View Full Version : AquaEuro 265 First Take

Cameron
05-15-2007, 9:32 PM
Well here it is... Big dual recirc skimmer with a true union ball valve already attached. The unit is extremely well built and very solid. Seems cast as well or possibly better than my Octopus. The collection cup is plenty big and includes a drain already built in. Packing was excellent and no noticable damage.

I haven't tested it yet, but it is a horse of a skimmer. The pumps are GenX knock offs that are apparently not as good based on some testing over at reefcentral. For the price (about $280 including shipping) I can throw on a couple GenXs with the mesh mod and blow it out. For now, I am going to stick to stock and see what she can do.

Design elements I don't like and knew about going in:

Too much plumbing on the recirc side, would have been better to mount the pumps right to the chamber rather than plumb them away from the unit. Looks cool though.
Should have used a gate valve rather than a ball valve.
Smaller neck size than I like. Going to make cleaning the chamber a real bear. I would have liked the ability to detach the neck from the body.
The pumps as stated above have me concerned. Good news is they are virtual direct rips from the GenX line so I can always throw another $100 at it solve that problem without doing any hacking.
Metric plumbing. Not a huge deal but makes some future mods troublesome.
Couple people have commented the acrylic composition isn't the best, but it is very thick and to my knowledge nobody has ever damaged a unit from AquaEuroI will post more once I clean it and get it installed on my system. Might as well start lining up now to buy this thing off of me since I know I still have the itch to move up and test an Orca Systems skimmer.

There is a paper towel roll in a couple of the pics to give some scale.

wbholwell
05-15-2007, 9:56 PM
What a cool-looking skimmer! What's the retail?

Cameron
05-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Currently about $270, but they are supposed to go about another $100 in a month or two.

wbholwell
05-15-2007, 10:40 PM
sounds like a steal- wish I had room for it in my sum :-(

Big D
05-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Cameron, is the footprint on the website accurate?... I was going to order one, but it's looking like it's too big. Do you think you'll have any more luck modding the pumps than Hahns did?.. I think maybe if the impellor is trimmed down and mesh modded, it would pull a lot more air.

David

Big D
05-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Might as well start lining up now to buy this thing off of me since I know I still have the itch to move up and test an Orca Systems skimmer.

If this one would fit, he'd already be making mine... :yes: But I'd have to do some major replumbing to get it under the stand which is really the only option. You gotta love that flanged neck!!!

http://www.protein-skimmer.com/images/customers/446996/gallery/3%20x%20A.B.%20Protein%20skimmer%20005.JPG

David

Dakota
05-15-2007, 10:53 PM
I've got some modelling files you can borrow if you decide to port and polish the impeller housing.

If you are going to mesh it, you might as well open up the choke. I'm sensing a Dwyer Air Meter in your near future. LOL

McMaster-Carr sells metric to standard adapters if you need any.

Are you planning on running it external and gravity fed?

Looks like you got a great deal on a very nice skimmer. Congrats!

Xyzpdq0121
05-15-2007, 11:17 PM
http://www.protein-skimmer.com/images/customers/446996/gallery/3%20x%20A.B.%20Protein%20skimmer%20005.JPG

Something tells me this thing is just a penis extension for a reef geek!

Big D
05-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Something tells me this thing is just a penis extension for a reef geek!

Ohhhh yeah... just imagine the chicks you could pull with one.

Better yet, you could have Spazz build you one of these and you'd see some major action:

http://www.aquaticacrylics.com/images/IMG_7420.JPG

David

Cameron
05-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Cameron, is the footprint on the website accurate?... I was going to order one, but it's looking like it's too big. Do you think you'll have any more luck modding the pumps than Hahns did?.. I think maybe if the impellor is trimmed down and mesh modded, it would pull a lot more air.

DavidI would say that you need about 19.75 x 11.25 inches to fit this into a space. The height is 30", but about 30.75 to remove the collection cup.

I doubt it since Hahn is really good with this kind of thing. However after seeing the bubble size and output in other samples from the stock pumps, it appears that it will work for me without a problem since it is on a 120 with about 15-20 gallons in a sump. If I wanted more, two GenX 4100 pumps meshed would make for a monster skimmer in sheer output and I believe the pumps would go on without modifying the plumbing. Might have to go with a 2400, but still a big step up for around $100. That would bring the skimmer to around $380 including shipping and while not the deal of the century it is still a great deal for such a large skimmer.

Cameron
05-16-2007, 12:08 AM
If this one would fit, he'd already be making mine... :yes: But I'd have to do some major replumbing to get it under the stand which is really the only option. You gotta love that flanged neck!!!The Orca skimmers are apparently really well built and use the H3 pumps which are OR pumps I believe. Great deal for what it is. I think the one you showed was using the Aquabee pumps and it was $1500 I think. A flanged neck is a better design without a doubt.

Cameron
05-16-2007, 12:12 AM
I've got some modelling files you can borrow if you decide to port and polish the impeller housing.I'll just hack it up. I have some brute force kind of tools that will work for this sort of thing. From other testing it seems that no changes including using EuroReef venturis improve performance on the pump. Looking at it, it seems the pumps already have a pretty good sized opening. Looks bigger than my Octopus NW150 opening.

If you are going to mesh it, you might as well open up the choke. I'm sensing a Dwyer Air Meter in your near future. LOLWouldn't mind borrowing someones just to try it.

Are you planning on running it external and gravity fed?External and pump fed to start. If I am happy with the performance, I will likely alter my plumbing. I am just not sold on any one skimmer yet.

Looks like you got a great deal on a very nice skimmer. Congrats!Thanks.

mufret
05-16-2007, 12:22 AM
The Orca skimmers are apparently really well built and use the H3 pumps which are OR pumps I believe. Great deal for what it is. I think the one you showed was using the Aquabee pumps and it was $1500 I think. A flanged neck is a better design without a doubt.

They are using the Hialea pumps on most of their skimmers. It's the same company that manufactures the OR pumps for AquaMedic but I believe there are some slight differences. Hialea manufactures all the Octopus/Coralvue/PCI pumps, as well.

Cameron
05-16-2007, 9:17 AM
Normally I think they use the H3 pumps, but they also will put Aquabee or GenX pumps on anything you want. A guy just bought an Orca with three Aquabee pumps for just over $1500.

Big D
05-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Normally I think they use the H3 pumps, but they also will put Aquabee or GenX pumps on anything you want. A guy just bought an Orca with three Aquabee pumps for just over $1500.

I thought he said it was compareable in price to the D.A.S. EX3. That puts the Orca way out of the picture for me. Cameron, looks like your gonna have to help me put a GenX4100 or a H3 pump on a Aquaeuro. With one pump, I could make it work no problem, not sure if one will pull enough air though. Do you know what a mesh modded H3 will pull as far as air volume?

Cameron
05-16-2007, 4:16 PM
The easy pick for a skimmer is the stock Orca which uses the H3 and runs $420. He will mesh mod if for you for about $10 from what I understand. That is one hell of a skimmer, but will come in at around $470 after shipping.

If you go with the AE and decide to go with stock, you will be getting about 20scfh which is pretty good just not for the wattage it is pulling. If you switch to GenX 2400 with mesh mod you will be pulling around 50scfh. Drill out the venturis, and that could easily jack you up to 65scfh on a couple pumps that draw around 70watts total. You can do better with bigger GenX 4100 pumps with some minor plumping mods which get around 35scfh maybe 40-45scfh with bigger venturis. Another option which could be extremely impressive is the Sedra 3500 pumps which should fit on this skimmer without mods. Don't know what they pull but it is supposed to be slightly higher than the GenXs.

At any rate, stock the skimmer will likely handle your system. Change out the pumps for those GenX and I am sure it will. The skimmer is only $230 with another $45 in shipping. That price won't last long from what I have been told as AE is going to raise the price of the skimmers by about $50 to start and another $50 shortly after that.

Pretty much everyone except Hahn has been really happy with these skimmers.

mufret
05-16-2007, 4:53 PM
Cameron, are the fittings standard US PVC? I've heard that there's been some frustration "modding" these because of the different size PVC used. There was some discussion that this might be changing. AquaEuro is very interested in getting feedback and is actually making changes to the skimmers based on suggestions and input from the hobbyist.

Bleedingthought
05-16-2007, 5:01 PM
What's the highest size tank do you think the AEs will handle, though?

Cameron
05-16-2007, 5:47 PM
Cameron, are the fittings standard US PVC? I've heard that there's been some frustration "modding" these because of the different size PVC used. There was some discussion that this might be changing. AquaEuro is very interested in getting feedback and is actually making changes to the skimmers based on suggestions and input from the hobbyist.I will have to pull out a screw fitting and see. It looks pretty close to 1/2", but metrics always do.

As for the size, that would depend on who you ask. Its body says it can handle a very large system probably nearing or passing 200g. The dual needlewheel recirc part supports this as well, but if the pumps really do pull in a combined 20scfh that would put it in the 120g + sump neck of the woods. IMO, stock it is still better than a NW200 which is a good skimmer for the initial buck (AE pulls near 80w though) and probably as good as the Recirc NW200. The Recirc NW200 gets the nod IMO since a simple change to mesh wheel makes it a much better skimmer and pulls less watts. Now throw another 100 or so at the AE bringing its current cost to $330 and I think it hangs between the Recirc NW200 and the the dual recirc NW250.

Is it worth $230 + $45 shipping... I would say very much yes. Will it skim my 120g well, I would say yes. If I had 200g system would I consider it, yes but with mods. So far this thing is skimming in other tanks VERY well.

What are your opinions Mike? You are more a skimmer expert than I am.

Cameron
05-22-2007, 2:15 AM
Update: As of now the pumps are getting a really bad rap. Several people have reported rust problems with the pumps. I will have to read more and I believe this is for submerged running only, but still a quality control issue.

mufret
05-22-2007, 8:08 AM
Cameron, I've never observed or used one so any opinion I have would need taken with a "grain of salt". I really need to stop by and take a look at yours in action! I do see some things in your pics though that might prevent someone from doing the normal, less destructive mods to improve the skimmers performance. The biggest concern for me would be the single intake for the 2 pumps. Is that 1/2" plumbing as well? If it is, that might be one of the factors that is limiting the current pumps and it would certainly be a deterrent to adding any larger pumps to the skimmer.

Cameron
05-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Cameron, I've never observed or used one so any opinion I have would need taken with a "grain of salt". I really need to stop by and take a look at yours in action! I do see some things in your pics though that might prevent someone from doing the normal, less destructive mods to improve the skimmers performance. The biggest concern for me would be the single intake for the 2 pumps. Is that 1/2" plumbing as well? If it is, that might be one of the factors that is limiting the current pumps and it would certainly be a deterrent to adding any larger pumps to the skimmer.Looking at it, the pump intake before it is T'd is 1". The T appears to be 1" and the True Union where each pump connects to the T is 1/2". I don't think it will have any problem drawing water from the main chamber, but you are correct it could and likely will limit moving up to larger pumps. Personally, I am looking at the GenX 2400 which I believe is what this pump is cloned from. I know the 2400 modded doesn't produce percentage wise numbers as good as the 4100, but I think two 2400s with the mesh mod are going to make an OK skimmer a great skimmer for around $300. I certainly think with that change it will hold its own against anything in this price range and then some. I don't think you can take it to the next level without breaking out the drill and plumbing however. For my 120g, I believe stock it will get the job done and with those two new pumps should be plenty big enough.

If you are talking about water into the skimmer, I believe the skimmer input is 1/2"-esk possible a bit larger, but I don't think that is a real problem as most recircs are supposed to only get 1-2 times the tanks volume running through the skimmer at any given time. You can easily pump 400g though that opening which would put you in the 200g neck of the woods. Even the Orca shown previously has about the same size opening and it is a triple recirc. I think I used 5/8 OD and 1/2 ID tubing, but you can put a larger nozzle on the opening.

BTW, I haven't plugged it in yet but hopefully that will be today.

Cameron
05-24-2007, 4:44 PM
Update: It has been running since late day Tuesday and I am just now getting my first foam head so it is breaking in a bit longer than I hoped. The skimmer pumps are very quite, but the amount of bubbles produced creates a constant shhhhhhhhhhhhhh sound... kinda fizzy. Bubble size seems excellent and bubble quantity I would rate as good. There is a bit of turbulence in the main chamber, but this may calm down a bit and nothing too bad. I will post more pics once I start getting some skimmate out. So far no real suprises.

Cameron
07-20-2007, 2:00 AM
Another update. Skimmer is doing well and I can easily recommend it for tanks around 120g and some larger as long as you plan to run it external. The clone line of these pumps including GenX pumps are having a rust problem which doesn't effect them when run externally. They started shipping the upgraded pumps this week so in a couple weeks or so it should be safe to order one that will have the metal sealed.

The big news for this skimmer is that it seems to readily accept the Aquabee pumps. This simply means you can buy the DAS version of the aquabee pumps here: http://stores.petorama.net/Detail.bok?no=51. These pumps have been rated at 500lph each stock. This simply means that throwing two of these on an AE265 puts it into BubbleMaster, H&S, BubbleKing territory when it comes to air intake performance. So for just over $400 you would have a skimmer that could easily handle very large tanks. I am not saying it as good as the other skimmers, but for half or a third the cost it is certainly going to be close.

The other news pump wise is that apparently these cheap pumps from Aquatraders: http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=290 apparently two put out around 700lph with a mesh mod. So for about $75 including shipping you can get some pretty spectacular performance. Not sure how easily these fit onto the AE265 yet.

Roland Jacques
07-20-2007, 9:11 PM
Cameron,
Thanks for all the good info.

mufret
07-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Cameron, did you put the DAS pumps on yours?

Cameron
07-21-2007, 5:43 AM
Not yet. I am going to finish waiting on the all the research to come in. It is exciting these days with guys like hahn modding every pump he can lay his hands on. The skimmer right now is doing a great job on my tank. I know it could be better, but it is sucking enough skimmate out for me right now. Right now I am thinking either a GenX-2400, Sedras , ORs or those ultra cheap Odyssea pumps just for a cost factor. I don't need a super skimmer, but wouldn't mind having some improvement. Course those AB pumps apparently pull as much air as water and really calm down the turbulence in the skimmer which IMO is the only real problem with them.

We need to get that guy in here to do a talk on his research. He knows more about pumps and what goes on what better than anyone it seems these days.

Bleedingthought
07-21-2007, 9:32 AM
As I understand, there is a recall on the original pumps. They are replacing them for free.

Cameron
07-21-2007, 10:56 AM
AE has done a standup job in this regard. Apparently countless other brands including the GenX line have this problem but AE at their own cost is shipping pumps to those that call in. As of last week, they have the problem solved and all new units ship with the problem fixed or at least that is what others have posted on reefcentral.

Bleedingthought
07-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Ok, same source of info here. :)

Personally, how would you say the 265 stacks up against the 400, Cameron? :)

I've read on RC about people using the AEUSA 400 on systems 200+ and I'm wondering if they're under-skimming.

Cameron
07-21-2007, 11:24 AM
The 400 is in sump since getting the out tube plumbed is a pain, but I know people who do run externally. The fact that it is well built triple recirc with a huge body means it should easily handle 200+ gallon systems with one caveat... upgraded pumps. The pumps just don't push out enough to run them on big systems. Replace those with meshed OR, GenX, AB, etc pumps and this thing is an even bigger monster than the AE265. I got the AE because I just didn't want anything bigger, but I would have gotten this one had I the room. Its recirc design is more conventional and IMO much better than the AE265 to boot.

I will go so far as to say this skimmer with those DAS pumps would easily compete with a Deltec or H&S head to head which is pretty good for a skimmer that would run $600 including the three upgraded pumps. If I remember correctly, people are actually running it with two ABs and one stock since the ABs are almost too much for the skimmer.

Cameron
07-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Here are some shots for those that haven't seen one:

JustOneMoreTank
07-21-2007, 11:32 AM
:wow2: Wow! Looks like a great skimmer and it is really working well for you. I also love all the info on upgrading the pumps to compete with the big boys (read expensive boys) in the industry. :thumbs:

Bleedingthought
07-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Well, the skimmer itself (classic 400) is only $250. :up:

Bleedingthought
07-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Actually, $245. :D

Cameron
07-21-2007, 1:44 PM
The skimmer is about $290 after shipping if you are looking at reefnut.com. With stock pumps the 400 just isn't going to be the performer it needs to be since the pumps are only pulling around 200lph and pushing 500gph which means not enough air and too much turbulence for what you are getting. You are going to have to buy some better pumps to run this on a larger tank IMO. The DAS pumps are $120 each and I think you only need two to get you to the 1200lph mark which would be around $550 total. You could do three GenX meshed pumps which would put you in the 1100lph neck of the woods for far less at around $150 bringing the total to around $450. Sicce pumps could be used but they run $110 each if I am not mistaken. It is a great body hampered by ineffecient pumps. The AE265 has the same problem, but I am only running it on a 120g. With AB pumps, you could easily run on the AE265 on a 200g+ system as well.

Bleedingthought
07-21-2007, 1:54 PM
The skimmer is about $290 after shipping if you are looking at reefnut.com. With stock pumps the 400 just isn't going to be the performer it needs to be since the pumps are only pulling around 200lph and pushing 500gph which means not enough air and too much turbulence for what you are getting. You are going to have to buy some better pumps to run this on a larger tank IMO. The DAS pumps are $120 each and I think you only need two to get you to the 1200lph mark which would be around $550 total. You could do three GenX meshed pumps which would put you in the 1100lph neck of the woods for far less at around $150 bringing the total to around $450. Sicce pumps could be used but they run $110 each if I am not mistaken. It is a great body hampered by ineffecient pumps. The AE265 has the same problem, but I am only running it on a 120g. With AB pumps, you could easily run on the AE265 on a 200g+ system as well.
I was looking at OceansAquarium: http://www.oceansaquariums.com/product_info.php?products_id=204&osCsid=ad4huneob4pgh5qmbn958ls8b4

So, between the 400 and the 265, both with AB pumps, which would perform better, that you've seen/heard/read? :)

Cameron
07-21-2007, 2:02 PM
Two different animals... well almost. The pump configuration on the AE400 is "classic" and it does have more pumps. Past that the AE265 is much taller by about 6", but the 400 is larger around by about 2". Clearly the 400 was designed for a larger tank, but with the AB pumps on them I think it starts to even out pretty fast IMO. The AE400 can't handle 3 ABs from my understanding so it is really down to what fits in your setup more than anything else IMO. If you have room in your sump, the 400 is hard to beat. If you want to run it external and/or skim from the overflows, the AE265 is likley your better choice.

Cameron
07-21-2007, 2:06 PM
Another good choice is the Orca skimmer which would run you around $500 shipped and it is an all-in-one package. He will mesh mod the H3 pump which can easily pull 1000lph or more. It won't be as effecient as an AE265 with two AB pumps, but it will perform as well or better and that skimmer is a better design.

http://www.protein-skimmer.com/shopping.asp?id=446996&itemid=6658&ct=1&shopperid=49815&merchantid=446996&shop=itemdetail.asp

If you are looking for a skimmer you can upgrade over time though, these AEs are about as good as it gets.

Bleedingthought
07-21-2007, 2:54 PM
Another good choice is the Orca skimmer which would run you around $500 shipped and it is an all-in-one package. He will mesh mod the H3 pump which can easily pull 1000lph or more. It won't be as effecient as an AE265 with two AB pumps, but it will perform as well or better and that skimmer is a better design.

http://www.protein-skimmer.com/shopping.asp?id=446996&itemid=6658&ct=1&shopperid=49815&merchantid=446996&shop=itemdetail.asp

If you are looking for a skimmer you can upgrade over time though, these AEs are about as good as it gets.
Is it $70 to ship it?

I've heard good things about the orca skimmers as well. Only thing you lost me on was that you said that the Orca 8.5" RC won't be as efficient as the AER265 (with ABs) but will perform as well or better? Do you mean it's not as energy efficient but will perform better nonetheless?

Big D
07-21-2007, 2:58 PM
Hahn lately has been referencing Qiuet One pumps as being the same manufacturer as the Sicce pumps. Looking at them, the valute on the Sicce's looks alot different, but then I've never taken the shroud off of a Quiet One. They are getting some good numbers out of mesh modded QO's too. Not sure if it woould be a direct bolt on replacement (most likey not), but they are much cheaper than the DAS's.

Thiago, if your looking for a skimmer, you might want to consider an EX series DAS. They are getting really good reviews and work right out of the box with no modding. The one thing I notice right off the bat on them is the larger neck size. The AE seem to be smaller, but if you like to mod, it may be the way to go. I think I'm going to start offing some extra equipment so I can buy the mother of all skimmers (well, maybe the step mother). :o

Big D

Bleedingthought
07-21-2007, 2:59 PM
Two different animals... well almost. The pump configuration on the AE400 is "classic" and it does have more pumps. Past that the AE265 is much taller by about 6", but the 400 is larger around by about 2". Clearly the 400 was designed for a larger tank, but with the AB pumps on them I think it starts to even out pretty fast IMO. The AE400 can't handle 3 ABs from my understanding so it is really down to what fits in your setup more than anything else IMO. If you have room in your sump, the 400 is hard to beat. If you want to run it external and/or skim from the overflows, the AE265 is likley your better choice.
Well, skimming from the overflow is more efficient and it is what I had wanted to do. Is the 400 not an internal recirculating? Couldn't tell from the 2 pictures I saw. Is it intended to recirculate water inside the sump? That doesn't sound nearly as efficient, if so. But I do plan to have an in-sump skimmer for the 210G system and I do have plenty of room.

Would I have room/time to upgrade the pumps on the AE400 and still handle the 210G for a little while? I would probably upgrade one pump at a time as money comes in, if I were to go with that skimmer.

Bleedingthought
07-21-2007, 3:02 PM
Hahn lately has been referencing Qiuet One pumps as being the same manufacturer as the Sicce pumps. Looking at them, the valute on the Sicce's looks alot different, but then I've never taken the shroud off of a Quiet One. They are getting some good numbers out of mesh modded QO's too. Not sure if it woould be a direct bolt on replacement (most likey not), but they are much cheaper than the DAS's.

Thiago, if your looking for a skimmer, you might want to consider an EX series DAS. They are getting really good reviews and work right out of the box with no modding. The one thing I notice right off the bat on them is the larger neck size. The AE seem to be smaller, but if you like to mod, it may be the way to go. I think I'm going to start offing some extra equipment so I can buy the mother of all skimmers (well, maybe the step mother).

Big D
Big D, I was actually going to post in your thread to ask what skimmer you're currently using. :D

You got a link to that DAS EX? How much is it going for?

I'm not big into constantly modding/fiddling with things/equipment but I'm willing to mod something and then be able to forget about it. ;)

Also, what are you 'offing' from your stock pile? :)

Big D
07-21-2007, 3:17 PM
Big D, I was actually going to post in your thread to ask what skimmer you're currently using. :D

You got a link to that DAS EX? How much is it going for?

I'm not big into constantly modding/fiddling with things/equipment but I'm willing to mod something and then be able to forget about it. ;)

Also, what are you 'offing' from your stock pile? :)

I'm using an MR-2 powered by an Ocean Runner 6500. It does a great job, but I have to tweak it hear and there. The pump actually pushes the Beckett great, there was a question as to whether it would or not before I set my tank up. It only pulls around 100 watts or so, but in retrospec, I have set my entire system up to be efficient. Beckett skimmers are known for being everything but that. The skimmer I'm looking at is a monster, but it's a needlewheel and let's just say I wouldn't have to upgrade if I move up in tank size.

Here's a link to the DAS's at Petoroma:

Link (http://stores.petorama.net/Categories.bok?category=Aquarium+Supplies%3APumps% 2FFilters)<<<---

As far as what I'll have up for sale... it'll probably be quite a bit of stuff, including a new PS3 still sealed. :doh:

Big D

Cameron
07-21-2007, 8:10 PM
Is it $70 to ship it?I think it is about $50 or $60. $45 for the AE265, but often the price he is selling them at includes shipping. You will have to ask.

I've heard good things about the orca skimmers as well. Only thing you lost me on was that you said that the Orca 8.5" RC won't be as efficient as the AER265 (with ABs) but will perform as well or better? Do you mean it's not as energy efficient but will perform better nonetheless?I mean the AB pumps use less wattage to run than a single big H3 pump. The AB pumps are very effecient and are considered one of the top dawgs in the air to wattage measurements.

Hahn lately has been referencing Qiuet One pumps as being the same manufacturer as the Sicce pumps. Looking at them, the valute on the Sicce's looks alot different, but then I've never taken the shroud off of a Quiet One. They are getting some good numbers out of mesh modded QO's too. Not sure if it woould be a direct bolt on replacement (most likey not), but they are much cheaper than the DAS's. The jury is still out on the QO pumps, but the prelim numbers seem pretty good. They are still pushing a bit too much water to be as good as AB.

Thiago, if your looking for a skimmer, you might want to consider an EX series DAS. They are getting really good reviews and work right out of the box with no modding. The one thing I notice right off the bat on them is the larger neck size. The AE seem to be smaller, but if you like to mod, it may be the way to go. DAS skimmers are really good bang for the buck for sure, but shipping has been a big issue with these skimmers. You can pretty much count on zero warranty as people have been having problems with items replaced and the acrylic used in the DAS skimmers has been somewhat less than ideal. Course they are $400 and it includes two AB pumps with no work to get going.

The skimmer I'm looking at is a monster, but it's a needlewheel and let's just say I wouldn't have to upgrade if I move up in tank size.Let me guess... Orca with a sequence needlewheel.... I will drive down just to touch it if that is what you are getting.

Big D
07-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Let me guess... Orca with a sequence needlewheel.... I will drive down just to touch it if that is what you are getting.[/font]

Well, that's what I've been eyeing... but man they are $$$. Here's another twist in it too:

Link (http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103600)

David

Bleedingthought
07-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Well, that's what I've been eyeing... but man they are $$$. Here's another twist in it too:

Link (http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103600)

David
:)

Bleedingthought
07-21-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm using an MR-2 powered by an Ocean Runner 6500. It does a great job, but I have to tweak it hear and there. The pump actually pushes the Beckett great, there was a question as to whether it would or not before I set my tank up. It only pulls around 100 watts or so, but in retrospec, I have set my entire system up to be efficient. Beckett skimmers are known for being everything but that. The skimmer I'm looking at is a monster, but it's a needlewheel and let's just say I wouldn't have to upgrade if I move up in tank size.

Here's a link to the DAS's at Petoroma:

Link (http://stores.petorama.net/Categories.bok?category=Aquarium+Supplies%3APumps% 2FFilters)<<<---

As far as what I'll have up for sale... it'll probably be quite a bit of stuff, including a new PS3 still sealed. :doh:

Big D
Yeah, definitely going the needlewheel route! :) And I'm definitely not in interested in a PS3. ;) But I'd like to know what else is in that list!

Bleedingthought
07-21-2007, 11:10 PM
I mean the AB pumps use less wattage to run than a single big H3 pump. The AB pumps are very effecient and are considered one of the top dawgs in the air to wattage measurements.[/font]
Hmm, at the end of the run, I'd pick skimming performance over energy efficiency (well, to a certain extent, obviously! :D ).

It seems like the Orcas might be at the top of the list at this moment with the AE400 right behind it. :)

Bleedingthought
07-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Cameron, is the AE400 an internally recirculating skimmer like the AER265? It almost seems like (in the pictures) that the 3 pumps draw water from the sump. :?

Cameron
07-22-2007, 1:01 AM
Not recirc... they suck in that is why it is an insump only. People do mod them for recirc though, but that is some work.

Bleedingthought
07-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Too much work.