View Full Version : 300 Gallon DP Tank Build

cshoneyman
01-04-2011, 8:51 PM
Well I have decided that it is time to start my dream tank :yay:so I wanted to run the plan past a few people to make sure that I am not missing anything or potential problems. Similiar information was posted on another forum as well but this has been updated and I wanted to get fellow ARC members to comment.

I get to do this one time and want to make sure that I have all bases covered. This single tank will replace my cluster of three tanks and add a few gallons in the process.

The tank will primarily be a mix of LPS and lower demanding SPS but there is no telling where this tank may lead.

Feel free to give feedback so that I can fine tune this plan before moving forward. My goal is to have it up and running before June of this year so that will give me about 6 months to iron out the details and get all of the components purchased.

Tank
The tank is going to be approximately 300 gallons measuring 96x30x25 (Still havent made up my mind it may become a 375 measuring 96x36x25 lol the wife wont notice 6 inches will she?) with an external overflow on one end of the tank and the returns on the other (30x25 sides). The tank will be viewable on both sides and the 96x25 sides will be starphire glass. The overflow will be drilled with 3 - 1 1/2 bulkheads to accommodate 2 drains each and one its a bad day prevent the water on the floor.

Fuge
This tank is going to be a reuse of an existing tank. It will be a 75 gallon measuring 48x18x21 that is reef ready. I plan to use it to grow Chaetomorpha and house fish rejected from the main display for bad behavior. My plan is to feed it from one of the overflows from the main display which for some may seem backwards but it is the best I can do with my space restrictions.

Sump
The sump is going to be located in the basement of my home to remove the noise of water moving and pumps running. The sump will have a capacity approximately 190 gallons measuring 42x36x30 with baffles measuring 20" tall. This should have more than enough space to handle all of the water that would come to it in the event of a power failure.

This will give me a combined water volume of approximately 500 gallons total.

Return Pump
Return Pump will be a BlueLine 70 rated at 1750 GPGH but with the head loss I expect to get approximately 1200 GPH out of it. The return pump will pump through a chiller and a UV sterilizer prior to getting back to the tank.
I will also pull a sample stream to flow across the probes in the system and through the media reactors. If this proves to be too much then I will look at adding a pump to handle this process.
The pump will see an elevation rise of 16 feet from the bottom of the sump to the top of the return line. I plan to run 1 1/2 pipe the entire length to keep friction losses down to a minimum.

Circulation
I plan on using 4 Vortech MP40W ES pumps for wave action inside the tank. This is an area that I am not completely sure about and would like to hear feedback from the forum.

Protein Skimmer
I currently run a MRC MR-3 skimmer and it has performed well for me but I am considering changing to the Reeflo Orca Pro 2 Recirculation Protein Skimmer so that I can lower the amount of daily/weekly maintenance that is required.

UV Sterilizer
I plan on running a 80 Watt Emperor Aquatics Smart HO UV on this system with the return pump supplying it.

Chiller
I plan on running a Tradewinds 1 hp chiller with the return pump supplying it.

Lighting
Here is where the fun begins. I plan to run a full LED setup for the system to help on the electric bill and the heat load of the tank. My hope is that it will cost less to operate then my current 6 250 watt MH.

Plan is for 288 Cree LEDS on the display tank.

144 XP-G CW being driven by 2 HLG-240-42B making a total of 12 strings of 12 (each PS running 6 strings each) ~ .953 A each string at full power
144 XP-E RB being driven by 2 HLG-240-48B making a total of 12 strings of 12 (each PS running 6 strings each) ~ .833 A each string at full power

Plan is for 72 Cree LEDS on the Fuge and sump

72 XP-G CW being driven by 1 HLG-240-42B making a total of 6 strings of 12 ~ .953 A each string at full power. Half will go over the fuge and half will go over the sump in a reversed lighting sequence.

I look forward to hearing your comments on the proposed set up. My goal is to place the order for the tank by January 15th and the rest of the materials shortly there after. This should be an exciting build. For me at least :thumbs:.

cr500_af
01-04-2011, 8:58 PM
Sounds like a great tank!
As far as concerns, I only see two... feeding the 'fuge from an overflow... can you process the water from one 1.5" pipe through the overflows on the 75? It would be bad if it were slower than the flow capacity of what feeds it.

Second, IMO the return pump's flow is just enough, BUT I'd strongly consider adding one pump to feed a manifold for your chiller/UV etc rather than tapping them off of the return pump. I wouldn't give up any of those 1200gph if I could help it. It would also allow you flexibility to add reactors etc down the road if you decide to. Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful display.

Fish Scales2
01-04-2011, 8:59 PM
I was loving everything until I got to the LEDS. WOW.......Thats what I am talkin about. This will be one amazing build. Maybe a little much in the fuge but what the heck might as well. There are several things you should switch around a bit. For one the rr fuge, make both holes drains, imo you should redrill the return hole to accommodate a larger bulkhead. Have a ball valve off the drain that is feeding the fuge as well.

Who is building your tank?

cshoneyman
01-04-2011, 9:22 PM
Sounds like a great tank!
As far as concerns, I only see two... feeding the 'fuge from an overflow... can you process the water from one 1.5" pipe through the overflows on the 75? It would be bad if it were slower than the flow capacity of what feeds it.

Second, IMO the return pump's flow is just enough, BUT I'd strongly consider adding one pump to feed a manifold for your chiller/UV etc rather than tapping them off of the return pump. I wouldn't give up any of those 1200gph if I could help it. It would also allow you flexibility to add reactors etc down the road if you decide to. Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful display.

I have given that some thought and and have considered having a larger hole drilled in the fuge and having two ball valves on that one drain so only a portion of the flow will be sent to the 75 to ensure nice slow flow through it .

The return pump has given me a challange due to the head requirements. I have looked at the 1200 gallons and felt I would rather be closer to the 1500- 1700 gph mark but balancing that with electrical consumption can be a challange. For the reactors and such I have planned a 600 GPH pump dedicated to that function.

Thanks for the feedback

cr500_af
01-04-2011, 9:27 PM
In general, I'd avoid any sort of restriction (ball valve, etc) on an overflow. Even if your system can live with the reduced flow on that one, there is a possibility of a snail getting in the pipe and the valve will become the choke point... if he can't get through there, then that overflow is out of commission. Also, over time, algae etc can accumulate there.

If I were going to do the fuge that way, I'd opt for drilling additional or larger overflows into the 75g, so that it can handle the water volume from the overflow that feeds it running at 100% capacity (and then some).

You could opt for one larger pump that will flow enough to feed reactors/chiller/UV etc, then build a manifold that all these items will feed from. Ball valves are perfectly acceptable here, and will allow you to fine-tune the flow to each item separately.

cshoneyman
01-04-2011, 9:31 PM
I was loving everything until I got to the LEDS. WOW.......Thats what I am talkin about. This will be one amazing build. Maybe a little much in the fuge but what the heck might as well. There are several things you should switch around a bit. For one the rr fuge, make both holes drains, imo you should redrill the return hole to accommodate a larger bulkhead. Have a ball valve off the drain that is feeding the fuge as well.

Who is building your tank?

The final decision for the tank builder has not been decided at this time. I am still looking at quotes and options available to me for this tank.

Not a fan of LEDs? Can you give me some of your concerns regarding them?

You make a good point on the valve of the drain to the fuge and it was planned so that only a portion of that leg would feed the fuge. This rr tank has a single hole and currently has a 1 1/2 drain now.

Thanks for your feedback.

MvM
01-04-2011, 9:41 PM
The final decision for the tank builder has not been decided at this time. I am still looking at quotes and options available to me for this tank.

Not a fan of LEDs? Can you give me some of your concerns regarding them?

You make a good point on the valve of the drain to the fuge and it was planned so that only a portion of that leg would feed the fuge. This rr tank has a single hole and currently has a 1 1/2 drain now.

Thanks for your feedback.
I think he's excited to see the LED build. That's the way I read it....

Fish Scales2
01-04-2011, 9:46 PM
I love LEDS. I am just a bit of a smart butt at times. On the real though, consider more spectrums of bulbs for the display and an assortment of lens covers from 30 deg to 90

I would not usually recomend a ball valve on a drain but when you have planned on 3 drains. I would place a strainer over the drain leading to the fuge to deter any snails.

cshoneyman
01-04-2011, 9:50 PM
In general, I'd avoid any sort of restriction (ball valve, etc) on an overflow. Even if your system can live with the reduced flow on that one, there is a possibility of a snail getting in the pipe and the valve will become the choke point... if he can't get through there, then that overflow is out of commission. Also, over time, algae etc can accumulate there.

If I were going to do the fuge that way, I'd opt for drilling additional or larger overflows into the 75g, so that it can handle the water volume from the overflow that feeds it running at 100% capacity (and then some).

You could opt for one larger pump that will flow enough to feed reactors/chiller/UV etc, then build a manifold that all these items will feed from. Ball valves are perfectly acceptable here, and will allow you to fine-tune the flow to each item separately.

I currently run a Hammerhead pump to feed all of my current tanks and reactors but I dont think it will produce enough flow at the head pressures required. The Reeflo Hammerhear tops out at 23' of head so I dont think it will have near enough flow inthe new configuration. Looking at the curve at 20' it shows 3000 GPH but at 24' it is 600 GPH.

cr500_af
01-04-2011, 10:05 PM
I currently run a Hammerhead pump to feed all of my current tanks and reactors but I dont think it will produce enough flow at the head pressures required. The Reeflo Hammerhear tops out at 23' of head so I dont think it will have near enough flow inthe new configuration. Looking at the curve at 20' it shows 3000 GPH but at 24' it is 600 GPH.

But do I understand correctly that the fuge and all the other stuff will be in the basement, near the sump, with the DT above? You wouldn't need too much pump to feed the "accessory" items. If the chiller/UV/reactors etc are on the same level as the sump, you should be fine with something smaller. A Hammerhead would be, as you said, not enough for a return at that height yet I think too much to feed a fuge/chiller/reactors/UV.

I'm doing something similar, only smaller (210 over basement with 140g sump, three smaller tanks and the usual equipment), so I'll be interested to see how it comes out. My plan (subject to change) is to have the smaller tanks very close to the sump and feed them all from a manifold by a Mag 12 or similar (this will be a 22.5g fuge, 22.5g RDSB and a 29g plus all reactors).
Hoping I don't need to keep my chiller (or worse, have to get a bigger one), but that remains to be seen.

Like Chris said, using the overflow to feed the fuge wouldn't spook me if it is one of three overflows, but I wouldn't consider the third one an "oh crap" failsafe if I did.

BIGGQ00
01-05-2011, 3:44 PM
this is def going to be an interesting build!

WadeB
01-05-2011, 5:58 PM
I think 300 is too small. I would suggest 500G IMO

PFCDeitz
01-05-2011, 5:59 PM
I think 300 is too small. I would suggest 500G IMO
Awesome first post lol

WadeB
01-05-2011, 6:34 PM
someones gota point out that if this is a dream tank, go big or go home!! LOL

PFCDeitz
01-05-2011, 6:36 PM
Try having some respect. A dream tank does not have to be bigger to be better. My dream tank is a 90 gallon.

WadeB
01-05-2011, 6:44 PM
Try having some respect. A dream tank does not have to be bigger to be better. My dream tank is a 90 gallon.

I know him personally, sorry no pun intended. Im just egging him on, my dream tank is only 180G that cshoneyman is helping me build identical to his. Were just trying to get some good feedback of what else we could do to make his dream tank better with no bugs.

cshoneyman
01-05-2011, 6:44 PM

Lol look over WadeB he is a long time friend and knows the planning that has gone into this tank and that my wife will kill me if it grows any larger.

Once the tank has been ordered more details of the plan will be posted.

Now back to the tank planning, err MBA homework :yuk:

PFCDeitz
01-05-2011, 6:48 PM
I know him personally, sorry no pun intended. Im just egging him on, my dream tank is only 180G that cshoneyman is helping me build identical to his. Were just trying to get some good feedback of what else we could do to make his dream tank better with no bugs.

Ah ok then i take back the comment! My bad. Im just a big person on respect. One of the first things i learned in the Military. Carry on!

cshoneyman
01-09-2011, 9:40 AM
After some discussion with the wife the final tank dimensions have been decided.

Final tank 96x36x30 for roughly 450 gallons. This will bring total system capacity to 725 gallons.

The tank is planned to have a med-high bio load due to the number of tangs planned to be housed in this.

Do you think that the Reeflo Orca Pro 2 Recirculation Protein Skimmer is going to be able to keep up with this or should I consider the Reeflo Orca Pro 3 Recirculation Protein Skimmer to have additional head room? Or another skimmer entirely?

I look forward to your feedback.

Fish Scales2
01-09-2011, 9:55 AM
Orca Pro2 will be plenty IMO. I saw a Pro3 last night (display was exact same size as your planning) on a 800ish gallon system. It appeared to be working extremely well, he has a heavy bioload and feeds sorta heavy also. I believe his skimmer will handle a good bit more.

I have not seen a Pro2 running on a system yet.

nathan.harris
01-09-2011, 1:45 PM
sounds great! post pics of progress?

cshoneyman
01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
sounds great! post pics of progress?

Pictures will begin when stuff starts to show up. I am having to stretch the time line a bit due to build time on the tank but if all goes well it will be complete for August.

TChristman
01-20-2011, 8:06 AM
Sounds like we are on the same project at near identical times. Best of luck with your build. I look forward to following it.

stacy22
01-20-2011, 10:02 AM
You mentioned tangs...what does your preliminary stocklist look like?

cshoneyman
01-21-2011, 8:28 PM
You mentioned tangs...what does your preliminary stocklist look like?

Tangs are my weakness so they are the driving force for the new tank.

My current collection includes :

Achilles
Powder Blue
Chevron
Yellow-eye Kole
Tomini

Future Tangs possibly include:

Yellow tang (more than 1)
Orange shoulder tang
Powder Brown

For the rest of the future collection

Clowns
pair of Black Percula
Pair of ORA Midnights

Anthias
Bartletts
Maldives Lyretail
Lyretail

Wrasses
McCoskers

This is just a rough list of what I am thinking will go in the new tank once up and running and cycled

cshoneyman
01-21-2011, 9:23 PM
Well while I am here I am going to give an update on the project. I finished discussing the project with the general contractor about the additional support needed under the floor to support this monster and have a plan in place to bring the floor up to be able to support 300 pounds sq/ft.
Tank Ordered:yay:
The tank is no longer a 96x30x25 (300 gallons) but has grown to 96x36x30 (448 gallons) at the request of the wife. She felt the tank needed to be taller to be visually pleasing in the living room. The deposit for the tank has been placed and hopefully we will have the final details ironed out so it can be placed in cue for production.

Fuge Owned
Not much has changed in this area except it will be fed separate now to prevent any problems with the overflows from the DT.

Sump Ordered
With the DT increasing in size by 50% I decided that I needed to increase the sump size as well. The new plan is for the sump to be 60x36x30 for a maximum of 280 gallons.

This brings my combined water volume to approximately 800 gallons :eek:.

Return Pump Ordered
I have decided to increase the return pump to the Blueline 100 rated at 1990 GPH and I expect to be able to get about 1600 GPH out of this pump.

Circulation
The plan is still to use 4 MP40W ES pumps for wave action. I have verified with the tank builder that this tank will be capable of handling the wave action.

Protein Skimmer
After some general discussion I have decided that I am going to put in a Reeflo Orca Pro 3 Recirculation Protein Skimmer and am heavily considering the self clean function that MRC has available for it. With the heavy bio load that tangs provide I feel I should err on the larger side of things. This will allow for a second tank to be added once the wife recovers from this build :lol2:.

UV Sterilizer Ordered
80 Watt Emperor Aquatics Smart HO UV Will most likely add a second down the road

Chiller
I plan on running a Tradewinds 1 hp chiller with the return pump supplying it.

Lighting
Complete DIY LED system still in the plans. I have laid out the track system that the heat sinks will hang from and the individual panels will be able to be moved to allow for ease of tank service.

Now I have a question for all of you that have done this before. Tips for moving a tank of this size? What did you use to move it/handle it?

Ike Renfro
02-07-2011, 3:00 PM
Cant wait to see the pictures....

gmpolan
02-07-2011, 3:26 PM
FWIW, you ll def need to do some research on the all anthias as far as which to add at what point or if you even can because they all do well in groups and arent aggressive but more times than others, they def dont do well socially with other anthias... but awesome build so far, cant wait to see updated pictures.

JeffMuse
02-07-2011, 4:41 PM
Very well thought out, this is going to be a great dream tank. I am going to be following this tread... bring on the pictures! :thumbs:

cshoneyman
02-07-2011, 7:48 PM
Thanks guys for the encouraging words.

The tank, stand, and sump are finally slotted for production and now I just have to count down the days till it ships. I have decided to wait till the tank arrives before I order some of the other materials that will be needed for the build.

I will assure you all that once the large pieces arrive the pictures will begin but we still have several weeks before the show begins.

In the mean time the floor is getting some needed work for the new load it is going to support and some planing is taking place on how to move the tank that is in the location the new tank is going while keeping the occupants happy and healthy.

Looks like a temp tank in the basement while the new tank build is completed. The wife will love that one.

Shrimpy Brains
02-07-2011, 8:48 PM
Wow! Sounds like you have it all well planned! I have only one question.

Can I move in??? Lol

cshoneyman
03-27-2011, 8:24 PM
Hey Guys,
I wanted to give a build update . Things are moving a lot slower then I had hoped.
This year we decided that we wanted to replace the roof on our home and that went from a budgeted project with the cash in the bank to a project that we felt would never end. The previous roof had a few mistakes that cost us a minor fortune to fix and involved removing a brick fireplace, 8 floor joist, 8 ceiling joist, and 8 rafters along with 26 sheets of decking that was not planned for. Needless to say the new build budget had to give up a few dollars for the roof. The wife was not going to hear that the tank was more important so I gave in without a fight.

On to the fun stuff.
The new tank, sump, stand, and valance is no more than 3 weeks from shipping. I am both excited and nervous with the shipping of a glass tank. I hope that the freight company does a good job and gets it all to me in good shape and in one piece. Once this thing arrives the pictures will begin with the uncrating and inspection.

Tank ~ 450 Gallons 96x36x30 with Starphire on both 8' sides, 24"x5 1/2" x 10" external overflow Basic layout attached to the post .
Sump ~ 280 Gallons 60x36x30 Acrylic

The temporary tank has been acquired. It is a 90 gallon tank that will house the occupants of the 75 that is current sitting in the path of destruction/construction. The floor should be complete well before the new tank arrives and once the materials that are to be ordered in April; arrive the 75 will come down and the demo of the existing tank in the wall will begin. The new system will take on the current occupants of both my 75 gallon and my 125. The 75 gallon will become the fuge on the new system and the 125 will be looking for a new home once the everything settles out with new system. The wife has said that I can keep the 90 in my office downstairs and it will probably become a fish with live rock only so I can keep some of those fish that would mow down my corals.

I will be placing the order for the following equipment the first part of April to get started.

Calcium Reactor
1- GEO Calcium Reactor 818 w/ Panworld 40PX
5- Carib Sea ARM Calcium Reactor Media - Large
1- Reef Fanatic Deluxe CO2 Regulator with Solenoid

I have a CO2 cylinder I plan to use and a controller that can handle the dosing of the carbon dioxide to the reactor.

Skimmer
1- ReeFlo Orca PRO 2 Recirculating Protein Skimmer

I had to compromise and get the Orca Pro 2 instead of the 3 but I think it will cover 800 gallons without much of a problem. I may get to upgrade this in the coming year?

Lighting
4- Lumatek DIMMABLE 250W / 400W Metal Halide Electronic Ballast
4- Sunlight Supply Lumen Max Elite Mogul Fixture
4- RADIUM 400W 20K Single-Ended Bulb

Due to other expenses I have decided to hold on the LEDs and go with proven technology. I will be supplementing with some T5s in the future but will keep watching the LEDs for further development.

Power Heads
2- VorTech MP40w ES Propeller Pump

My first purchase of the VorTechs. I plan to add 4 - MP60s and move these to another system once I have them ordered.

Dry Live Rock
400lbs- BRS Fiji Dry Eco Aquarium Live Rock
200lbs- BRS Shelf Dry Eco Aquarium Live Rock

Chiller
1- 1 1/2 Hp Tradewinds Chiller 230 Volt

Some of the things I have gathered so far

2- PanWorld 250PS External Water Pump - 1900gph
4-500W Titanium Heater with JBJ TRUE TEMP Digital Controller
1-80 Watt (600 Gallon) Emperor Aquatics Smart HO UV "High-Output"
1-Ozotech Poseidon Ozone Generator 200mg/hr (Variable Output)
1-JUMBO BRS Air Dryer / Air Preparation for use with Ozone Generators
Loc-Line setup for the 4 returns

As always let me know if you see any problems with what I have seleced for equipment . I have attached some older pictures of the current tanks that will be retired when the new is started up.

cshoneyman
05-17-2011, 8:16 PM
Got a call from the freight company and the tank has arrived. Total shipping weight 2400 lbs:eek:. I had to make 2 trips to get it to the house.

Upon inspection everything looks great with one minor error. The manufacture built the sump out of glass?!?!? In our discussions we talked about using a 5/8" acrylic. If I remove the baffles it would become a very nice rimless 280 Gallon tank 60x36x30 It is drilled in the back pane but with some glass they could become overflows. Thoughts?

Here are some pictures of the tank

Loco4Fish5434
06-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Sounds fun..... im in the middle of setting up my 300 gallon.

MichaelB14
06-24-2011, 11:38 AM
anyone get a "font width error" from that pdf? I have never seen the error before.

screamingibis
07-01-2011, 9:49 PM
that's one impressive setup. wow:yay:

bruce 1
07-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Who is building the tank?

cshoneyman
07-04-2011, 10:33 PM
The tank was built by Miracles in Ontario Canada. It is still sitting in the shipping crate. Hopefully work will allow some time to work on this project.

Loco4Fish5434
07-20-2011, 8:15 PM
Sounds like a great setup, I just went up to this size system and its been great for me but bigger the better in my book.