View Full Version : Hte night the lights went out in georgia

no1bubba
07-22-2010, 9:06 AM
The power issue came with mixed blessings. Because the power went out I had to take my Bubble Blaster out of the sump to re-start. In this process I had the fans shut down etc. Found my new BB had a split in the plastic housing around the pump and that 2 of the 3 screws had rusted and had broken the clear plastic plate around the pump. I got that fixed with the manufacturers with one e-mail and a picture. New one is on the way. In the process of taking the BB out of the sump I turned it the wrong way and it hit the glass baffle. Broke the glass in a perfect inverted "V" shape...don't ask!! I took some plexiglass and rested it against the "V" and held it there with a rock. (Put the plexiglass between the baffles and rock rested between the broken glass and the second baffle.)
After I had everything up and running I noticed the temp was 84. I also noted that some of my softies were looking a little wilted or not just right, some were closed completely. I put a zip lock bag of ice in the sump. Dropped 1 degree, ice was all melted. Put in a second bag and went to bed. When I woke up all of the lights that were on timers were all on............and my Red-eyed Hawk was dead on the floor.
Could the temperature rise been the reason that Red jumped tank?
Just feel like like a 2 legged star fish at the moment!! Isn't this hobby supposed to be fun and relaxing? Bubba

mapleredta
07-22-2010, 9:21 AM
The power issue came with mixed blessings. Because the power went out I had to take my Bubble Blaster out of the sump to re-start. In this process I had the fans shut down etc. Found my new BB had a split in the plastic housing around the pump and that 2 of the 3 screws had rusted and had broken the clear plastic plate around the pump. I got that fixed with the manufacturers with one e-mail and a picture. New one is on the way. In the process of taking the BB out of the sump I turned it the wrong way and it hit the glass baffle. Broke the glass in a perfect inverted "V" shape...don't ask!! I took some plexiglass and rested it against the "V" and held it there with a rock. (Put the plexiglass between the baffles and rock rested between the broken glass and the second baffle.)
After I had everything up and running I noticed the temp was 84. I also noted that some of my softies were looking a little wilted or not just right, some were closed completely. I put a zip lock bag of ice in the sump. Dropped 1 degree, ice was all melted. Put in a second bag and went to bed. When I woke up all of the lights that were on timers were all on............and my Red-eyed Hawk was dead on the floor.
Could the temperature rise been the reason that Red jumped tank?
Just feel like like a 2 legged star fish at the moment!! Isn't this hobby supposed to be fun and relaxing? Bubba
I don't know who lied to you. What other tank mates does the hawk have? Perhaps something may have been stressing it out and caused it to carpet surf.

gnashty
07-22-2010, 10:07 AM
yeah, 84 and I would have jumped out of bed myself.....could have been higher dependign on what time the lights kicked on while you were dreaming fishie little dreams...:D

I dont really ever just sit and enjoy my tank - everytime i look at it I want to tinker...

bratliff
07-22-2010, 10:46 AM
yeah, 84 and I would have jumped out of bed myself.....could have been higher dependign on what time the lights kicked on while you were dreaming fishie little dreams...:D

I dont really ever just sit and enjoy my tank - everytime i look at it I want to tinker...

84 is high and, as Gnashty said, that's just when you read the temp. Was tehre any flow in the tank? If not, your oxygen levels may have been depleted. Or, just everything coming on all at once added to the stress of the high temp + whatever else may have been going on could have caused him to commit suicide. I lost a clown for no discernible reason. He was the first fish I'd bought and I'd had him nearly two years, I was quite upset. I made sure to enclose the top of my tank. No more surfers!

And, I also agree. While I do sit and enjoy my tank, I can never stop myself from at the very least thinking about what needs doing next. But, that's the part I like the most. :) The tinkering!

no1bubba
07-22-2010, 5:47 PM
I had 3 korela's running, the bubble blaster and the gfo. The only thing that has changed is my extremely large nem just moved from his hiding place behind the toadstool to the front of the tank. He has completely covered the access to a cave. Could the hawk have got stung trying to swim into the cave, because the nem moved earlier yesterday.
Speaking of the nem moving....he is near a pineapple brain and 2 acans should I move them? I just went out to look at the tank and my new baby nem is completely up and gone. Is all this because of heat? Tank has been at 77- 78 all day. Have a great evening. Bubba

gnashty
07-22-2010, 6:03 PM
I had 3 korela's running, the bubble blaster and the gfo. The only thing that has changed is my extremely large nem just moved from his hiding place behind the toadstool to the front of the tank. He has completely covered the access to a cave. Could the hawk have got stung trying to swim into the cave, because the nem moved earlier yesterday.
Speaking of the nem moving....he is near a pineapple brain and 2 acans should I move them? I just went out to look at the tank and my new baby nem is completely up and gone. Is all this because of heat? Tank has been at 77- 78 all day. Have a great evening. Bubba

I would clear a path for the nem and nemproof the powerheads to be safe if they are on the move. Not sure about the hawk and the nem causing the apparent suicide..but without seeing your setup it would be hard to tell, anything can happen I suppose. Any trauma to the hawk at all that you could see?

IMHO its probably the 6-7 (possibly more) degree swing in temp (I assume this happened last night) in a short period of time that made em get out but ive havent had a fish jump out yet...:blush: