View Full Version : is it possible..?

AndyMan
07-09-2010, 8:53 PM
I know I can run a calcium reactor as a denitrator

BUT... if I run aragonite on the bottom rather than the top of the sulphur media, can I effectively "double-duty" the reactor so it accomplishes both denitrification AND calcium reactor at the same time?

weaglereefer
07-09-2010, 8:56 PM
Will the pH in there get low enough to dissolve the calcium media? If you introduce CO2, is there a downside with the sulfur media?

The whole point of the sulfur media is to build a colony of denitrifying bacteria, and I just wonder if the right bacteria are formed when the pH is 6.6-6.8...

BTW, you think that reactor is big enough for my tank? lol

AndyMan
07-09-2010, 8:58 PM
I'm wndering what a 500 size reactor is gonna do to my 75

AndyMan
07-09-2010, 9:00 PM
I know I can probably "T" off the secondary aragonite bucket to buffer everything back up if I have to run 2 separate reactors, never played with denitrification before so I'm flying blind on this one

weaglereefer
07-09-2010, 9:02 PM
Well I think the main thing with the denitrifiers is you only run them when needed and take them offline occasionally.

Also, don't you need a way to vent gasses that build up in a denitrifier?

grouper therapy
07-09-2010, 9:04 PM
The sulfur denitrator is designed to create anaerobic bacteria so the introduction of co will not work for the denitrator and of course without the co2 the ph doesn't drop enough to efficiently dissolve the argonite media.

grouper therapy
07-09-2010, 9:05 PM
Well I think the main thing with the denitrifiers is you only run them when needed and take them offline occasionally.

Also, don't you need a way to vent gasses that build up in a denitrifier?

you can take them offline if you like but they can be run 24/7 and yes you do have to gas them off.

AndyMan
07-09-2010, 9:06 PM

Also, don't you need a way to vent gasses that build up in a denitrifier?dunno about having to take them offline every now and again, as long as they're not clogged whats wrong with having a nutrient poor environment?

Venting gasses is exactly the same for CA reactors as well, they both create acidic water when exiting the reactor(s)

hmmmmm

AndyMan
07-09-2010, 9:07 PM
The sulfur denitrator is designed to create anaerobic bacteria so the introduction of co will not work for the denitrator and of course without the co2 the ph doesn't drop enough to efficiently dissolve the argonite media.dang, was hoping I'd be able to save some counter space... hey, worth asking even if it's not a go

Thanks Grouper

Skriz
07-09-2010, 9:11 PM
You can use the acidic solution in a sulfur denitrator to dissolve aragonite. But, as the nitrates drop, so does the acidity, thus effectively shutting down your "calcium reactor".

AndyMan
07-09-2010, 9:27 PM
You can use the acidic solution in a sulfur denitrator to dissolve aragonite. But, as the nitrates drop, so does the acidity, thus effectively shutting down your "calcium reactor".
If I read your statement right Raj, if I add aragonite to a denitrifier, it's gonna be a useless denitrator sooner or later

so I'm better off just T ing the output of CA reactor and Denitrator thru the same aragonite buffer canister... so do I need to use a much larger aragonite buffering canister on can my regular small canister buffer enough (it's a DIY made out of an RO can)

REMEMBER, I've only got a 75G tank

Smallblock
07-09-2010, 9:32 PM
I'm still waiting on a perpectual motion machine by you three

grouper therapy
07-09-2010, 9:32 PM

I thought about running my denitrator effluent through the calcium reactor but could never get the two drip rates close. I decided the ph was not low enough to significantly reduce the amount of co2 I would use in the calcium reactor so it wasn't worth the effort. I removed the argonite media from my denitrator and never really experienced any change in the pH level of the effluent. I did not see any significant buffering of the effluent but my reactor was working pretty hard to keep up with the bio load so it was probably not enough dwell time to help.

grouper therapy
07-09-2010, 9:36 PM
I'm not sure why people would get the nitrates down and then take it offline. You can leave your denitrator running all the time to help "maintain" your nitrate levels. That would be like adding a skimmer to reduce nitrates and take it offline when the levels dropped.:confused2:

grouper therapy
07-09-2010, 9:37 PM
I'm still waiting on a perpectual motion machine by you three

I'd put my money on a perpetual sarcasm machine if I was you!!:thumbs::)

Smallblock
07-09-2010, 9:39 PM
lol yeah it seems to be woven in the souls of most here

AndyMan
07-09-2010, 9:45 PM
BAH.. well, I though it was a good idea anyways

Assault
07-09-2010, 10:11 PM
BAH.. well, I though it was a good idea anyways

most good ideas, are bad ideas with a little more thought and planning.

AndyMan
07-09-2010, 10:15 PM
most good ideas, are bad ideas with a little more thought and planning.Oh I'm full of bad ideas :yay:

mikesommers
07-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I'd put my money on a perpetual sarcasm machine if I was you!!:thumbs::)

:lol2:

ichthyoid
07-09-2010, 10:34 PM
most good ideas, are bad ideas with a little more thought and planning.

+2

Skriz
07-09-2010, 11:49 PM
I thought about running my denitrator effluent through the calcium reactor but could never get the two drip rates close. I decided the ph was not low enough to significantly reduce the amount of co2 I would use in the calcium reactor so it wasn't worth the effort. I removed the argonite media from my denitrator and never really experienced any change in the pH level of the effluent. I did not see any significant buffering of the effluent but my reactor was working pretty hard to keep up with the bio load so it was probably not enough dwell time to help.

Therein lies the problem..you need higher nitrates~increase your trates and it should work out just fine :)