View Full Version : Return to Reefing (and other things)

hhasty79
06-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi guys!

I'm not sure how many here remember me... I've taken a bit of a break from the hobby, but probably will be making a return soon. I've kept my 30g intact, all the corals and fishies are alive and well, but hair algae is taking over and...well...a topic for another post I think.

Mainly, I'm looking for some advice or ideas about a project I'm planning waaaay back in the back of my mind for my new house. We've decided a neat way to partition the dining area from living room would be...yay an aquarium! Now, I don't know if I want to get into setting up a *reef* right away, but I'm looking at getting a light fixture hanging in the right spot from the ceiling that has the possibility of being upgraded at some point. The tank itself would probably end up being 75g-100g, but I'm thinking we need to get the wiring and stuff done *now*, while everything else is being remodeled. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, does anyone have a spare tank lying around? Hehe...I've got the stand and various filtration and stuff, so I hate to buy a full setup.

FWIW, this is also a stealth operation to convert my boyfriend to the wonders of aquaria in general, he thinks my reef tank is "awesome" and wants more....muahaha, perhaps he'll be willing to fund this adventure ;-).

wildemon
06-03-2005, 1:23 PM
Heather-right?, GA Tech maybe?
Doug at www.reeftanklighting.com is the know it all for what lighting is available. Many are long pendants that do not require hoods or would fit inside one if you already own a hood. Having an electrical outlet near the ceiling is probably the easiest hookup although any rough lamp fixture can be exchanged in the future as a power source. Wall outlets [multiple circuits] should be GFI to prevent water shocks and dual circuits in the fuse box, both dedicated to your tanks only, ensure all the tank toys continue to run.

If you are thinking larger than 100 gallons it pays to look underneath to check the floor support is O.K. and ensure the stand is level too. Think about the worst situation if a leak happens and what might be damaged-rugs, or the ceiling downstairs. Also the stuff we spray: cleaners, fabreeze, raid can be negative for reef tanks. It is a great idea and having the tank in the main living space ensures they get all the attention they deserve.

Sounds like the boyfriend is already "hooked" on a marine tank!

hhasty79
06-04-2005, 12:54 AM
I'm all graduated, but yep that's me.

I thought about the weight issue; that's a lot of gallons to pile in one spot, but it is ground floor. I've actually crawled under the house myself, it's right next to two big brick columns, enough to convince me that it's safe anyway. I'm paranoid enough that I don't spray cleaners anywhere near any tanks, fresh or salt, nowadays ;-).

I'm a fairly competent carpenter (carpentress? hmm), so it did occur to me that I might make my own hood/hanging light frame. Is there such a thing as a metal halide retrofit kit? I've always had PC lighting before... and so much that I once knew I've forgotten somehow.

And the boyfriend is very interested indeed, but I haven't confronted him with any numbers yet. I dont' want to scare him off just yet ;-).

wildemon
06-06-2005, 8:17 AM
I am sure www.reeftanklighting.com can fix up something, but to compare, here is an electronic ballast with reflector fixture you can just hang inside a cabinet hood.
http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OE&Product_Code=2HMHS599&Category_Code=MHS
You might also try to come July, since a main topic will be lighting systems!