View Full Version : Help a fellow Reefer.

gixxer600
11-04-2010, 6:51 PM
Would anybody that lives close enough to cumming mind stopping by my house and taking a look at my tank. i am having some issues and i am at a loss. YOur help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mathew

PFCDeitz
11-04-2010, 6:57 PM
What kinda issues you got?

gixxer600
11-04-2010, 7:23 PM
algea everywere. and my water is not clearing itself up. I think something is wrong with my filtration.

strangepod
11-04-2010, 7:27 PM
How long has your tank been set up?
Are you using RO water?
Is your skimmer skimming correctly?
Do you run carbon? If not, I would recommend it.
Do you have anything in your tank that is disturbing your sand bed?

gixxer600
11-04-2010, 7:54 PM
6 months
no
i think so
no
diamond goby

strangepod
11-04-2010, 8:25 PM
When was your last water change

gixxer600
11-04-2010, 9:04 PM
last water change was 1 week ago

Hackman72
11-04-2010, 9:18 PM
I'm in Dawsonville and could probably swing by one day this weekend.

What kind of lighting do you use and how old are the bulbs?

AndrewG
11-04-2010, 9:54 PM
I live in Suwanee and could stop by sometime tomorrow.

Hnguyen
11-04-2010, 11:12 PM
6 months
no
i think so
no
diamond goby

I think thats your problem all in a nutshell right there. For starters, you are more likely to have mad algae growth when using tap water instead of RO water. I think think your skimmer will effect the how clear your water looks, but it would still be nice to have it running properly. Carbon is also a must have because it not only removes toxins from your water but it also keeps your water looking clear as well. diamond goby shouldn't be a problem since I have one in my tank as well. I think your first step now is to drop a big bag of carbon into your sump and you should see your water clear up within the next day or so, then after that start using RO water to help with the algae problems. Try to clean off as much algae as you can and mix your salt water with RO and do top off with RO as well. How are your perimeters looking?

NanoNano
11-05-2010, 7:44 AM
Are you using tap water? You can't do that with a salt tank. Shouldn't do it with any tank really.

That is going to be a major part of your problem if not the cause of all of it.

jase75
11-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Ditto on the RO. I thought my well water would be OK when I started, but had some major hair algae problems and so forth. Couldn't afford a RO filter at the time and used the bottled water machines at Publix and Walmart. It may not be the best, but better than the tap (or well). Some of the sponsors may sell it too. My problems cleared up within a week or two after using better water.

gixxer600
11-06-2010, 5:08 PM
I have used tap water for every tank that i have ever had and never had an issue with algea. I think the algea growth is just because of not enough water flow(only have a K3 and a K4). I will try and get some carbon in the sump and see how that goes. Were in the sump should i put the carbon? And anybody that would like to come by. Pm me and i can give address.

strangepod
11-06-2010, 5:11 PM
Put your carbon in a filter sock in the inlet chamber to the sump.

gixxer600
11-06-2010, 5:54 PM
Thank you i will try that asap.

Amici
11-06-2010, 6:00 PM
Are you using tap water? You can't do that with a salt tank. Shouldn't do it with any tank really.

That is going to be a major part of your problem if not the cause of all of it.

I agree and since I have run a few tanks in Alpharetta I can say before I got an rodi I battled algae and then once I switched I started to win the battle. I would highly recommend investing in an rodi since you will have to vigorously run carbon, gfo, biopellets and purigen to have a fighting chance. An rodi would be cheaper. Carbon alone will only do but so much.

gixxer600
11-06-2010, 6:11 PM
I ahve an RO unit sittign in my garage right now but i have no clue on how to hook it up.

gixxer600
11-06-2010, 6:11 PM
Holy crap the speeling on my last post was horrible.:doh:

strangepod
11-06-2010, 7:05 PM
This is what I use, a little pricey at first but it will last you awhile.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/3-pounds-1-gallon-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon-1.html

strangepod
11-06-2010, 7:06 PM
I agree and since I have run a few tanks in Alpharetta I can say before I got an rodi I battled algae and then once I switched I started to win the battle. I would highly recommend investing in an rodi since you will have to vigorously run carbon, gfo, biopellets and purigen to have a fighting chance. An rodi would be cheaper. Carbon alone will only do but so much.

+1 :thumbs:

gixxer600
11-06-2010, 7:33 PM
I am going to try the carbon. Do i attach the carbon and filter sock directly to my drain hose?

merkywater
11-06-2010, 7:49 PM
If the filter sock has a draw string you could just draw up tight and put in high flow area.