View Full Version : Eco Plus vs. JBJ

siavashv
04-12-2011, 10:55 PM
I am looking for a chiller and think a 1/10 HP should do well on my 65 gal RSM 250. However, I was looking at the EcoPlus vs the JBJ Arctica. Price difference is probably $100.00. Is it worth the price to get the JBJ? Efficiency, quality and decibel level are top priority. I believe in buying the right thing the first time. But don't want to waste money. Ideas? Can I put it in the cabinet stand under my tank? I hope so.

texhorns98
04-13-2011, 8:48 AM
Tagging along. I might need a chiller now too.

Rbredding
04-13-2011, 8:50 AM
I'm not familiar with these models, but things you definitely want are: service fittings for freon (not all models have these - you may have to contact the manufacturer to find out), titanium exchanger, low dB rating for noise, low electrical useage (expressed in Amps)

Ruadh
04-13-2011, 9:01 AM
I have the JBJ 1/10 HP chiller on my RSM 250. It cools efficiently and is really quiet, I rarely notice it's on. I keep mine outside of the cabinet just to ensure the chiller has proper ventilation. My tank is pretty close to the wall and I didn't feel like running a fan inside of the cabinet. I also plan on plumbing a UV sterilizer into the return line of the chiller, so I doubt that would fit inside of the cabinet. How do you plan on plumbing it? Running two pumps in the right chamber or plumbing it up to the return line of your tank? ( you will only need 1 pump for this). If you have questions let me know.

Acroholic
04-13-2011, 9:17 AM
I have the Eco-Plus 1 HP chiller and it is quieter than the PCI 1/2 horse I replaced it with. It is working very well for me right now.

Eco-Plus is a Sunlight Supply product, makers of the Lumenmax Elite reflector and many other well known and widely used products, and I believe their product quality is considered good. At least I have never heard any complaints about Sunlight Supply products.

Really haven't heard anything bad about JBJ Chillers either. You'd do OK with either, IMO.

I think if you took the cover off a lot of most Asian built chillers of the same HP rating you'd have a hard time telling them apart.

texhorns98
04-13-2011, 9:49 AM
When you see a statistic like "cooling 10 degrees on 80 gallons...", what if I only need 4-5 degrees? Does the cost savings of going with 1/10HP get eaten up by the unit having to run more than a 1/5 or 1/4HP?

gthockey18
04-13-2011, 10:21 AM
I have the JBJ 1/10 HP chiller on my RSM 250. It cools efficiently and is really quiet, I rarely notice it's on. I keep mine outside of the cabinet just to ensure the chiller has proper ventilation. My tank is pretty close to the wall and I didn't feel like running a fan inside of the cabinet. I also plan on plumbing a UV sterilizer into the return line of the chiller, so I doubt that would fit inside of the cabinet. How do you plan on plumbing it? Running two pumps in the right chamber or plumbing it up to the return line of your tank? ( you will only need 1 pump for this). If you have questions let me know.

Same on my RSM250. JBJ 1/10 HP chiller but mine is in the cabinet. If I did it again I'd put it outside. I have to leave the door cracked open all the time to help with ventilation. It's a solid chiller, mine keeps the tank at 78 all day long. You won't be disappointed with the JBJ.

Acroholic
04-13-2011, 10:31 AM
All chillers need proper ventilation. Closing an chiller up in a non ventilated cabinet makes it have to work harder because the heat it removes from the water has nowhere to go. All chillers have READ ME warnings about proper ventilation. If you put a chiller in a cabinet, I would have a high CFM capacity fan pulling air out through one opening and another opening for fresh air to come in.

Rbredding
04-13-2011, 11:19 AM
When you see a statistic like "cooling 10 degrees on 80 gallons...", what if I only need 4-5 degrees? Does the cost savings of going with 1/10HP get eaten up by the unit having to run more than a 1/5 or 1/4HP?

to a point, it's better to slightly over size your chiller (from an efficiency standpoint)..

maybe it's best to find out how much flow you're planning on putting through it.. and then determining whether (@ Xgph flow) you're better off going with a chiller that will bring the water temp down 2* in 30 minutes, or whether you should get a model that will run for an hour to pull the temp down 2*..

Hnguyen
04-13-2011, 5:35 PM
You'll be fine with a 1/10 HP chiller. I run the ecoplus 1/10 HP on my 60 cube in which I run 400w Mh. It keeps my water at a cool 77 degree all day without running all day. It kicks on for about 5 min and off again for while before it comes back on. I love it!!

Now if you want to compare the a JBJ to an ecoplus. Ecoplus clams to be able to cool more water but that's debatable. I really like both and if you want to justify the $100 difference. Well JBJ as a 2 year warranty while ecoplus only has 1 year. That's where your $100 comes in to play. It gives you the peace of mind that come next your when you pull your JBJ out it will work or else you can file a clam and get it fixed for free. If you pull your ecoplus out next year and it doesn't work? Well your out of luck. Lol. I run the ecoplus and it's just as quite as the JBJ is. All in all both great chillers

spiderman097
04-13-2011, 5:42 PM
I have a 1/4 jbj chiller on my 75. And it's amazing, like seriously amazing. Quiet and efficient.

siavashv
04-13-2011, 7:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your input! I don't want to have to prop the door open to my cabinet to get the ventilation but I will have to figure something out. I unfortunately do not have the space to put something that bulky outside of the stand. I would rather drill a couple of holes in the side of the cabinet to provide that ventilation and get a fan in there. The back of the cabinet is almost all open though. We will have to see. Yeah Hoang, I think you have a great chiller... I have been wanting to get that but have been wondering the same thing about the warranty. And Dave, I totally believe you when you say that most of the Asian built electronics equipment might be manufactured by the same people if not all the same parts.

Also, I think it is totally true to get something that is a bit more than you need. A toyota corolla and Ferrari can both go 100mph, but after a couple thousand miles the corolla's nuts and bolts would be falling off while the Ferrari wouldn't have even broken a sweat.

Rbredding
04-20-2011, 8:13 AM
eh.. for the price, I'd rather have the 15 corollas.... but then again.. I only go over 100 on occasion..

siavashv
04-22-2011, 7:21 AM
I ended up getting the JBJ and it arrived the other day. Finally had the chance to hook it up last night. Let's see how it does. Seemed a bit loud at first but I guess it was trying hard to cool down the water initially.

Rbredding
04-22-2011, 7:29 AM
keep us posted.. I'm teetering on whether to get a new chiller... or just switch over to LEDs...

siavashv
04-24-2011, 7:01 PM
ok, so I have had the chiller running now for a few days and it has kept the tank temp down..:yay:

The only thing is that it is working like a madman... I have had to recalibrate the temp a few times since the thermometer and the chiller seem to disagree on the temp of the water. but it is more and more close to each other. I don't know what the chiller's affect on my power bill will be, but it has been working hard since I hooked it up. And it seems like it can't get the water down to 77 degrees that I have set it to. But I had a situation with ich and I know that people say that I should raise the temp to advance the life cycle of the ich but the temp going down and other factors have actually brought better results. It also isn't as quiet as I thought but it is a good chiller. I have no experience with the Ecosmart but I am pretty happy with the JBJ.

acpoweradapter
07-06-2011, 12:22 AM
I used a 1/10 JBJ on my tank with a 150hqi and it worked fine. I'd recommend it, but I don't see why one chiller would be much better than another.

flyboy93tr
07-10-2011, 4:51 PM
I have the jbj chiller on my 65 with a closed hood that hold two 150s and 2 t5's. The chiller can holds its own.