View Full Version : Waste Collector for MRC MR2

gnashty
09-15-2010, 12:00 PM
I bought a WC from a member recently and am having a tad bit o trouble getting it to function properly - may even be user error.

Since i have no instructions to work from I am assuming I just hook the hose up to it and it will shut down the bubble prodcution in the skimmer when it fills...correct?

I filled it on purpose by wet skimming and then dialed it back to see. It filled up, the ping pong ball went into place but the unit kept filling until water finally came out of the seal around the lid.

Are these only for use when using a pressure rated pump? Or am i doing something wrong? I am running an MRC MR2 w/dual beckett in sump with a mag 24 pump.

LilRobb
09-15-2010, 12:26 PM
If water comes out around the seal - well, it doesn't seal properly.
It can only shut it off if the lid and ball cause a (more or less) airtight seal...

gnashty
09-15-2010, 12:42 PM
If water comes out around the seal - well, it doesn't seal properly.
It can only shut it off if the lid and ball cause a (more or less) airtight seal...

I am going to try to find another gasket so maybe i can double them up to get a good tight seal

gmpolan
09-15-2010, 1:26 PM
I own one as well gary and the first few times trying it, it did the same as you mentioned but after about three times it began to stop the skimmer from skimming.
It might just need to be set back on the o ring or like robb said, its prob not getting a good seal. Just keep it at, it will work...

gnashty
09-15-2010, 1:29 PM
it is an actual seal, not a ring - i dont beleive it is an MRC product (bought used). it has a 6.5" gasket which is in great shape.

The lid is actually one of those "turn half way and remove"

Does yours have a spot to put carbon in to keep it from stinking up the joint? I tested it without filling the carbon chamber

gmpolan
09-15-2010, 1:32 PM
let me see if i can post some pics to help out gimme a sec...

weaglereefer
09-15-2010, 1:35 PM
And for those wondering who the shady person is who sold a fake MRC product, it was me. I purchased it as an MRC WC-4 (which is how it was advertised to me) and what I told Gary it was when I sold it because as far as I knew, it was. After walking around last night, I realized it was different. I have already offered to take care of the situation, but I think Gary would just rather have it work, lol.

LilRobb
09-15-2010, 1:43 PM
And for those wondering who the shady person is who sold a fake MRC product, it was me. I purchased it as an MRC WC-4 (which is how it was advertised to me) and what I told Gary it was when I sold it because as far as I knew, it was. After walking around last night, I realized it was different. I have already offered to take care of the situation, but I think Gary would just rather have it work, lol.

Way to go Jeff,
nice move!

gmpolan
09-15-2010, 1:52 PM

gnashty
09-15-2010, 2:58 PM

Ha - the guilt is killing you isnt it!! lol...Hey, I never said I purchased an MRC WC, just a WC for a MRC skimmer...I was telling gmpolan that it wasnt the MRC model......its ok Jeff, Ill figure it out and if not you and I have a plan in place..

gnashty
09-15-2010, 2:58 PM

Mine looks similar but doesnt have the screws or the 2nd little chamber yours shows - Ill take pics when i get home

weaglereefer
09-15-2010, 3:00 PM
Ha - the guilt is killing you isnt it!! lol...Hey, I never said I purchased an MRC WC, just a WC for a MRC skimmer...I was telling gmpolan that it wasnt the MRC model......its ok Jeff, Ill figure it out and if not you and I have a plan in place..

I just know how rumors get started and like to be ahead of the curve.

Rbredding
09-15-2010, 4:29 PM
Gary,

you can test your setup by taking your finger and covering the hose that leaves the skimmer.. (that's effectively what the waste collector does, it prevents air from leaving the skimmer, so the becketts don't pull any air into the skimmer)

if you've not got an airtight seal on the waste collector, you're wasting your time using that setup... get that collector sealed up and it should work fine..

incidentally, you'd need gaskets/o-rings on the ping-pong ball release valves also (where they go through the cap).. the entire unit should be completely air tight when the water level lifts the balls up to cover the pvc opening above them (within the valve assembly)

Acroholic
09-15-2010, 5:40 PM
If the gasket is not sealing properly, go to Ace hardware and buy their silicone lube. Comes in a small white, round plastic tin in the plumbing Department. About $1. Coat both sides of the gasket and reseal. I use this for O-Rings on my equipment.

gnashty
09-15-2010, 6:42 PM
Gary,

you can test your setup by taking your finger and covering the hose that leaves the skimmer.. (that's effectively what the waste collector does, it prevents air from leaving the skimmer, so the becketts don't pull any air into the skimmer)

if you've not got an airtight seal on the waste collector, you're wasting your time using that setup... get that collector sealed up and it should work fine..

incidentally, you'd need gaskets/o-rings on the ping-pong ball release valves also (where they go through the cap).. the entire unit should be completely air tight when the water level lifts the balls up to cover the pvc opening above them (within the valve assembly)

Yes, when I cover the hose end everything simmers down.

Ill work on getting it airtight and try again. Leaving for Salt Lake City tomorrow til Tue so Ill update everyone on the progress when I return...dont wanna try to play with my skimmer before I leave town for 4 days - last trip the skimmer was overdialed and left my gf cleaning up 10-20 gal of water

Thanks for the tip on the gasket "dippity doo" Dave - Ill try that as well.

Acroholic
09-15-2010, 7:47 PM
And if all else fails, here is the ultimate solution. I used this with the ORCA 200 Pro skimmer I had. It was not a Beckett, and couldn't care less about ping pong balls. After it dumped about 10 gallons of water on the floor thru my waste collector from over skimming, I added the float switch to mine. The float switch control the electrical outlet in the pic. Hook your Mag into that and if the collector overflows, it cuts of power. The outlets are good up to 200 watts, so I'd check the draw on your Mag pump prior.

http://www.reefspecialty.com/p378/NEW-Coral-Vue-Auto-Shut-off-Waste-Collector/product_info.html

AS well, you could probably incorporate a float switch with whatever controller you are using to do the same thing.

Rbredding
09-16-2010, 9:25 AM
Gary..

You could always just run your overflow hose into a spare bucket.. even if you're skimming wet with the MR2 you shouldn't fill that thing up "over a couple days"

gnashty
09-16-2010, 9:43 AM
That's what I'm doing now - I wanted to save a little space underneath and give it a cleaner look. My issue was me putting my hand in or dosing and the the skimmer dies down for a little while....my dumb *ss adjusts it back to where I want without waiting for it just to do its thing and wham......overflows a few hrs later when I'm not around

Rbredding
09-17-2010, 12:25 PM
been there... took me a while to figure out that I can't do "everything" to the tank at one time.. (feed/clean/waterchange/adjustments/etc)