View Full Version : Help with ID

roundman
07-19-2010, 4:57 PM
Can some one ID these and tell me what is the best way to remove some from the rocks they are growing on. Have about 25.

Second pic is with the macro setting on my new camera.

Thanks

Smoothie
07-19-2010, 5:01 PM
They are nice hairy mushrooms. Almost look like yumas.
Best way would be to cut the off under their foot with a knife or screwdriver. Take a kittle rock off with it. If you leave any it will only come back. You can trade for some pretty good stuff with these

johnr2604
07-19-2010, 5:02 PM
Looks like a Rhodactis Muhroom. Just scrape the foot off the rock with a razor blade :up:

jmaneyapanda
07-19-2010, 5:03 PM
Rhodactis sp. Are you trying to re-home them, or kill them?

Slinky
07-19-2010, 5:13 PM
don't kill the poor animal...

JennM
07-19-2010, 5:49 PM
I'll trade those in, Ron :) We have some in Brian's 65 and they are just starting to prop, but people want 'em!

And yes, they are Rhodactis... nice ones too!

Jenn

roundman
07-19-2010, 6:57 PM
Re Home never kill animals.

weaglereefer
07-19-2010, 7:15 PM
Best way would be to chip below the foot and get a piece of the rock they're on, then put them on rock rubble and sell for $5 a pop. I'd buy some! Or sell the whole rock for $50 and go buy another piece of rock the same size/shape.

Skriz
07-19-2010, 8:56 PM
They are nice hairy mushrooms. Almost look like yumas.
Best way would be to cut the off under their foot with a knife or screwdriver. Take a kittle rock off with it. If you leave any it will only come back. You can trade for some pretty good stuff with these

+1

LMK if you're pruning and want to sell/trade them :up:

roundman
07-19-2010, 10:30 PM
I am going to thin them out once I figure out how to get them out without destroying my tank....LOL

Skriz I think trade for....hhmmm...let me see... can you say MR-1 JK

reefdiver
07-19-2010, 11:29 PM
I recieved a small bullseye mushroom on a zoe frag I bought about a year ago. It has already left about six smaller ones along the rock i transferred it to. I had to cut one off because it was over shadowing some zoes on a neighboring rock. I just cut it with a scapel, and moved it to a new location. I mistakening left a small piece on the rock, and it is starting to grow back again. Hardy little guys. Thanks to John at All Things Aquatic for the advice.