View Full Version : Nanno Algae Experiments

courterbobby
07-14-2010, 1:30 AM
So I decided to set up some bottle of nanno algae to experiment with growing techniques. My controls are under fresh water florescent lighting.
The reason for this experiment is I can get the aglea to grow, but never a dark green color.
First one, I have setting in a window seal getting natural sunlight. Seems to be doing ok, but not a big difference from the controls.
The second one, is the one I am seeing results in, but I am weary of using it for some reason. I have been adding a drop of Miracle Grow Liquid Plant Food over the past 3 days, and the algae is already about as green as it would be at day 6 in the controls. My question is, is it safe to feed this to rotifers then rotifers to fry?

Smoothie
07-14-2010, 1:34 AM
Are you talking about growing phyto?

courterbobby
07-14-2010, 1:37 AM
Yes phyto. Nannochloropsis to be exact

Smoothie
07-14-2010, 1:40 AM
Then yes, but use very little of it
http://www.melevsreef.com/phytoplankton.html

courterbobby
07-14-2010, 1:44 AM
sweet smoothie! Thanks. I actually came up with the idea out of the blue one day. Walked past this bottle I never used and was like if plants eat it, why not phyto too? Arn't they plants? Thanks for the link!

Smoothie
07-14-2010, 1:52 AM
Great thinking.
Glad you like it. I lose myself on that site sometimes. Good stuff.

bobz
07-14-2010, 6:25 AM
i used miracle grow when i was growing phyto for my rotifers as well. It worked well for me. I eventually switched over to the instant algaes because it was way too much work to keep everything going! good luck!
bz

jamescook
07-14-2010, 9:00 AM
this is the fert you want
https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/agora.cgi?cart_id=1812142.2780*Vy7Xa5&product=MICRO_MACRO_NUTRIENTS

misu
07-14-2010, 9:04 AM
I have some F/2 if you need some

i used miracle grow when i was growing phyto for my rotifers as well. It worked well for me. I eventually switched over to the instant algaes because it was way too much work to keep everything going! good luck!
bz

And I followed your advice and switched to that too long time ago :)

courterbobby
07-14-2010, 3:24 PM
Haha if I ever get my own breed pair, I will probably switch to instant too, but for right now I don't so I am trying to grow to store it. I added 5ml of miracle grow to my "miracle grow bottle" last night and this morning it looks like a freakin algae bloom! I was looking at F/2 and what does it have that miracle grow dosen't have? I do know it is specifically formulated for this, but why pay extra for something if it does the same thing? IDK

jamescook
07-14-2010, 4:59 PM
it's not the same thing, and it has vitamins etc. to make a more nutritious algae. It will take several days for the algae to work the MG. don't give it to rotis too soon and never in the larval water til it's consumed the fert