View Full Version : Anybody Running MyReef 2.0 beta on thier RKE?

gnashty
08-03-2010, 10:20 PM
sounds awesome now that I read up on it, check out the link below for the real deal on the new functions - they fixed alot of bugs already so it should be out hopefully soon. I am going to ship my SID for the update tomorrow - anyone else do this yet?

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/news/myReef2

AndyMan
08-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I got me a new SID (or 3) not running beta software though... little too dangerous, I suspect they'll release myreef2 at MACNA

weaglereefer
08-04-2010, 1:18 AM
Mind if I borrow the SID til the Beta is over to flash to 2.0? Don't feel like shipping them mine...

gnashty
08-04-2010, 6:28 PM
I just sent my SID in today and got my RMA # when the new probes come out they will send it to me.

so Jeff, are you going to run the beta? I read a little more today from other beta testers and im not convinced yet...I can wait. I think Andy is right, they will maybe launch at MACNA, that being said I may wait a month after the launch for them to work anything new out they didnt fix in beta.

I know they delayed the SG probe production another month as of today, Im hoping i will get the new probe by the time I start running 2.0

DrNecropolis
08-04-2010, 6:52 PM
I tinkered with the beta.. Not hooked to the unit or anything since all I have is the headunit and a borrowed PC4.. LOL

Really neat to play with as far as options..

weaglereefer
08-04-2010, 7:01 PM
I wouldn't mind. My tank is mostly coral free at the moment save a few palys(preparing for a move hopefully soon) and between leaving the halides off, running the VHO only, and the auto feeder, it's pretty much on auto pilot right now, nothing I couldn't fix with some timers and powerstrips if I were to mess something up.

gnashty
08-04-2010, 7:01 PM
yeah - the interface is suppose to be really cool with livestock options and trackers and equipment service reminders and the whole works...

gnashty
08-04-2010, 7:16 PM
I wouldn't mind. My tank is mostly coral free at the moment save a few palys(preparing for a move hopefully soon) and between leaving the halides off, running the VHO only, and the auto feeder, it's pretty much on auto pilot right now, nothing I couldn't fix with some timers and powerstrips if I were to mess something up.

I have mine pretty heavily programmed and a factory reset with every build (I think they are on build 67 right now) could get daunting, and then another factory reset when it rolls out. If I worked from home it would be no biggie - I would do it in a heartbeat. out of 200 and something people on beta, only about 20 are having issues repeatedly.

On a side note , Have you created a signature generator yet? I tried for an hour to get mine up and gave up eventually - I wonder if it would work on this site...

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=736

weaglereefer
08-04-2010, 7:24 PM
Hehe, click that link, hope the guy's salinity is lower than 58.8 ppt...

I don't think the signature generator would work here since you can't get pics for a sig. I haven't worried about it since I traded the NET module to Andy. Decided I didn't need it til I was running the Elite.

AndyMan
08-04-2010, 7:26 PM
I have mine pretty heavily programmed and a factory reset with every build (I think they are on build 67 right now) could get daunting, and then another factory reset when it rolls out. If I worked from home it would be no biggie - I would do it in a heartbeat. out of 200 and something people on beta, only about 20 are having issues repeatedly.Daunting is 13 modules every time!

On a side note , Have you created a signature generator yet? I tried for an hour to get mine up and gave up eventually - I wonder if it would work on this site...

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=736

I'll have to play, see what I can get going :D

AndyMan
08-04-2010, 7:45 PM
Looks like we'd need modifications to the signatures allowed for them to work on here

Allow Image BB Code No

Will most certainly need to be changed for signatures....

LilRobb
08-04-2010, 7:53 PM
Send a formal proposal to the BOD - follow the official way and it will be evaluated...

AndyMan
08-04-2010, 7:54 PM
Send a formal proposal to the BOD - follow the official way and it will be evaluated...I don't do formal :D

BUT there is another way of skinning the preverbial cat . . .

gnashty
08-04-2010, 8:04 PM
Daunting is 13 modules every time!

I'll have to play, see what I can get going :D

Yeah, 13 would suck - I only have 8 right now and Im good for now. Flashing them all up to the latest FW would be VERY daunting!! I do like the spreadsheet they have to keep track of it all before you reset

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7078

Here is a nice Timer/Doser spreadsheet to help keep track too
http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/search.php?fid[]=4

The Signature feature is cool, but only if it would work on more than just the DA site.

AndyMan
08-04-2010, 8:18 PM
and that 13 excludes head unit(s)

AndyMan
08-04-2010, 9:55 PM
and here's the request for changes along with a sample realtime dynamic image example

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46701

gnashty
08-05-2010, 9:19 AM
Sweet Andy!!

gnashty
08-06-2010, 10:22 AM
what happened to our last few posts????

Schwaggs
08-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Are you guys saying that every time you update firmware, the system needs to be re-programmed?

gnashty
08-06-2010, 12:33 PM
No, not firmware but when upgrading to the new version which is about to come out it will need a factory reset

AndyMan
08-06-2010, 12:47 PM
new version = newer version of "myReef" (the PC application)
ALSO, there are requirements for older systems/modules to be reprogrammed/monitored using an updated interface device which is free from DA basically, an exchange for your old one to the newer better version

bobz
09-27-2010, 8:35 PM
I just sent my SID in to DA to be programmed to V 2.03. I'll be updating my system when I am home in a couple of weeks since I sure as heck do not want to update things and head out of town. Has any one got any current info on the beta release. Seems like DA hasn't updated any thing is the past month. I was waiting for the GA release but it doesn't look like that's coming out any time soon. I'll be interested to hear from any one who is running beta and using the software. I'm also thinking about buying the SL2 once they start shipping the new salinity probes.

Bob

hfleming
09-27-2010, 9:13 PM
I just ordered the net module, should be here Friday. Next on the list is the SL2 module. I'm like Bob, I am going to wait until the new salinity probes are out.

I am going to wait in myreef until I get the net module sorted out.

gnashty
09-28-2010, 7:46 AM
I just sent my SID in to DA to be programmed to V 2.03. I'll be updating my system when I am home in a couple of weeks since I sure as heck do not want to update things and head out of town. Has any one got any current info on the beta release. Seems like DA hasn't updated any thing is the past month. I was waiting for the GA release but it doesn't look like that's coming out any time soon. I'll be interested to hear from any one who is running beta and using the software. I'm also thinking about buying the SL2 once they start shipping the new salinity probes.

Bob

Im in the same boat as you Bob - I figured it would have been released shortly after MACNA but I guess not. Im going to hold out til Christmas and if it isnt out yet, I may go beta. What I dont like is when you go beta you have to do a full factory reset and after beta as well. This is a task Im not yet willing to tackle. I have heard people have a very "buggy" experience and have heard of people who have had no problems at all...im not lucky enough to be the 2nd guy! If you work at home or at least have someone home frequently and dont travel much, I would say Beta is for you - if you travel 3 days a week sometimes like me then I wouldnt advise it..

I have a defective SG Probe - hopefully they will ship me my new one by christmas as well...:sad:

bobz
09-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Im in the same boat as you Bob - I figured it would have been released shortly after MACNA but I guess not. Im going to hold out til Christmas and if it isnt out yet, I may go beta. What I dont like is when you go beta you have to do a full factory reset and after beta as well. This is a task Im not yet willing to tackle. I have heard people have a very "buggy" experience and have heard of people who have had no problems at all...im not lucky enough to be the 2nd guy! If you work at home or at least have someone home frequently and dont travel much, I would say Beta is for you - if you travel 3 days a week sometimes like me then I wouldnt advise it..

I have a defective SG Probe - hopefully they will ship me my new one by christmas as well...:sad:

That's what I was thinking too and you convinced me to wait! Too much at risk to take the chance while I am gone. Things seem to be working well right now and don't want to screw it up. I am still interested in hearing about any local experience with the new release, good or bad.

thanks,
BZ

dyer_maker
09-30-2010, 3:59 PM
I won't touch it at this point, not for a while at least. I've seen stories of people having the system just stop functioning out of the blue. I am running a RK Lite in parallel as a backup just in case but even then the existing release has been so stable I don't want to risk it. Everything has been running great on mine for almost a year now.

gnashty
09-30-2010, 6:22 PM
I won't touch it at this point, not for a while at least. I've seen stories of people having the system just stop functioning out of the blue. I am running a RK Lite in parallel as a backup just in case but even then the existing release has been so stable I don't want to risk it. Everything has been running great on mine for almost a year now.

Mine has been running nicely for me right now too so i dont want to jinx it

LandonL
10-28-2010, 1:25 PM
I am running myReef V2 with a RKE on a smaller system that isn't really stocked yet. I still wouldn't trust it on a fully stocked system, because I still see some erratic behavior at times.

Maybe DA will get a final release out by the end of the year, however doubtful that is.

Landon

gnashty
10-28-2010, 2:00 PM
I am running myReef V2 with a RKE on a smaller system that isn't really stocked yet. I still wouldn't trust it on a fully stocked system, because I still see some erratic behavior at times.

Maybe DA will get a final release out by the end of the year, however doubtful that is.

Landon

I assure you that will not happen, if they had it out of beta before Spring I would be extremely surprised.

They just pushed the ship dates of the SG probes for like the 8th time.

bobz
10-28-2010, 2:06 PM
I was just checking yesterday as well. I've got my updated SID back but I have not had time to do anything.

LandonL
10-28-2010, 3:08 PM
I assure you that will not happen, if they had it out of beta before Spring I would be extremely surprised.

They just pushed the ship dates of the SG probes for like the 8th time.

Thats no big surprise. I have been such a thorn in their side calling them on their lies that I am sure my face is on a dart board in Scott's office.

I shoot holes through every excuse they give.

Landon

gnashty
10-28-2010, 3:13 PM
Thats no big surprise. I have been such a thorn in their side calling them on their lies that I am sure my face is on a dart board in Scott's office.

I shoot holes through every excuse they give.

Landon

Me too!! I posted a big "are you kidding me thread" after i spent a ton of money trying to get my Net mod running and after reading all the negative posts I had enough and let it go on their forum....havent been treated the same since.

They told me you can run it wirelessly with a game adapter.....bought one, tried it every which way...nothing. Then they told me to use a WAP....bought one, tried it every which way...nothing. Then finally they said you couldnt use either. so then I finally paid someone to come and run a Cat 5 to my tank cabinet

Crewdawg1981
10-28-2010, 3:20 PM

Na. I wont even say it ;)

gnashty
10-28-2010, 3:24 PM

YOU!!!!

:lightsaber2:

:D

LandonL
10-28-2010, 3:24 PM
They told me you can run it wirelessly with a game adapter.....bought one, tried it every which way...nothing. Then they told me to use a WAP....bought one, tried it every which way...nothing. Then finally they said you couldnt use either. so then I finally paid someone to come and run a Cat 5 to my tank cabinet[/QUOTE]

Just look at a lot of frustration posted in their forum on RC, which doesn't even include a lot of the more scathing threads that were deleted. To me that amounts to censorship.

I have probably ran into over 20 or 30 people myself who have dumped their products in favor of the Apex. The inverse of that is I have only seen one person switch from an Apex to an RKE. That speaks volumes about the products in comparison to me.

Say what?

Crewdawg1981
10-28-2010, 3:27 PM
Gary always appreciates my enthusiasm for the Neptune Apex

LandonL
10-28-2010, 3:34 PM

I am a big fan of the Apex also. I have seen the light now that I have one.... I am also an enormous critic of the RKE/RKL induced by a bad case of buyers remorse.

gnashty
10-28-2010, 3:35 PM
Say what?

oh, nothing...his tank is sponsored by Apex :lol2:

gnashty
10-28-2010, 3:53 PM

Its turning into a jealous rage at this point!!