View Full Version : what makes the pulsing Xenia PULSE?

LilRobb
07-12-2010, 7:54 PM
So I traded a fairly large colony of Xenia for one of my dry rocks. In the donor's tank the Xenia was wide open and pulsing nicely about every 3 seconds.
I transferred the rock into my sump and while now fully open for 2+ weeks - absolutely ZERO pulsing motion.
I can't wrap my mind around why!

A noob explanation would be that the donor's tank is having much better water and less nutrient causing the Xenia to pulse for maximum water exposure.
My water being a lot "dirtier" would allow it to get its nutrients without any movement and therefor 'savin' some energy...

Thoughts?

atmercure
07-12-2010, 7:59 PM
While on the discussion of this, how do you get rid of some. Mine is taking over. I can get it off the overflow but unsure about removing it from live rock. Any ideas?

johnr2604
07-12-2010, 8:06 PM
Too much flow? It seems to pulse more in lower flow

LilRobb
07-12-2010, 8:10 PM
About the same, sump isn't very high flow...

moebious
07-12-2010, 8:23 PM
My xenia doesn't do much most of the time but when i turn the pump off during feeding it starts to pulse a lot more.

ruscar
07-12-2010, 8:34 PM
how do you get rid of some. Mine is taking over.
+1 I can cut it off the rock, but, any rim-nets left soon regrows.
As to why or what causes them to pulse, from everything I have read, no one really knows.

brianjfinn
07-12-2010, 8:43 PM
Scientists are unsure exactly why Xenia pulses, but the most prominent theory is that they are doing it for gas exchange related to waste expulsion.

To those asking about getting rid of it, try starting another thread, not jacking someone else's. But, to answer that as well, you can pull Xenia off of pretty much anything, but you'll never get rid of all of it unless you nuke it with Joe's Juice or Kalk Paste. I'm having the same problem and just haven't taken the time to do it.

tgray3
07-12-2010, 8:45 PM
I've always heard that no one really knows why although some speculate that the the pumping may be a way of expelling waste and/or feeding. I've also read some people think the amount of pulsing is related to the tanks ALK levels. All I know is that when i put it in my tank it to about 4 months for it to start. The pulsing doesn't seem to change on it regardless of the flow either, although it's hard to see it pulse when it's getting blasted by a K3. Maybe just let it be for a few weeks/months and see what happens.

brianjfinn
07-12-2010, 8:50 PM
I've always heard that no one really knows why although some speculate that the the pumping may be a way of expelling waste and/or feeding. I've also read some people think the amount of pulsing is related to the tanks ALK levels. All I know is that when i put it in my tank it to about 4 months for it to start. The pulsing doesn't seem to change on it regardless of the flow either, although it's hard to see it pulse when it's getting blasted by a K3. Maybe just let it be for a few weeks/months and see what happens.

Yeah, this is dead on from what I've read. Although IME I haven't noticed a correlation to the ALK levels. I do think the lack of pulsing has to do with stress, however. It doesn't mean they're in danger, necessarily, but probably just a little unhappy from the move.

atmercure
07-12-2010, 8:53 PM
not trying to jack the mans thread. didnt know it got that personal. was actually gonna post and saw the discussion on it. mine pulses like crazy and grows all over too. give some away if i can remove it. i gotta a garden of the stuff

Smoothie
07-12-2010, 8:53 PM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-02/ac/feature/index.php

Smallblock
07-12-2010, 8:58 PM
While on the discussion of this, how do you get rid of some. Mine is taking over. I can get it off the overflow but unsure about removing it from live rock. Any ideas?

Chocolate starfish like to eat em

myVWrock
07-12-2010, 8:58 PM
Any body want to give me some .....

brianjfinn
07-12-2010, 9:02 PM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-02/ac/feature/index.php

I had not seen that article. Very nice!

misu
07-12-2010, 9:26 PM
in full current it seems like it's not pulsing that much and polyps are starting to shrink, not expanding much either.

I was reading here it's ph that's related to the pulsation too

Akopley
07-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Scientists are unsure exactly why Xenia pulses, but the most prominent theory is that they are doing it for gas exchange related to waste expulsion.

To those asking about getting rid of it, try starting another thread, not jacking someone else's. But, to answer that as well, you can pull Xenia off of pretty much anything, but you'll never get rid of all of it unless you nuke it with Joe's Juice or Kalk Paste. I'm having the same problem and just haven't taken the time to do it.

This isn't RC, no need to snap on someone who is new to the boards. Try a PM if it really bothers you that much. Go stare at your tank for 30 minutes and chill out.

To remove xenia from a rock you have to get every bit of it or it will just grow back. In my experience if you take pliers and literally remove the chunk of the rock the xenia is attached to it will not grow back. The rock in our tanks are typically porous and pieces will break off easily.

atmercure
07-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Ha. No doubt. Add a brew for that matter.

Thanks for the info