View Full Version : sea squirt feeder

Smallblock
09-07-2010, 7:27 PM
Anybody got one of these and do you like it, pros and cons, Sponsers does anyone have this in stock
Kent marine sea squirt

Acroholic
09-07-2010, 7:30 PM
I couldn't stand mine. Buy a turkey baster.

Smallblock
09-07-2010, 7:31 PM
The only reason i really want one is the added length, why didnt you like it dave, you still got it?

Smallblock
09-07-2010, 7:34 PM
Turkey baster is what i use now just sometimes i spill stuff trying to hold the flash light and keep my finger over the end, just seems like the end is slitghtly too big

weaglereefer
09-07-2010, 7:39 PM
Get a smaller one. The first one I had was too big and the seal around the top bulb was loose so air got in and food drained. I ponied up $6 on a "nice" turkey baster and it works great. I use it for feeding, as well as for when I need to get water out for testing, putting in bags with frags, etc.

Smallblock
09-07-2010, 7:40 PM
I looked around at walmart and target but theres seemed even cheaper than the one i have, I have the one with the yellow bulb

Smallblock
09-07-2010, 7:43 PM
I'de be willing to spend the 20 bucks for the length of the sea squirt and i like the option that you can use it as a spike to feed the nem and stuff.

weaglereefer
09-07-2010, 7:47 PM
Target should have one with a black bulb, in a kit with a wire brush for cleaning, even. I think the brand is Chefmate.

Smallblock
09-07-2010, 8:34 PM
I saw that one it seemed pretty cheap but i did like the brush

weaglereefer
09-07-2010, 8:38 PM
Really, the tighter the bulb is on the end, the better it will work. Also, I tend to flip mine upside down while I carry it around the kitchen and flip it back over once it's above the tank water.

LilRobb
09-07-2010, 8:52 PM
I have both,

The baster I'd good for larger meaty foods and to basically 'dose' the tank - the squirt I use for target feeding of phytoplankton and the like since the nozzle is much smaller.

MvM
09-07-2010, 8:58 PM
I used a drill bit to make the opening larger. I use it for all feedings. I'm guessing I opened it up more than a 1/4", so it works for the mysis and rod's food I feed.

Smallblock
09-07-2010, 9:27 PM
Really, the tighter the bulb is on the end, the better it will work. Also, I tend to flip mine upside down while I carry it around the kitchen and flip it back over once it's above the tank water.

Have you noticed that alot of the food gets stuck in the bulb. What I'm after is target feeding like some of my lps and sun corals. If i flip mine up with the small amount of food i have for the coral half of it winds up stuck in the bulb. Then i have to suck in some water to get it out and it loses it concentration and ends up blowing off the food i started with lol. I'm gonna get one and if i dont like it I'm sure i can sell it. The baster works great for feeding the tank though i love it. Thanks for the advice and experiances fellows.

Corigan
09-07-2010, 9:30 PM
Like stated the opening is rather small for meaty foods, so I opened mine up. I really don't use it for feeding anymore, I just turkey baster the tank. What I use mine for is blowing off the rocks and getting in weird spots to rescue snails that have flipped over, etc.

Acroholic
09-08-2010, 1:17 AM
The only reason i really want one is the added length, why didnt you like it dave, you still got it?

Lemme look and see if I still have it. It is yours if I do.

EnderG60
09-08-2010, 7:14 AM
I just used mine for the first time last night. Yup its pretty crappy.

Had to drill out the hole, doenst seal very well and there is no lip for the bulb to hold onto so it moves up and down making it pretty much a pain in the butt to use.

gnashty
09-08-2010, 9:47 AM
I have both,

The baster I'd good for larger meaty foods and to basically 'dose' the tank - the squirt I use for target feeding of phytoplankton and the like since the nozzle is much smaller.

I have both as well - I use just like Rob mentions above.

The baster I feel I have no control but can get those large meaty foods to the coral - the sea squirt has tons of control just cant hold the meaty stuff. the bulb part of it sux, no tight seal and gets nasty quick if you dont take care of it..

Acroholic
09-08-2010, 11:07 AM
And it has a little plastic pointy bit on the end for feeding your reef sharks big chunks of squid!!:D