View Full Version : What should I put in my fuge?

Assault
07-28-2010, 6:32 PM
I have a 300g decorative fuge, was gonna put seahorses in there, but pregnant males can be a PIA. want to add something easy care, that can provide fry for my main tank. any ideas?

Ace of Spades
07-28-2010, 6:36 PM
My sump/fuge, was positioned next to my tank, so it was visible all the time.

I used LR and rubble to hide my return/ feed lines/ skimmer etc.

But I put xenia in there, I really like the way that stuff looks. But no way was I putting it in my display. It spread all over the rocks, never made it into my display. I also had a huge emerald crab that developed a taste for chaeto, ate it like spaghetti, in there. But I mostly just kept it clean, the tank wasn't as much of an eye sore as all the accesories that go along with it (plumbing, skimmer, etc.)

Assault
07-28-2010, 6:42 PM
My sump/fuge, was positioned next to my tank, so it was visible all the time.

I used LR and rubble to hide my return/ feed lines/ skimmer etc.

But I put xenia in there, I really like the way that stuff looks. But no way was I putting it in my display. It spread all over the rocks, never made it into my display. I also had a huge emerald crab that developed a taste for chaeto, ate it like spaghetti, in there. But I mostly just kept it clean, the tank wasn't as much of an eye sore as all the accesories that go along with it (plumbing, skimmer, etc.)

sry, I mean fish or inverts, left that out by mistake

weaglereefer
07-28-2010, 6:43 PM
Cardinals

Assault
07-28-2010, 6:50 PM
Cardinals

yeah was thinking about Cardinals and peppermint shrimp, is that a good combo?

weaglereefer
07-28-2010, 6:59 PM
Why the shrimp? You'll probably never see them.

Assault
07-28-2010, 7:05 PM
don't they breed a lot?

Ace of Spades
07-28-2010, 7:06 PM
How big is the fuge going to be?

Assault
07-28-2010, 7:07 PM
How big is the fuge going to be?

300g

Acroholic
07-28-2010, 7:13 PM
If you are specifically looking for a fish that will breed and make fry for your other fish to eat, you might look at Sailfin Mollies. They are a euryhaline fish (able to adapt to differing salinities), and can be found in fresh to total seawater environments in the wild.

They have internal fertilization and give birth to live young. And when they breed they require an algae mat, which is perfect if you have algae growing in your refugium.

Might make it an ideal refugium breeder.

Ace of Spades
07-28-2010, 7:13 PM
Oh sorry, just re read the OP. What about some non reef safe fish? Like big angels or file fish?

I thought you had said earlier that you were also having a FOWLR tank, are there any fish that you want to keep that won't be compatible for that tank?

brianjfinn
07-28-2010, 7:19 PM
If you are specifically looking for a fish that will breed and make fry for your other fish to eat, you might look at Sailfin Mollies. They are a euryhaline fish (able to adapt to differing salinities), and can be found in fresh to total seawater environments in the wild.

They have internal fertilization and give birth to live young. And when they breed they require an algae mat, which is perfect if you have algae growing in your refugium.

+1. I'd also look into clowns or cardinals if you're looking for easy breeders.

RaisedOnNintendo
07-28-2010, 7:20 PM
300g

Fits hawiain dragon eel that things freaking sick looking then the eel won't eat every thing. N I'd fill it with those tiger pods. That makes lot o fry. I know the eel don't make fry but pods do. N put a shark n the main tank

Assault
07-28-2010, 7:21 PM

this may be the ticket, what would be good for a tankmate? considering the fry aspect

Acroholic
07-28-2010, 7:38 PM
this may be the ticket, what would be good for a tankmate? considering the fry aspect

That's a question I can't answer. I've never set up a fuge with this purpose in mind. Few things will turn down an easy meal of fish fry if they can get it.

Assault
07-28-2010, 7:42 PM
That's a question I can't answer. I've never set up a fuge with this purpose in mind. Few things will turn down an easy meal of fish fry if they can get it.

i'm thinking more in the lines of slow tankmates, i should be able to rig an area to protect the fry, also need to be able to flush em down the gravity feed

Acroholic
07-28-2010, 7:43 PM
+1. I'd also look into clowns or cardinals if you're looking for easy breeders.

I was thinking that SF Mollies would be the more prolific breeder, but seeing how I have never bred any of these fish, I could be wrong. I was thinking the Mollies would be best because they don't go thru the egg stage in the tank

Several pairs of SF Mollies would probably keep you supplied with a steady stream of babies.

I just may throw a pair in my cheato fuge and see what happens (after a slow acclimation to SW).

Well, off to Petland Dunwoody.

weaglereefer
07-28-2010, 7:56 PM
Used to have FW mollies when I was younger. Let's just say 3 mollies turned into about 30 over 2 years and outgrew my 29g...

johnr2604
07-28-2010, 8:01 PM
My vote is for water. You will definitely need some water in there :D

Acroholic
07-28-2010, 8:08 PM

Yup...definitely gots to have you some water.:up:

Assault
07-28-2010, 8:24 PM

I've been praying for water for a monthy now:sad:

RaisedOnNintendo
07-28-2010, 10:53 PM
I was thinking that SF Mollies would be the more prolific breeder, but seeing how I have never bred any of these fish, I could be wrong. I was thinking the Mollies would be best because they don't go thru the egg stage in the tank

Several pairs of SF Mollies would probably keep you supplied with a steady stream of babies.

I just may throw a pair in my cheato fuge and see what happens (after a slow acclimation to SW).

Well, off to Petland Dunwoody.
I agree mollies r good breeders. I'd get the black mollies they do best n salt it seems to me n e ways. As for pairs thats not needed. A single male will get around if u know what I mean. I'd do more like 5 males n 40 females n I tank that size.

Assault
07-28-2010, 10:55 PM
just gotta have a way to get the fry to my fish, or i'll end up with 200 mollies:D

Acroholic
07-28-2010, 10:59 PM
just gotta have a way to get the fry to my fish, or i'll end up with 200 mollies:D

Tank is drilled with a simple overflow to the display? No pumps involved that could grind them up, right?

Assault
07-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Tank is drilled with a simple overflow to the display? No pumps involved that could grind them up, right?

fuge is elevated about 6 ft up and will be plumbed downward on a diagonal about 12 ft away.

ichthyoid
07-28-2010, 11:12 PM

Good points on both counts Dave. Salt compatible and P_R_O_L_I_F_I_C !

I put 1 male (beautiful too) and 3 females in a pond I dug in my back yard when I was a kid. Before long I had hundreds! I sold them to my LFS for 2 cents each (WOO HOO) til he got tired of buying them :(

Assault
07-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Good points on both counts Dave. Salt compatible and P_R_O_L_I_F_I_C !

I put 1 male (beautiful too) and 3 females in a pond I dug in my back yard when I was a kid. Before long I had hundreds! I sold them to my LFS for 2 cents each (WOO HOO) til he got tired of buying them :(

nice hustle

Acroholic
07-28-2010, 11:50 PM
fuge is elevated about 6 ft up and will be plumbed downward on a diagonal about 12 ft away.

If you go with mollies, then you may find that the babies just find their way into the overflow and into the DT naturally as they cruise around the refugium. You might not need to do anything. They'd certainly be small enough to get thru the teeth of an overflow. You'd need to avoid any kind of prefiltration in the fuge overflow so they make it straight to the DT.

I picked up a couple pairs of mollies tonight and put them in my cheato refugium. I'll let you know how they do.

courterbobby
07-29-2010, 1:21 AM
If you are specifically looking for a fish that will breed and make fry for your other fish to eat, you might look at Sailfin Mollies....

Oh please god NO! I might not have had any luck with raising clown fry yet, but I have a freakin Molly farm going on in my display right now. I bought them to "feed" things in my tank and provide little snacks every now and then, and NOT ONE THING is eating them!

Smoothie
07-29-2010, 1:22 AM
Oh please god NO! I might not have had any luck with raising clown fry yet, but I have a freakin Molly farm going on in my display right now. I bought them to "feed" things in my tank and provide little snacks every now and then, and NOT ONE THING is eating them!
Sounds like a better move for an aggressive tank

Acroholic
07-29-2010, 1:25 AM

What fish do you have in your DT?

courterbobby
07-29-2010, 2:32 AM
Non aggressive fish.. Sailfin tang, yellow tang, regal, clowns, royal gramma... The first batch the mollies had, they gobbled them right up. Now they don't bother with them.