View Full Version : Vortech noise

Smallblock
04-20-2011, 5:09 PM
How loud is a tuned in vortech? I just got an mp10 and man its noisy is this normal. Also how hot do they get

cbj25
04-20-2011, 5:10 PM
Same th

Hnguyen
04-20-2011, 5:11 PM
They run pretty loud and hot. Mines do the same and it's brand new. I think that's just how they are.

jmaneyapanda
04-20-2011, 5:22 PM
Incorrect. Mine are silent. I run six MP40Ws and 2 MP10ws, and none make noise. The just need to be set up properly. Did yo follow the directions exactly on setting them up?

Hnguyen
04-20-2011, 5:29 PM
I set mines up as per the I instruction and they do make noise when they ramp up to 100%. I run them on the nutrient transport mode. I notice no vibrations or the likes.

jmaneyapanda
04-20-2011, 5:30 PM
I was referring to the comment to "thats how they are". Mine are not. Even at 100%. Nonetheless, how they are setup is paramount.

Smallblock
04-20-2011, 5:30 PM
I did and I have 1/4 inch glas and followed the instructions

jmaneyapanda
04-20-2011, 5:35 PM
Both side of the glass completely clean? Any paint or background material on the back of the tank>|? And the wetside screen locked in place? If so, run them on low for a few days to "break them in" then see what happens.

Smallblock
04-20-2011, 5:43 PM
I will do, The wetside will stay in place when I remove the dryside. The unit is lightly used so I assume its broken in already thanks for the advice I will keep screwing with it. One more thing is it ok to run it full blast for hours on end?

jmaneyapanda
04-20-2011, 5:46 PM
yes it is. If the wetside is sticking, that isnt normal. Clean the wetside and glass

Smallblock
04-20-2011, 5:52 PM
I found something wierd, I took the wetside apart and it looks like the square was has spun in its housing. What would have caused this?

Edit: pic coming in a sec

Edit: Or is this how they attach the axle to the housing?

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x424/Smallblock0113/Tank/DSC01626.jpg

jmaneyapanda
04-20-2011, 6:14 PM
Im not sure if thats normal or not, but if the shaft isnt secure, the propeller will wobble, and that itself will cause a vibration. Does the end of the white shaft "pin" into the shroud?

Acroholic
04-20-2011, 6:14 PM
Save that pic to send to EcoTech customer service. That shouldn't be like that, I think. The white square is ceramic, and should be glued to the black square indent and shouldn't move. That is probably the cause of your noise. It spun when it should be fixed. Looks like yours spun and melted the black plastic of the wet side. Good thing Ecotech has first class CS, IME.
Reason I know is my MP60s came in damaged and the ceramic washer on mine cracked. It was glued in place on the 60.

Smallblock
04-20-2011, 6:31 PM
no the spinlde is fixed and tight

MvM
04-20-2011, 7:46 PM
I have owned several MP40s and 2 MP10s. They will "whine" when at 100%. I have never seen any that are silent at 100%. No doubt about it....

jmaneyapanda
04-20-2011, 7:51 PM
come to my house.

Ralph ATL
04-20-2011, 8:00 PM
mine are silent......however, when they do make noise, I have noticed one of two things...the wet side slid down a hair, or they need cleaning....I clean them once a month (wet side in 50-50 vinegar, small brush and a toothbrush).....my right side dropped to the sand once, after cleaning, no issue.

They are silent unless they (or glass) need to be cleaned....

Smallblock
04-20-2011, 8:00 PM
The real story was just revealed to me and I remember now. I was about to put it in the tank and was crouching down pluggin it in and had my wife holding both ends. I remember so clearly now she was messing with it and when I turned around she was mocking how it went together and the magnetic force pulled it togethor and it ran for maybe 5 secs before I screamed NOOOOO and unplugged it. At least she was honest when I asked her if she rememberd it running while it was out of the tank.

Edit: If I could only get back the amount of money she has cost me over the years :(

Edit: I guess this sort of damage would mock the damage caused by not using the supplied spacer if you had really thin glass, which isnt covered by warranty.

MvM
04-20-2011, 8:30 PM
Will do. How far are you from lake Rabun?
The mp10 I had was so loud that I thought it was the alignment. I ran the dry side w/o the wet side and it sounded the same. My wife asked if a 747 was going to land in our bedroom. I told her to wait a few minutes.:lol2:

come to my house.

Smallblock
04-20-2011, 8:32 PM
The noise I hear is coming from the dry side. Will any damage occur to the dry side if ran like I explained

MvM
04-20-2011, 8:42 PM
I don't care what the others say. My tank is silent, except for the vortechs. As they ramp up, you will hear a hum. I talked to Oz (Chris) about this. One of the reasons he switched from multiple mp40 to fewer mp60 was the noise. The more pumps you have, the more you will hear them. Again, there is no such thing as a silent vortech IMO.

jmaneyapanda
04-20-2011, 9:08 PM
I don't care what the others say. My tank is silent, except for the vortechs. As they ramp up, you will hear a hum. I talked to Oz (Chris) about this. One of the reasons he switched from multiple mp40 to fewer mp60 was the noise. The more pumps you have, the more you will hear them. Again, there is no such thing as a silent vortech IMO.

Fair enough. IMO, there is. I have 6 MP40ws on my 210. And I hear NONE of them them. even when I put my head 12" from them.

daniellin
04-20-2011, 9:19 PM
I own 2 MP10 and they are loud especially when they ramp up, and now I miss my old Koralia. They are bulky but pretty quiet at least.

Ralph ATL
04-20-2011, 9:46 PM
They should be silent...

Rbredding
04-21-2011, 6:49 AM
I've got an MP10 that makes noise.. (but I can only hear it if the skimmer is off)

so that's the rub...

are they silent? or can you just not hear them because of the other equipment?

mine's not silent...

on my reef tank.. the Tunze 6055s ARE silent...

tgriffin
04-21-2011, 7:02 AM
Both side of the glass completely clean? Any paint or background material on the back of the tank>|? And the wetside screen locked in place? If so, run them on low for a few days to "break them in" then see what happens.

Will they not operate quietly on a painted surface? I was planning on putting mine on the back glass......It's painted

jmaneyapanda
04-21-2011, 7:07 AM
Will they not operate quietly on a painted surface? I was planning on putting mine on the back glass......It's painted They will, but if theres a ripple or unevenness and the face cant sit uniformly flat, it will cause imbalance.

tgriffin
04-21-2011, 7:10 AM
thx

Amici
04-21-2011, 12:06 PM
They will, but if theres a ripple or unevenness and the face cant sit uniformly flat, it will cause imbalance.

I ran into this on my nano cube. It was really loud where I put it so when I took it off to clean I could see a slight ripple in the glass. I just decided to move it over a few inches at it works perfectly. It's not silent but from 12" away it's inaudible.

jcusmarine
04-21-2011, 12:58 PM
I have two MP10's, and I would not say they are silent. Pretty quiet though. Acceptable.

tgray3
04-21-2011, 2:19 PM
My MP10 is dead silent except when running in nutrient transport mode or short pulse. Then i can hear the dry side ramp up.

Acroholic
04-21-2011, 2:27 PM
I accept that J's are silent. Mine are very quiet, except when, like MvM said, at 100% or when they are doing the quick ramp up or down. I am running six MP40wES and two MP60s on three tanks, and they are all the same.

I also don't think the 60s are any quieter than the 40s like they were stating, but they aren't any louder, either. MP60s are truly awesome water movers.

The wet or dry side can get misaligned from time to time and if I ever hear anything more than the above, it means one is misaligned and the wet or dry side needs to be adjusted a millimeter in some direction.

The only time I have had an issue with unusual loudness from a dry side was when the main bearings in the dry side of one of my units needed to be replaced (an older MP20 > MP40 ES conversion). It was a loud grinding noise. I could hear it from 30 feet away with five tanks with sumps making noise in the background.

If anyone thinks they could have a bad bearing, here is the DIY I posted:

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50771&highlight=Vortech+bearing+replacement

Edit: My MP10 is dead silent except when running in nutrient transport mode or short pulse. Then i can hear the dry side ramp up.

I think it is the quick RPM change that makes all/most noise anyone hears with these pumps. I run NTM on all mine.

Smallblock
04-21-2011, 2:55 PM
Ecotech is AWESOME I just got off the phone with them and a new wetside is on the way free. I told the truth about what happend and he said well I've seen that happen before even when people do everything right. He said what you need is a new wetside and its on the way!!!! Go ecotech!!

mapleredta
04-21-2011, 3:31 PM
Ecotech is AWESOME I just got off the phone with them and a new wetside is on the way free. I told the truth about what happend and he said well I've seen that happen before even when people do everything right. He said what you need is a new wetside and its on the way!!!! Go ecotech!!
Their C/S is outstanding. Not only do you get an amazing product, you get service that is second to none.

Rbredding
04-21-2011, 4:30 PM
great to hear about your wetside.. (no, there's no joke in there anywhere)

Smallblock
04-21-2011, 4:54 PM
lol it still made me chuckle

Smallblock
04-26-2011, 4:08 PM
I got the new wet side in today. I cleaned both sides of the glass and installed it. I had no change in the noise. I called ecotech and spoke with Brett again. I held the phone up to the noisy dry side and he said what he thought it was was pretty rare. He said that rarely the magnet will rub on the inside of the dry side. Again he was great and a new dry side is on the way. I know I griped and complained about the price of these units but with customer service like this I'm hooked.

Acroholic
04-26-2011, 4:42 PM
Leave it to you to have the 1 in 1000 product defect!:doh:

daniellin
04-26-2011, 5:08 PM
Look like majority of members said their Vortechs are silent. Should I give Vortech a call since my MP10 (dry side ) is loud from day one and I brought new from Einstein Aquatics ?

Smallblock
04-26-2011, 5:36 PM
Leave it to you to have the 1 in 1000 product defect!:doh:

Thats what I told Brett, If they make a bad one I can pick it out!!!!

Edit: Look like majority of members said their Vortechs are silent. Should I give Vortech a call since my MP10 (dry side ) is loud from day one and I brought new from Einstein Aquatics ?

Yes give them a call, they are super duper nice and helpfull!!

Smallblock
04-29-2011, 11:52 AM
The new dry side came in this morning. You have to take the controller apart to unplug it from the circuit board. As soon as I put it on the tank I just new it wasnt working at all. I had to put my ear on it, touching it, It was working and basically silent.

So the moral of this story is dont be lazy if you have a noisey vortech. Get on the phone and do something about it!!!!!!!!!

angiegreenwell
04-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Mine were noisy. I emailed customer support and they asked me to hold the dry side to see if that was where the noise was coming from. Just by holding the dry side running without the wet side, the noise went away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Smallblock
04-29-2011, 12:21 PM
then you have a wetside problem. Mine was noisey without the wetside. Take it apart and see if you have a problem with the square washer inside if its ok then you may have to line it up better and make sure the glass is completely clean. Calling them is better IMO. I spoke to a guy named Brett both times. He was super cool. I didnt have to wait at all to speak with someone on both occasions

Acroholic
04-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Mine were noisy. I emailed customer support and they asked me to hold the dry side to see if that was where the noise was coming from. Just by holding the dry side running without the wet side, the noise went away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Off topic, but Angie, if your Avatar pic is of your reef then it is lookin' good. Love the cute little frag standing next to it as well!:)

Smallblock
09-13-2011, 4:47 PM
Still got problems, my replaced dry side is getting noisy again. Every few minutes and this is set on constant speed mode I hear a scrubbing noise like something is scrubbing on plastic inside the dry side. I guess I'll call them again tomar and see what they say. I'm pretty dissapointed in the quality of the mp10 vs mp40s. A couple of months ago I bought another mp10 and it seemed to be a little screwed up too. The dry side cap that has the rubber on it will pop off. I've looked at it and it was glued from the factory and isnt supposed to come off at all. Also the wet side foamy rubber gasket is way off centered. Looks like Ray Charles stuck it on? I figured QC would have caught something like that.

Edit: Also with the dry side cap off I turned on the unit to watch the innerds spin. Man they arent very balanced. The runout was not acceptable in my world. Very wobbly.

Smallblock
09-14-2011, 3:23 PM
Once again my man Brett at Ecotech stepped up. I've got 2 new drysides on the way and 1 new back for a wetside. They really take care of their customers. Always talk to BRETT!!!!!!!!!

PFCDeitz
09-14-2011, 4:14 PM
Bret is awesome dude He was the same guy i used

Smallblock
09-22-2011, 1:56 PM
OK I'm officialy ticked off with ecotech, I got the 2 new dry sides in for the mp10s no problem with those, My wetside axle/back came in to but there was no foamy gasket on the back WTH, I called brett back and he said he would check on that because there is no way one is supposed to leave the plant without the foamy gasket on the back. He asked me what I wanted to do, I said send me another back so I can ship this one back and show you this is how is was delivered. He said thats fine and one would be on the way. I also told him not to buy a return label that I would just return everything in the first box, you know save the company some money.

So today I get my new axle/back to the wetside. I open it up and there is water all over it. I look at it and the axle has black score marks on it. The square porcalin washer has the circular score marks on it to. This thing is used, not tested used but used for at least a month used? WTH ECOTECH.

Kirru
09-22-2011, 2:36 PM
Wow man, I have a night mode problem with my mp40.. the time seems to migrate over a period of time and so it changes over time.. SOO if I set for 12a.. a week in to it and the time will be at 1a... they said I had to BUY another one or send in mine for replacement.. I only have one... i still have yet to get it fixed.

Smallblock
09-22-2011, 2:47 PM
I thought there was a fix for it, like an update on the software.

Kirru
09-22-2011, 3:06 PM
Not that I know of. All i was told there was a fix in the new ones but to get mine fixed, I either had to buy a new driver or send my current one in for a refurbished one.

CarlitosReef
09-22-2011, 3:18 PM
So i guess the MP10 are not worth it.

Kirru
09-22-2011, 3:31 PM
Honestly, i think they are worth the hassle. I have seen a better response in my coral since owning one, tho, I think for the amount we pay for them, the issues should be none.. or at least close to it as possible.

Smallblock
09-22-2011, 3:34 PM
So i guess the MP10 are not worth it.

How did you get that out of all this? They are worth it but I have the worst luck, I can find the broken needle in any haystack. Its been a family curse for 2 generations now.

Kirru
09-22-2011, 3:54 PM
Someone must have walked under a huge ladder... or spilt a heck of a lot of salt lol

CarlitosReef
09-22-2011, 3:58 PM
How did you get that out of all this? They are worth it but I have the worst luck, I can find the broken needle in any haystack. Its been a family curse for 2 generations now.

Because I have continue to see bad reviews on the MP10 only. Perhaps you didn't bring some rocks or sand from Hawaii? :tongue2:

Smallblock
09-22-2011, 4:36 PM
lol not me bro

Kirru
09-22-2011, 9:21 PM
haha This cracks me up.

Anyway, Blake.. right? i can't remember if it is.. anyways.. again, what is the name of this person that you talked to at Ecotech? i really would like to get this problem solved with the night mode issue.

Smallblock
09-23-2011, 12:11 AM
His name is Brett

Kirru
09-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Ok, so I found out if I can get someone to let me borrow their VorTech driver, I can copy the firmware over to mine to correct any issues I am having, specifically creeping night mode. takes all of 2 and a half minutes according to the full manual of EcoTech's site.

So now I am putting this out there, does anyone have one I may borrow to get mine updated? I am in desperate need. Thanks all.

SRC: EcoTech's VorTech MP40wES Full Manual pages 36 and 37

Smallblock
12-22-2011, 1:17 PM
Update, So after months of working with Brett at Ecotech I think we finally have it figured out. I have a 72 bowfront tank older AGA I believe. I have 2 mp10s, one on each side of the tank. I measured the back glass of the tank and I believe its 3/8s. There is no other visible glass to measure on this tank.

After 4 replacment drysides we decided to try to supplied rubber spacer. With the new dry side it finally worked and didn't cause the dry side to start to scrub the inside mating housing.

So the moral of this story is I assume the sides of aga older 72 bowfronts are thinner than the back and are so thin that you need to use the spacer.

Brett was great and very generous, I even got an ecotech izold golf shirt out of the deal.

spankdog
12-22-2011, 9:37 PM
Just came across this thread and realized that my mp10 wetside looks just like yours did. I will contact ecotech tomorrow. My glass is 3/8

Seth The Wine Guy
12-22-2011, 10:10 PM
I gotta jump on the Ecotech bandwagon here. They are the poster child for "You get what you pay for".
I don't judge a product by the hiccups that happen with their products. It happens to everyone. I judge them by how they deal with those hiccups.

MvM
12-22-2011, 10:26 PM
I love vortechs. That being said, I bought 2 of Jeremy's and they are not silent. Worth the minimal noise, though.

CodSack
12-22-2011, 11:18 PM
If I purchased a used unit, will they still honor the warranty?

Heyitsmirix3
12-23-2011, 10:35 AM
If you don't have a receipt they will honor 1 year from date of manufacture on the back.

CodSack
12-23-2011, 11:46 AM
If you don't have a receipt they will honor 1 year from date of manufacture on the back.

That's cool, I got until June 2012

Dine
12-27-2011, 7:12 PM
That's cool, I got until June 2012

how is that mp10 working out for you?

Smallblock
12-27-2011, 7:40 PM
I didn't have a recipt or anything, I just gave them the serial number on the back.

CodSack
12-29-2011, 1:00 PM
how is that mp10 working out for you?

I got it in the Red Sea Max until I get the 50 cube up and running and I have some serious flow at 50% power. They do tend to make a little noise as you ramp em up to 100%. This may be a problem for me as my tank is in my bedroom. I'm wondering if a MP40 would be better at 50% vs a MP10 at 100% in the 50 gal cube.

CodSack
12-29-2011, 1:19 PM
I was also wondering if anyone has had any issues with putting the MP10's on the back with the rear painted glass. Does the extra layer of paint effect it any?

gnashty
12-29-2011, 1:30 PM
My MP40's are getting pretty noisy lately

Dine
12-29-2011, 1:32 PM
Illl let you know. I caved in and bought 2 40s for the new setup

CodSack
12-29-2011, 2:25 PM
My MP40's are getting pretty noisy lately

At what speeds?

LiveRock27
12-29-2011, 3:21 PM
I have 2 MP40 and 1 MP10 on my 90g and sometimes the 40s can be a little loud when I am either increasing the flow or chaninging the settings, but it is only for a minute or 2.

MvM
12-29-2011, 8:16 PM
I got it in the Red Sea Max until I get the 50 cube up and running and I have some serious flow at 50% power. They do tend to make a little noise as you ramp em up to 100%. This may be a problem for me as my tank is in my bedroom. I'm wondering if a MP40 would be better at 50% vs a MP10 at 100% in the 50 gal cube.

I have had both and thought the 10s were louder.

CodSack
12-29-2011, 9:39 PM
I have had both and thought the 10s were louder.

Thanks for the info, I may scoop a 40 soon. Hey also, what is the measurement on the dry side of the 40. The MP10 is 2 1/2, I need to make sure I have enough room back there before I fill the tank.

Dine
12-30-2011, 12:20 AM
the mp10 is 2.5 in? i just measured the 40 and it was an even 2in out.

CodSack
12-30-2011, 12:36 AM
the mp10 is 2.5 in? i just measured the 40 and it was an even 2in out.

My bad the Mp10 is 2 inches as well. Thanks for checking that for me, it's good to know if I get a 40 it will fit as well. I think i got a little confused because I got the tank at 2.5 off the wall to compensate for the MP10.