View Full Version : Suggestions needed

puffer9375
11-21-2010, 1:36 PM
I am about to send my sons 120dt 200 gallon system into hyposalinity in order to end this Ichthyophthirius **** once and for all.

My question is there are a few frags in his tank I would like to save. From your personal experience is there any sure fire, no questions asked, absolutely positive way to rid these frags of any ich before temporarily rehousing them in my tank????

Thanks for your input.

beccamc10
11-21-2010, 1:44 PM
I would so a coral rx dip if anything

puffer9375
11-21-2010, 6:28 PM
So is beccamc10's option agreed upon (can I get acouple +1's or are there other options?

mysterybox
11-21-2010, 6:37 PM
it's always good to (well almost) dip SPS corals from one tank to another in a high quality dip. There are many species of corals that this would not be good to do, however. I am not 100% positive, but I don't think ich can be carried from live corals, but you never know..........

Skriz
11-21-2010, 7:14 PM
I would advise against putting your system into hypo. There are much, much better ways of combatting and eliminating ich from a tank.

Can you give a little more detail? (paramaters, equipment, husbandry schedule, inhabitants, etc)

puffer9375
11-21-2010, 7:22 PM
it's always good to (well almost) dip SPS corals from one tank to another in a high quality dip. There are many species of corals that this would not be good to do, however. I am not 100% positive, but I don't think ich can be carried from live corals, but you never know..........

Thats just it, the you never know thing that I am not willing to chance.
Thanks for the input. The corals i'll be moving are lps and some small rocks with mushrooms on them.

puffer9375
11-21-2010, 7:39 PM
I would advise against putting your system into hypo. There are much, much better ways of combatting and eliminating ich from a tank.

Can you give a little more detail? (paramaters, equipment, husbandry schedule, inhabitants, etc)

In all my experience and research I believe there are many ways to combat ich. I'm tired of the combat I'm going to end this war quickly.
IMO when comes to killing ich dead the only two ways are copper or hyposalinity.
With the way I feel about these critters right now I prefer hyposalinity which will most definitely cause everylast one of those little ******* to EXPLODE!!

Thanks much for your input there is no changing my mind now I'm excited.
I am concerned introducing frag from the effected tank to mine.

Dakota9
11-21-2010, 7:42 PM
I've never heard of corals having ich, but it's also common for most tanks to have Ich present.....

Has many fish been lost to Ich in this tank?

+1 for dipping

cr500_af
11-21-2010, 7:45 PM
If you insist on doing hypo, definitely dip the corals before transferring. I won't bother repeating what Raj said since it is obvious you intend on that being your course of action.

puffer9375
11-21-2010, 7:55 PM
My concern is that ich could be present in the rocks the corals are on or even the base of the frogspawn and torch. My son had added fish to his new system the majority of them died from from ich they just would not eat.

puffer9375
11-21-2010, 7:57 PM
If you insist on doing hypo, definitely dip the corals before transferring. I won't bother repeating what Raj said since it is obvious you intend on that being your course of action.

The coral rx dip takes the lead?

Dakota9
11-21-2010, 8:11 PM
Are there fish in there now?

Any chance of just running it fallow for a period?

MvM
11-21-2010, 8:25 PM
I would worry about die off of other critters as a result of the hypo. That could easily nuke a tank IMO. Also, most people that you talk too aren't really all that afraid of ich IMO. If tank conditions are stable and adequate, most fish can easily fight it off. I don't know that dips can kill ich, as that's not what they are designed for. I do doubt that any trophonts would be present on corals though.

puffer9375
11-21-2010, 8:33 PM
Yes there are fish in there now. I did infact think about running the system fallow but from past experience I am not going to chance it this time. I just wouldn't trust the whole fallow thing takes to long IMO 8 weeks.

I have these fish eating like pigs I'm refuse to move them and take a chance on stressing them into not eating. In my past experience if they stop eating owww don't want to think about it.

puffer9375
11-21-2010, 8:39 PM
Hey thanks mvm I am prepared for the copepods and other beneficial critters biting it the system has not been up that long the friendly casualties should be minimal. I have run fowlr tanks as low as 1.014 without any problems.

RaisedOnNintendo
11-21-2010, 8:45 PM
Fresh water dip

grouper therapy
11-22-2010, 7:55 AM
You asked for a no questions asked absolute method of removing the ich or something along those lines before you replaced the corals in your system. I don't think you have received that as of yet and I don't think you will without being willing to let the tank sit fallow. I personally don't believe that dipping the corals will kill or remove all the ich as you are wanting 100%! But if you are willing to risk that I guess go for it. Where will you put the corals if your tank ends up with ich? If you have no place then why risk you fish for Natt's corals?

grouper therapy
11-22-2010, 7:56 AM
Big UV

grouper therapy
11-22-2010, 7:56 AM
Big UV

puffer9375
11-22-2010, 8:37 AM
Funny you should say that grouper I thought about it last night after seeing there is no info even suggesting coral rx, freshwater, or any other dip would make me feel better about putting his frags in my system. I just don't know yet?

The BIG UV gets here Wednesday with its new bulbs and ballast 160watt .

RaisedOnNintendo
11-22-2010, 8:54 AM
U also got to remember alot of like mushroom use water to inflate. So the water inside them likely have ich water in them. But fresh water dip will kill all external ich simply because ich can't live n fresh water

grouper therapy
11-22-2010, 9:40 AM
Funny you should say that grouper I thought about it last night after seeing there is no info even suggesting coral rx, freshwater, or any other dip would make me feel better about putting his frags in my system. I just don't know yet?

The BIG UV gets here Wednesday with its new bulbs and ballast 160watt .

Excellent move!!!!

puffer9375
11-22-2010, 9:49 AM
Thanks Nintendo I will keep that in mind.

puffer9375
11-22-2010, 9:51 AM
I think I have decided to set up my sons old tank in the fish room and quarrentine his corals while his tank is in hypo. That is if I can get him to help me set it up.