tank that is a great price. I am gonna go with some LED's more than likely in Oct. and since I will only need 1 AI unit that price really isn't that much better.

For the cost savings you can't beat it. If your looking for a DIY, LMK, I have some good info I can share. I'm about to start mine...just waiting for it all to come in.

bruce 1
06-03-2011, 8:50 PM
For the cost savings you can't beat it. If your looking for a DIY, LMK, I have some good info I can share. I'm about to start mine...just waiting for it all to come in.

Well please share it with me. I want to do LEDs on the new tank. And it is going to be a 240gal.

coolsurf
06-03-2011, 9:01 PM
Don't want to hijack the thread but I am going with Bridgelux 3w cool white and 3w blue. Instead of going with a conventional LED driver, I am using Steve's dimming drivers and a main power supply. I will be posting a DIY thread on the entire setup very soon as I am doing a whole new tank and this will all be detailed out. JAustin is doing an LED build as well. Here is a good link to help you out with some planning factors and yes, I am going with Aliexpress as well...http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?9113-DIY-3watt-LED-Lighting

Sorry about the hijack :)

If you need more info, please go ahead and PM me....

Miami Dolfan
06-03-2011, 9:33 PM
I wish I had the time for DIY but I don't.

georgiadawg
06-03-2011, 9:50 PM
tagging along

Rbredding
06-04-2011, 7:06 AM
I like it.. the evolution looks to be what I've been looking for (a direct replacement for a metal halide lamp).

I can't really tell by the picture, but it looks like the transformer is located within the housing, (no external driver on the cord)..

what are the physical dimensions of the unit?

purpleGORILLA
06-04-2011, 7:11 AM

DIY is great. However I don't have the time nor the expertises in soldering individual LED's into the heatsink. Here is a question for the DIY'ers. How are you planning to protect the heatsink and the LEDS from the salt creep and corrosions?

Edit: I like it.. the evolution looks to be what I've been looking for (a direct replacement for a metal halide lamp).

I can't really tell by the picture, but it looks like the transformer is located within the housing, (no external driver on the cord)..

what are the physical dimensions of the unit?

Everything is located inside the unit. If you want the exact size dimensions, you can do a search on Evolution LEDs'. They have different sizes. But I think this one is 18-20 inch long. NOt exactly sure.

coolsurf
06-04-2011, 7:33 AM
DIY is great. However I don't have the time nor the expertises in soldering individual LED's into the heatsink. Here is a question for the DIY'ers. How are you planning to protect the heatsink and the LEDS from the salt creep and corrosions?

Very fair question. The light will be suspended so I really don't anticipate any salt creep. As for corrosion, a thin clear coating over the entire piece. This will not affect light output nor the aluminum. I thought about anodizing as well. When I said for the cost savings you can't beat it I was referring to the unit you are looking at. I should have specified.

Rbredding
06-04-2011, 7:37 AM
Everything is located inside the unit. If you want the exact size dimensions, you can do a search on Evolution LEDs'. They have different sizes. But I think this one is 18-20 inch long. NOt exactly sure.
gotcha.. the reason I asked is because I've found in a couple instances, the dimensions on the sellers website differ from the actual unit delivered (not drastically, maybe 1/2" or so)

but it can make a difference..

RedStang
06-04-2011, 7:38 AM
Tagging along. The 120w unit may be perfect for my BC29....

texhorns98
06-04-2011, 7:39 AM
Why did the other thread get removed?

Rbredding
06-04-2011, 7:44 AM
which retailer did you use ? (you said that some of them order custom units..)

I noticed that they DO have a model that comes with a controller that will dim white/blue separately..

purpleGORILLA
06-04-2011, 7:45 AM
Why did the other thread get removed?

I think MiamiDolphin's thread has good intentions but he didn't provide a link nor prices that would fit into the new Forum's group buy rule.

Rbredding
06-04-2011, 7:46 AM
it was a group buy?

I thought you meant that you posted a REVIEW, and THAT was removed...

purpleGORILLA
06-04-2011, 7:50 AM
it was a group buy?

I thought you meant that you posted a REVIEW, and THAT was removed...

I don't think his was a review. He hasn't gotten it. He was trying to gather people to purchase it with him to drive the shipping cost and possibly the prices of the light down. That was what I was assuming from reading the thread.

Edit: which retailer did you use ? (you said that some of them order custom units..)

I noticed that they DO have a model that comes with a controller that will dim white/blue separately..

I used Reefkoi because he was able to answer most of my questions. When I say custom, if you look at Evolution light and compare to other lights straight out of China. The ratio of the LEDs are slightly different and the lens are different, especially with the new Hybrid model they just came out.

http://reefkoi.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=2039

tgriffin
06-04-2011, 8:24 AM
These look nice! I'm assuming 2 units would completely cover your tank where it would probably require 4 AI units to cover the same area. That's a grand in savings. Keep us posted. I'm assuming you are planning on getting another one soon? I might have missed that, sorry if I did! Looks Great

purpleGORILLA
06-04-2011, 9:01 AM
These look nice! I'm assuming 2 units would completely cover your tank where it would probably require 4 AI units to cover the same area. That's a grand in savings. Keep us posted. I'm assuming you are planning on getting another one soon? I might have missed that, sorry if I did! Looks Great

Yes, I wanted to experiment with one first to see how the PAR readings were and how my corals were affected before I sink another $499 for the other side (LEFT). I did a reading with 3 (250w) vs. 1 (250w) 1 (200w-LED). Just need to post that picture.

As for the Aqua Illumination fixtures. They are nice however for the coverage of my tank, I needed more than 2. However I would love to get one and do a side by side comparsion in term of PAR reading and coverage.

Miami Dolfan
06-04-2011, 9:12 AM
I don't think his was a review. He hasn't gotten it. He was trying to gather people to purchase it with him to drive the shipping cost and possibly the prices of the light down. That was what I was assuming from reading the thread.

Let me clarify..I stated on my post that the price listed was the price including shipping. I don't understand where the confusion is coming from. After Dave's(Acroholic)post, I now understand why it was deleted. I could have been told to correct it before it was deleted, but I read somewhere that you will not be notified before the deletion. So, basically, you have wasted your time typing all the information and adding the pictures without a note or warning of deletion. I don't think that is right.

purpleGORILLA
06-04-2011, 9:19 AM
Let me clarify..I stated on my post that the price listed was the price including shipping. I don't understand where the confusion is coming from. After Dave's(Acroholic)post, I now understand why it was deleted. I could have been told to correct it before it was deleted, but I read somewhere that you will not be notified before the deletion. So, basically, you have wasted your time typing all the information and adding the pictures without a note or warning of deletion. I don't think that is right.

I understand your point! I think this club is more about sharing ideas and helping to spread responsible Reef keeping practices. The least they could do was to inform you prior to delete that you need more information and put it as temporary hold. However I guess a lot of moderators either dont' have the patience or time since they are doing this as a volunteer, they figured you have read the rules. That is just my opinion, I have no say in any of this. I was just giving you my suggestions :unsure: I think the part you need to emphasize most is a legit website that shows prices and etc...

Miami Dolfan
06-04-2011, 9:33 AM
I understand your point! I think this club is more about sharing ideas and helping to spread responsible Reef keeping practices. The least they could do was to inform you prior to delete that you need more information and put it as temporary hold. However I guess a lot of moderators either dont' have the patience or time since they are doing this as a volunteer, they figured you have read the rules. That is just my opinion, I have no say in any of this. I was just giving you my suggestions :unsure: I think the part you need to emphasize most is a legit website that shows prices and etc...

I appreciate you :thumbs: