View Full Version : Walmart/Culligan water -$.37/gallon?

moebious
07-06-2010, 11:50 PM
In the Walmart in Winder there is a water machine dispensing a gallon of water for $.37.
The display says it has carbon filtration, reverse osmosis, and uv sterilization. The question remains, can it be trusted?
Can someone with a TDS meter buy some and test this for me?
Wallyworld also sells gallon jugs of distilled water for $.83, which i am inclined to buy for the moment.

Before anybody says,"just buy your own RO/DI", Right now i only need two gallons a month not including topoff. When i get my 55gallon running i will only need 17 gallons/month. RO/DI is not worth the headache.

tdam
07-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Seems kinda pricey though. My fish store sells 5 gallons of RO water for only $1.25.

Smoothie
07-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Seems kinda pricey though. My fish store sells 5 gallons of RO water for only $1.25.
The machine outside of most grocerie stores is the same.
No comparison to waking up in your boxers and just flipping an RODI on to make your top off and salt mix water. Great for anytime emergencies too

moebious
07-07-2010, 12:15 AM
I did not know LFS sold RO/DI. Of course i never asked either.:doh:

Smoothie
07-07-2010, 12:23 AM
I did not know LFS sold RO/DI. Of course i never asked either.:doh:
Check the sponsor thread on here. Air, water and ice does.
Others have them in stock or can get them quickly. Pm them for size, brand and price

moebious
07-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Check the sponsor thread on here. Air, water and ice does.
Others have them in stock or can get them quickly. Pm them for size, brand and priceOh, I was talking about the water itself, sorry.
But , do you really think it is worth spending $120 on the device when I only need 17 gallons/month?

Smoothie
07-07-2010, 12:37 AM
For convenience oh heck yes. Unless the machine can be brought to you when you do not feel like leaving the house or have an emergency at 1am you have to tend to that requires water.
I thought the same way until I was given one in a trade. Then I bought a better one. Now I have 3 between my home and the restaurant for tanks only. Sooooo nice

weaglereefer
07-07-2010, 12:47 AM
How are you only needing 17g a month for a 55? Figure 10% water changes every other week (11g) so you're only topping off a fraction of a gallon per day?

tdam
07-07-2010, 12:50 AM
I know alot of people recommend buying a unit. But i kinda see where the op is coming from. He can always buy extra water and store it in his garage for emergencies. I personally like buying water from my lfs bc it gives my an excuse to go "window shopping" every time.

moebious
07-07-2010, 12:56 AM
How are you only needing 17g a month for a 55? Figure 10% water changes every other week (11g) so you're only topping off a fraction of a gallon per day?I have a 12 gallon nano, 55 gallon tank and a 20 gallon sump.
Tank volume minus rocks and the sump won't be filled all the way so roughly 85 gallons total volume.
85 x .2 = 17

moebious
07-07-2010, 1:00 AM
I wasn't including the topoff because its not a fixed amount that i need at one time. I just keep an extra gallon by the tank ready to go. I have no idea how much i'm using.

Smoothie
07-07-2010, 1:23 AM
tdam has a point, but on your last point what if you have a leak? Have you factored in gas and what your time is worth?
I did the same thing until I came across one. Never again.

moebious
07-07-2010, 1:51 AM
Smoothie, you have a very valid point. I'm not disagreeing with you, but i am blessed with a 24 hour Wallyworld 5 miles away.:yes:

I would buy one for sure if i had a very large tank, absolutely.

Smoothie
07-07-2010, 2:08 AM
Sorry in the long run I just think of it as you not enjoying the hobby as much

spacepony
07-07-2010, 6:38 AM
^ I completely disagree. Enjoyment of the hobby is not based on owning this equipment. An RO/DI is a convenience at this moment, although you could probably do the cost analysis of when the unit would pay for itself based on 17 g /mo at 38 cents...

And back on topic, take a gallon to your LFS - they're most likely gonna have a handheld TDS meter to check it for ya. (And then you can ask if they sell cheaper!)

Enjoy!

mapleredta
07-07-2010, 8:33 AM
^ I completely disagree. Enjoyment of the hobby is not based on owning this equipment. An RO/DI is a convenience at this moment, although you could probably do the cost analysis of when the unit would pay for itself based on 17 g /mo at 38 cents...

And back on topic, take a gallon to your LFS - they're most likely gonna have a handheld TDS meter to check it for ya. (And then you can ask if they sell cheaper!)

Enjoy!
An rodi unit is a necessity in this hobby, imo.

jmaneyapanda
07-07-2010, 8:57 AM

Enjoy!

Enjoyment of the hobby is based on a million different factors. Disenjoyment of the hobby usually falls into a few majors categories. Disease, money, and maintenance. How many people do you think got "out of the hobby" because they could stand the hair algae? ALOT. Making maintenance easier is a HUGE step for not disenjoying this hobby.

Also, FWIW, there are well known horror stories about these water vending machine. The units only perform as well as the filters within, and when the filters are not maintained, expect a sufferage in water quality. DEFINITELY test TDS if you plan to use it.

Just my 2 cents.

brianjfinn
07-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Enjoyment of the hobby is based on a million different factors. Disenjoyment of the hobby usually falls into a few majors categories. Disease, money, and maintenance. How many people do you think got "out of the hobby" because they could stand the hair algae? ALOT. Making maintenance easier is a HUGE step for not disenjoying this hobby.

Also, FWIW, there are well known horror stories about these water vending machine. The units only perform as well as the filters within, and when the filters are not maintained, expect a sufferage in water quality. DEFINITELY test TDS if you plan to use it.

Just my 2 cents.

This is absolutely true. I almost got out because I was tired of dealing with Xenia overtaking everything and also because I was tired of going to the store and buying the gallon jugs. Give it another five long years and see if you don't want to buy a RODI.

I've also heard that these water companies are notorious for not maintaining their machines, so you definitely have to do a full test on the water. Not just TDS, but Nitrates, and I'd even test for Ammonia and Chlorine.

IVEgotCRABS
07-07-2010, 10:41 AM
is distilled water the same as ro water

brianjfinn
07-07-2010, 10:45 AM
No. Distillation is a process of boiling a liquid and then collecting the steam. Reverse Osmosis is a filtration technique.

Mockery
07-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Just my 2 cents.

I truly believe this. First time in forever I don't have a job in the summer so I can't buy anything new for my tank. Stinks but oh well I'll just watch stuff grow.

hhughes
07-07-2010, 12:38 PM
FWIW....

I used the "tap water purifier" for 4 or 5 years when I had my 20g in college. It worked great, and was only $40ish. YMMV depending on the quality of your tap water.

I have a 55 and bought a RO/DI for about $100 (Coralife). I would never make it if I had to buy water weekly, there aren't enough LFS close to me... it's 30 min to the closest one if the Atlanta Traffic Gods are feeling benevolent.

I wouldn't feel safe with the grocery store/walmart ones because as people have pointed out, the question is whether they are changing that filter like they ought to. Having been in retail long enough to get good and misanthropic, I'm betting they don't.

MorganAtlanta
07-07-2010, 5:17 PM
I recently got the API Tap Water DI Filter for around $40. It seems to take the phosphates out of the City of Atlanta tap water, which was my big concern. I don't have a TDS meter, so I can't tell how much of other things it out. I've been thinking of taking a sample to a LFS to have it tested. In terms of production, it does 10 gallons per hour, which is way more than most inexpensive RO units, so it doesn't take long to make up a batch of water for a change or a couple weeks worth of evaporation. It is small and takes less than a minute to hook to a sink faucet. For small tanks, assuming it does the filtering job it advertises, I think it is a great alternative to a more expensive and complicated RO unit, and much easier than having to go buy water. The estimated lifetime of the filter module is 50-150 gallons. My experience so far is that I'm headed towards 150 gallons. A replacement cartridge is around $20.

Assault
07-07-2010, 5:37 PM
remember too, RO units have rejection rates, the rejection rate for making salt water is higher than the rejection rate needed for drinking water, so water from a decent RO unit is more pure than most drinking water. There is also one of the most important factors you get from owning your own RODI unit and that is stability. You can top off automatically, control water purity, salinity, mix any amount of water needed, bail out your fellow reefers, and more. Almost every one serious about this hobby, will have a RODI unit it's plain common sense.

If you go through the threads, the people having problems with their tanks are the people taking the shortcuts. It's one thing to save a few bucks if you can, but never at the expense of your livestock.

Corigan
07-07-2010, 6:42 PM
This is absolutely true. I almost got out because I was tired of dealing with Xenia overtaking everything and also because I was tired of going to the store and buying the gallon jugs. Give it another five long years and see if you don't want to buy a RODI.I had an RO explode and flood a basement so I started toting water. I then found out the pressure on my house was too much, got a regulator installed and bought an RO/DI unit. Best thing I ever did. I remember days when I was sick with the flu and I had to get up to go to the store to get top-off water, pain in the rear. I toted water for 2 years, what a pain. I have saved so much time and money since I got my RO/DI that I love it and wouldn't run a reef tank without one. I get home from work, instead of wasting an hr of time to go get water I just flick on the RO/DI, watch some tv and come back 30 minutes later, it's sweet.