View Full Version : Salifert Mg Test?

texhorns98
07-14-2010, 5:17 PM
OK, so I finally broke down and purchased a Mg test. I figured Salifert was a good way to go, but had NO idea there would be so many components to the testing! :)

I followed the instructions to the letter (twice) and I'm running out of reagent before I get any color change. There's also around 2ml or air at the top of the reagent syringe. The instructions say a cushion of air is normal, but that much? I don't know...

If I'm not getting a reaction, what would be the cause? Is it possible my Mg levels are off the charts low? I can't imagine since I use SeaChem Reef Salt.

bdesper311
07-14-2010, 5:27 PM
following along... i have had the same problem!

cr500_af
07-14-2010, 5:38 PM
Mine has worked fine, and I've never had to use that much reagent (also w/Seachem salt). As for the the amount of dead space in the syringe, it's normal.

misu
07-14-2010, 5:55 PM
Mine was fine too, got it when I was overdosing to control algae and it worked ok

I was reading somewhere that if it's too old it stops working and too old can happen fairly fast since try changed the formula, google it for more details

tim8111
07-14-2010, 6:21 PM
Chances are your above 1500. There are steps on the instructions to go above 1500. If you refill the syringe and keep adding until you get the color change. And there should be a .2 ml gap for the liquid in the tip.

If you think this test has a lot of stuff, try the elos. It is 4 times harder.

You can bring the kit and a sample of water in and I can go over it with you if you want.

Tim

tgray3
07-14-2010, 6:45 PM
Been using the Salifert kit for a while now and it works good for me. If your worried about the air then fill the syringe up before you put the tip on, then put the tip on, expel the air from it and re fill it. I tried the Elos and the Seachem kits and IMO they both have more steps than the Salifert. I did get the same results from all 3 of the kits though so for me the brand choice came down to personal preference.

haninja
07-14-2010, 7:02 PM
Been using the Salifert kit for a while now and it works good for me. If your worried about the air then fill the syringe up before you put the tip on, then put the tip on, expel the air from it and re fill it.

That will skew the results. You need to leave the air in there...

cr500_af
07-14-2010, 8:41 PM
That will skew the results. You need to leave the air in there...

+1. The amount of air in the syringe when filled will still be there after all of the liquid is expelled. The syringe markings compensate for this.

JAustin
07-14-2010, 9:11 PM
Follow the instructions, no need to try and compensate for the air gap. Just put the tip of the syringe in the fluid and fill it up to 1ml. Ignore the amount of air.

If you have been dosing mag and not testing you probably have too much. Regular water changes with a good salt will almost give you all the mg you need....almost depending on load.

HTH
Jason

texhorns98
07-14-2010, 9:40 PM
Thanks for the tip on the air gap. I'll have to go back and look for directions for levels above 1500 right now.

texhorns98
07-14-2010, 9:42 PM
Follow the instructions, no need to try and compensate for the air gap. Just put the tip of the syringe in the fluid and fill it up to 1ml. Ignore the amount of air.

If you have been dosing mag and not testing you probably have too much. Regular water changes with a good salt will almost give you all the mg you need....almost depending on load.

HTH
Jason

I was dosing TechM for bryopsis, but that was a few weeks (a more than 50% WC) ago.

JAustin
07-14-2010, 9:45 PM
I wouldn't bother testing above 1500.....just let it come down. If your having problems with corals dying than you may need to perform some water changes but if not. Just don't dost mg for a while. test it weekly.

Acroholic
07-15-2010, 2:11 AM
The tip you put on the syringe makes up for the air gap. You are actually pulling 1cc volume. The .2 ml Tim mentioned is the volume of the plastic tip.

If you are using more than 1cc reagant, refill the syringe and continue to add drop by drop until you get the color change, then find the mag level from the chart and add 1500 to that figure. That gives you the total mag level.

texhorns98
07-15-2010, 2:21 AM
The tip you put on the syringe makes up for the air gap. You are actually pulling 1cc volume. The .2 ml Tim mentioned is the volume of the plastic tip.

If you are using more than 1cc reagant, refill the syringe and continue to add drop by drop until you get the color change, then find the mag level from the chart and add 1500 to that figure. That gives you the total mag level.

Thanks Dave. I haven't dosed anything for mag in almost three weeks and have done probably close to a 50% WC since I did (when I had the whole temp issue). I have noticed my monti starting to bleach out a little on the edges though.

I'll test again tomorrow to see what my levels are, but I know I finally was able to get a color change with an at MOST an additional .2ml of reagent. I thought I was going to make up for the air space on my second test and ended just squirting the whole amount in there in frustration!

texhorns98
07-15-2010, 2:24 AM
Chances are your above 1500. There are steps on the instructions to go above 1500. If you refill the syringe and keep adding until you get the color change. And there should be a .2 ml gap for the liquid in the tip.

If you think this test has a lot of stuff, try the elos. It is 4 times harder.

You can bring the kit and a sample of water in and I can go over it with you if you want.

Tim

Thanks Tim! The frag rack I picked up today looks SO much better than my old egg crate one too! :thumbs: