View Full Version : Moving Soon

tmowinski
06-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi - new to this forum but was hoping I could get some help. I'll be moving in about a month which means I have to do a dreaded tank move. My setup is a 75 gallon tank with about 100 pounds of live rock, 7 fish, an anemone, green star polyps, and some mushrooms. Once I got the tank up and running (about 8 months ago), I determined I would be moving sometime in the next year and stopped stocking the tank on purpose. Well, the time has come. I did a search on past messages and saw one horror story that I hope to avoid. Any suggestions, tips, or ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated - Thank!

wildemon
06-20-2005, 7:33 AM
You do not mention the distance involved, but let's assume it involves driving some hours. Using insulated coolers and battery powered air pumps will give your animals a chance [skip feeding the day before]. Rocks can be underwater too. Sand is best forgotten and started fresh with only small amounts kept for seeding.
By far the best outcome would be to buy a new tank installation and set it up and cycled before moving. Then sell, store, or convert the old unit into a fragtank or sump.

georgiajams
06-21-2005, 4:02 PM
Based on the moves I have heard of, always having a plan B would solve alot of problems.

For example, if the tank is broken during the move, it is key to know what you would do. (e.g. do you have an [LFS, friend, large rubbermaid containers] you could use to hold everything and still have plenty of circulation and heating... etc.)

Even if you could set up a temporary tank at the destination, and have it basically ready to go until the other is in operation, it would be good. Doesn't have to be anything fancy (it could be a sturdy tub, etc). Just enough to buy you some time to set the main tank up. Keep the temporary tank circulating and at the proper temperature!!