View Full Version : Sand Help

adams8229
07-24-2005, 4:59 PM
I want to thank Lisa for her help yesterday. I am new to the reef hobby and started a 55g with Quickrete playsand. I did not hink it looked right so I checked with her at a LFS and after research found that it was silica based sand. Last night I broke down the whole tank, cleaned all residue and put a mixture of crushed coral and sand(aquarium sand) this time. I now move on to ho to put base rock and live rock in to make my reef. Does anyone have any pointers on this and also, what does it mean to cure the live rock. Thanks

wildemon
07-25-2005, 9:53 AM
If the liverock you install has been kept alive from the time it was ocean collected, due to various events, the life forms on it will be dying off. This will probably continue in your new tank until stability returns, typically several weeks down the way. Now the good news is this is normal for everyone and just means you need to avoid adding additional animal life for a while. Those creatures that survive are what everyone is after and become the basis of your tank's micro community, such as amphipod bugs, tiny fanworms, coralline algea, possibly even larger surprises.

With base rock, most of the time there is not much except the bacteria which needs adjusting to your tank.

adams8229
07-26-2005, 6:43 AM
Thanks, If I want a good size reef but not too crowded, what would I do to make the live rock base, how many pounds of base rock and live rock for a 55g? I want to do this right, but at the same time I do not want to spend too much on live rock, i can wait for the base rock to become live. Again, thanks for the reply

SShindell
07-26-2005, 8:58 AM
Look on the ARC and TRT boards..Someone is selling cured rock from a tank they are breaking down, and this would be perfect for your tank at a fraction of the cost.

Steve