View Full Version : 220g with 90g "display refugium

Shrimpy Brains
04-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Alright, this has been a long time coming. Accidently acquired a Longhorn Cowfish about a year ago. She was only 1". I had her in a 20g long (for too long) while I built(had FishScales build) this set up.

The tanks are in-wall. 220g over 90g. Since, I wanted a display portion in the refugium, Chris came up with a great idea. He took some plastic sheeting, cut it, heated it and formed it so I starts in one front corner, curves back to about 5 inches from the back wall (there are 3 baffle walls behind there in the middle) then it curves again back to the opposite front corner. Pictures to follow will help explain.

Lots to do yet, and many more details to include, but for now.

220g contains:

Some softies and lps
clean up crew

1 Longhorn Cowfish 4"
1 Bristletail Filefish (so far reef safe)
1 Occelaris Clown
3 Percula Clowns (left that I raised) hoping will be ok as this is a large tank

Will have:

1 Blue Hippo Tang
2 Bellus Angels 1 male and 1 female
1 Fairy Wrasse of some sort (maybe a pair?)
3 Carberryi Anthias
Possibly another Anthias trio or Chromis or......suggestions

Considering for bottom Dwellers:

Pair of Barbershop Gobies
Trio of Pearly Jaws
Couple of Scooter Blennies or Dragonettes

Any other suggestions(all fish must be peaceful, due to the Cowfish)

Tank will be reef (softies and lps)

90g: Fish only with macros

Currently houses my seahorses (building them a new tank)

Once they move out, I plan to add 4-5 lionfish/scorpionfish

Anyway, my camera is not the greatest, but here are some pics.

Edit:

Edit:

Edit: More pics. but I guess I have to wait for someone else to post. Argh!

PFCDeitz
04-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Awesome tanks! Love the Cowfish

Shrimpy Brains
04-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks! Now I can post more pics. :yay:

1mbrews8
04-17-2011, 10:41 PM
my plate is coming back from the dead like that too! how long has yours been like that?
mike

PFCDeitz
04-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Wow I wish you did not live so far. Id come see this beauty

Shrimpy Brains
04-17-2011, 10:52 PM
my plate is coming back from the dead like that too! how long has yours been like that?
mike

Those pictures were taken the day after I moved the corals to this tank and some took a couple of days to get happy. I will try to get an updated pic in the next couple of days. (lights are out now)

Thanks PFCDietz. If you ever visit Helen(tourist trap) I am only 10 minutes from there! :up:

Here's some more pics! Including one of the back of the 90g for explanation. (yes, I need to clean up some hoses and wires)

rjrgroup
04-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Coolest fuge ever! :yay: Looking awesome Amy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DawgFace
04-22-2011, 4:51 PM
I saw that fuge in Chris's shop, I wondered WTH was going on with it.... Love it, great idea!

Thanh386
04-22-2011, 5:02 PM
Hey when ur seahorse have fry and are big enough I would love to buy a pair for my fuge

Shrimpy Brains
04-22-2011, 6:19 PM
Hey when ur seahorse have fry and are big enough I would love to buy a pair for my fuge

Well, if I get to that point, you are certainly welcome to a pair.

I have to say, though, I do not recommend keeping seahorses in your fuge. It is only a temporary solution for me, while I build my new seahorse tank.
Reasons not to do it:
Seahorses have no stomachs and must be fed at least 2x a day. They also poop allot. This can be very detrimental to a reef tank.
Seahorses should be kept a cooler temps, about 72-75 degrees is ideal.
Also, things that grow in most reef tanks can be detrimental to the horses. Example: small bristleworms may be snicked by a horse causing snout problems.
Plus, they will decimate your pods in the fuge.

Edit: I saw that fuge in Chris's shop, I wondered WTH was going on with it.... Love it, great idea!

Thanks! Having a display portion in my fuge was my idea. However, Chris(FishScales) came up with the curved plastic idea. He really is creative and made it better than I had imagined!

Thanh386
04-22-2011, 6:31 PM
I might reconsider than. Darn now I have to think of another fuge inhabitant. Maybe gigantic lobster

Shrimpy Brains
04-22-2011, 7:07 PM
I might reconsider than. Darn now I have to think of another fuge inhabitant. Maybe gigantic lobster

How large will your fuge be?

Thanh386
04-22-2011, 7:30 PM
The display area is about 12x28x18

vincenttyler
04-23-2011, 8:35 AM
Very nice, my next tank will be in wall too.

gixxer600
04-23-2011, 10:19 AM
nice looking tank Amy and glad to see you got some pics up. I love the cow fish as he looks very happy.

Shrimpy Brains
04-23-2011, 10:39 AM
The display area is about 12x28x18

It would be pushing it on size, but maybe a small angler, like a warty or painted?