View Full Version : How to light a 90?

Amici
06-10-2007, 11:03 PM
So I just got a 90 gal from ATL300c (nice guy btw :up: ) and I am in the process of figuring out my lighting situation. I was completely happy with my mogul lights until I found a 250 HQI for $100 bucks. This light is freaking amazing and I love it. I also found a pretty darn good deal on 400 hqi's and 250 hqi's so I am trying to decide if I should go with two 400's or 3 250's? I am gonna get two VHOs for actinics and will prob get 10k or 14k MH bulbs. Just wanted to see if anyone had any pics of their 90 and share a little experience.

washowi
06-10-2007, 11:17 PM
You have seen mine....

No choice there...2- 400's or bust.

MvM
06-10-2007, 11:17 PM
I have 6 54w t5's and have clams, sps, lps, and everything in between(90 gal). It's nice b/c they don't give off all of the heat that other high powered lights give off. Very happy with mine.

ouling
06-11-2007, 1:06 AM
You have seen mine....

No choice there...2- 400's or bust.

400w X 2 keeps me from ever thinking about upgrading anything. My PFO acrolight also have 200w of pcs.

Don't get stuck with less wattage and then pay more to upgrade.

400w is the only sane choice for people with a decent job.

Amici
06-11-2007, 1:17 AM
how do you guys deal with the heat issue associated with running those 2X400W metal halides? what size chiller should I get if thats your answer. Also, what kind of a difference, heatwise, would exist between 3X250 ad 2X400? Thanks in advance.

washowi
06-11-2007, 1:22 AM
As big a chiller as you can afford....like I said..I tan a 1/10 on my 90....but get a 1/5 hp min....1/10 was just barely able to keep the temps below 80. it just depends....

ouling
06-11-2007, 1:28 AM
well it actually depends on how high you keep ur lights. I keep mine almost 14'' off the water and with 2 fans in the sump, my 1/6 chiller never have to work unless it's stupid hot. I keep my temp at 83-84 though, hehe.

washowi
06-11-2007, 1:41 AM
well it actually depends on how high you keep ur lights. I keep mine almost 14'' off the water and with 2 fans in the sump, my 1/6 chiller never have to work unless it's stupid hot. I keep my temp at 83-84 though, hehe.

****!!! that's high.......my goal is 76 degrees.....I am not there yet..at 79ish

but I will get there soon.

ouling
06-11-2007, 1:47 AM
you can be safe at 83 no problem, seriously. I've been this awesome for almost 2 years, stuff tends to grow faster and mysis breed faster and ich die faster, and electric bill get paid faster.

Nano_Reefer92
06-11-2007, 1:58 AM
you can be safe at 83 no problem, seriously. I've been this awesome for almost 2 years, stuff tends to grow faster and mysis breed faster and ich die faster, and electric bill get paid faster.

livin life in the fast lane

Amici
06-11-2007, 2:05 AM
Yeah I know I dont want my lights 14 inches high i dont want them more than about 10 inches. My goal is 80 degrees. Why you want your temp down to 76 Todd.

washowi
06-11-2007, 2:15 AM
because the ocean temp worldwide is like 77 degrees. (on average).

Most corals come from sea and depths that are 76 degrees or below...not you are going to see others chime in and say BULLsh-t that corals come from seas where the temps are over 80....and yeah there are some instances that happens but the is the exception, not the norm..

Think global warming..what happens to corals at high temps..they BLEACH.

They Die, they become sump rock..What else happens? HIGH algae growth in your tank....Plus water at high temp just sucks...

Why do you want it so high is the better question?

Amici
06-11-2007, 2:26 AM
lol because its cost alot more to drop those other 4 degrees im in college......

washowi
06-11-2007, 2:34 AM
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/southflorida/coral/habitat.html#temp

This should debunk all the high temp naysayers..

True it is expensive....but this hobby isn't cheap...you do no good to your corals or other life forms if you can not provide for them and keep the proper environment for them to thrive.

Amici
06-11-2007, 2:55 AM
Very true, which is why I am paying more for lighting and other things while keeping the temp at 80 which is widely considered a good temperature. Im not the one who locks my poor fishes up in jail (aka your overflow) lol jk Todd but I think I just need to come looke at a few set ups on the tour of tanks and figure it out. Maybe someone has a chiller they will cut me a deal on :)

ouling
06-11-2007, 3:35 AM
I don't think there are many collectors that dive deep into the ocean so you can get corals from cooler water. Average temperature of ocean might be what you said but definitely not the majority of livestock in this business. Things get collected from lagoons and shallow waters easily see 86-88. And the 76 and below temp you are talking about is actually very narrow.
http://www.eoearth.org/image/Reefs_vs_sst.jpg
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/sst/archive/07147sst.gif
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/sst/latest_sst.gif (taken yesterday)
If you look closely the bulk of the reef is in temp of 82>

Most colorful SPS collected from Fiji are from year round water temp of over 80 degrees. http://www.naia.com.fj/research/water.html

Corals bleech because of big temperature flux that is uncommon in their region with the added CO2 content in the air. So an Acropora sp. that base its operation in red sea (constantly hot water) is suddenly introduced to temp of 74-it will bleach just the same.
Corals in the wild don't live +6 degrees F outside their normal routine.

"SPS" can withsand temp of 84 easily, just as most animals sold in this trade.

The optimal temperature depends on the location and the history of the coral. Blue Ridge found in Maldives see average temp of 84, while some softy from deeper water can't live beyond that.

I see no point of arguing about optimal temperature unless you state the exact coral or livestock you're keeping and where it came from.

So why I keep my temp at 82-84? Because it save energy, I know the hobby isn't cheap, therefore I am not going to waste more money in something unnecessary or unnatural. I know how the temp cycle of the Red Sea and Great Barrier Reef works, even in the carribean; and I match it pretty concisely: 81-83.5 in summer and 76-78 in winter, Spring and Fall is somewhere in-between those temps.

ouling
06-11-2007, 4:02 AM
Don't be offended, I'm tired of going back and forth with people. If you keep your temp at 76 then its perfectly fine if you use an non coal burning electric provider. Some coral actually grow faster at that temperature-I just don't think they're "SPS." I keep mine high because I feel thats the normal temp if my livestock was living in it's natural location. Also, when I'm not home, i can just keep my A/C off and not worry about things getting out of hand, or my chiller keeps making the house hotter and hotter, thus making it work harder and harder.

-shouldn't had all that free coffee at church today, can't sleep at all.

washowi
06-11-2007, 9:27 AM
I have talked to Walt Smith personally and have sat down with him over dinner numerous times....If you don't know him visit his website.

All of his corals come from waters of 76 degrees or cooler according to him..I will tend to believe him.....It appears he knows what he is talking about.

But again I seem to be "not the norm" in this club.....

If your corals do great in your temperature range, how can I argue that? IT works....Continue on..

Me I like the 70's...

BTW.....the Maldives that you reference had a COMPLETE coral bleaching 8 years ago....Those acros don't exit anymore (high water temperature)....Get a copy of this months Coral MAgazine at your LFS..Great reads in this issue

ouling
06-11-2007, 1:39 PM
If I can keep my temp at exactly 78-80 without effort then i would do it. SPS can't take temp flux very well. What I mean in maldives is the blue ridge is doing amazing becaues of high temp, and different coral from different region likes different temperatures.

Anyways, how far up you keep ur 800w lights?

washowi
06-11-2007, 2:23 PM
They are like 6" off the water level

Amici
06-11-2007, 4:20 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Good debate :)