View Full Version : Deep Blue Professional rant - don't buy

kelvindodd
09-03-2010, 2:59 PM
I'm certain I've seen in the message boards one of the common 'noob' mistakes was listed as buying cheap equipment, and that it ultimately costs you more in the long run. Well, consider lesson learned.

I recently bought a T5 light fixture by 'Deep Blue Professional' from my LFS (first mistake). They're similar to the Aquatic Life units with built in timer, GFCI, etc, only cheaper (red flag #1). The LFS said they were a brand new unit they'd just came out with (red flag #2).

Well, after 1 whole month of service, my actinics are shutting off at some point during the day (not sure when, I come home and they're off), and I needed to contact Deep Blue to get it fixed repaired. I went to their website (www.deepblueprofessional.com) and found a single page with absolutely no contact info (red flag #3). I then googled them. Its like they don't exist and never have (red flag #4).

Anyway, after getting an email address from the LFS so I could finally contact them, I go back and forth with support on several emails trying to explain what was going on (did you not read my first email?). Finally, after confirming the problem didn't lie in my inability to program the timer, the support person informs me I have to send the unit to their facility for repair.

Now, I don't expect for them to come to my house and repair it onsite, but what exactly am I supposed to do with a (semi) established reef tank with corals and such with no light?

Sorry to unload on here, but I believe in supporting businesses with great customer support, and outing those that do not. I can say I've bought my last anything from this no-name outfit, and suggest you avoid them as well.

Have a great holiday weekend, everyone!

Acroholic
09-03-2010, 3:29 PM
Thank you for sharing that...this information is always good to know.

freezerrat
09-03-2010, 4:16 PM
OK, from what I read, these are the issues;
1-defective unit
2-lack of contact information
3-unit needs to be sent out for repair
4-no light during that time

Defects occur with even the best best brands. The OP acknowledged the greater risk with a cheaper unit. Took the gamble and lost, fair enough.
Lack of contact information I agree with 100%. I've visited their web site before and there is nothing there.
#3 and #4 kind of are linked. My issue with the OPs complaint is summed up in a question. What would the manufacturer of a top quality fixture have done differently? Would you have not had to send it out for repair? You probably would have. And during that time you would not have a light. The quality of the manufacturer has no bearing on that issue. Maybe I'm wrong, but would ANY mfg cover your lighting needs while repairs are made?

Acroholic
09-03-2010, 5:02 PM
Agreed. But I am not critiquing the OP's complaint. Good to know about the quality issue and lack of manufacturer contact.

Your points are valid. You should have to send the unit in for repair if the unit were several months old, but some manufacturers would just authorize the LFS to replace the unit, or the LFS, if it were more customer oriented, would realize that a defect in a 1 month old unit is terrible and swap out the unit for the OP and deal with the manufacturer themselves instead of making the OP deal with them.

JennM
09-03-2010, 5:18 PM
Typically, if you bought it at a local shop and it's under warranty, the shop should be able to help you with the exchange. (At least that's how I do business...)

If it's a SolarXtreme series, the distributor sold out of 400 units in 3 days, and they are still waiting on the new shipment. That might be why the local shop suggested getting in touch with the manufacturer. That's not normal procedure, usually, but since the distributor sold out quickly, and we know that it was going to take a while to get more in, the shop may have thought it would be quicker for you to go directly to them.

My suggestion would be to contact the shop that sold it to you and see if they can do an exchange on it for you.

I sold a bunch of these, and other products by the same manufacturer, and have had no issues (knock on wood). They are made of the same housing that the Wavepoint brand are made from, same GFI plug etc., glass lens, and a built-in timer like AquaticLife ones.

IMO they have the best of both fixtures (AquaticLife and Wavepoint) rolled into one.

I like the timer on the AL unit, but I like the GFI plug and glass lens on the Wavepoint. Wavepoint has no independent control of daylights and actinics (all ON or all OFF).

There's bound to be a lemon or two here and there - and it seems like you got one :(

Talk to your LFS, they should be able to help. If not, please contact me and I'll see what I can do for you. Not trying to step on anybody's toes here at all... just want to see you get sorted.

Jenn

johnr2604
09-03-2010, 5:19 PM
FWIW like stated above all fixtures have a failure rate. Its how it is handled. Why is the LFS not taking care of the warranty for you? I had a current fixture fail they had to replace. When I explained to them I had to have a light the Etailer sent me out a new fixture and a shipping label to send the other one back. Have you requested they do that for you?

JennM
09-03-2010, 5:25 PM
John, could be that there aren't any more of that make/model in stock right now - I just checked my distributor's site (and you probably buy from the same distributor!) they have been sold out since 3 days after their first shipment.

I was told that some were due to land around Aug. 22, but they'd still have to get into distribution (soon?!) So there should be more available I would think in the next week or two (or 3 at the most...)

Even the distributor didn't anticipate how quickly the shops (and consumers) would buy those fixtures up.

Not trying to make excuses for anyone, or speak for anyone but knowing that there is currently an unanticipated shortage, might be part of the problem.

Jenn

JennM
09-03-2010, 5:36 PM
You might want to also ask your LFS if they have a set of 'loaners lights'. If your fixture is working now and needs to be controlled manually, if the shop is aware of the problem, they may ask you to sit tight with that til new fixtures are available, and make the swap then, or offer up a loaner fixture until they can procure a new set for you.

There are lots of ways to make this situation right.

Jenn

johnr2604
09-03-2010, 5:54 PM
John, could be that there aren't any more of that make/model in stock right now - I just checked my distributor's site (and you probably buy from the same distributor!) they have been sold out since 3 days after their first shipment.

I was told that some were due to land around Aug. 22, but they'd still have to get into distribution (soon?!) So there should be more available I would think in the next week or two (or 3 at the most...)

Even the distributor didn't anticipate how quickly the shops (and consumers) would buy those fixtures up.

Not trying to make excuses for anyone, or speak for anyone but knowing that there is currently an unanticipated shortage, might be part of the problem.

JennGotcha, I didn't realize they were out of stock. You would think the manufacturer would hold some in reserve to handle warranty issues though

JennM
09-03-2010, 6:00 PM
Don't know. Most issues like this go right back to the distributor, unless the manufacturer stipulates otherwise. Usually it's a pretty simple procedure to get an exchange, but this particular model sold out faster than anybody would have guessed. It's a bit of a unique situation which may be why OP's local shop wasn't more helpful. Still, OP should speak to them and see if they can work something out.

I haven't heard an update on those in a few weeks but I would think they'll be back in distribution soon.

Jenn

Fish Scales2
09-03-2010, 6:17 PM
My thoughts as well. The lfs should just exchange it, if it is not in stock they should be able to come up with a solution.