View Full Version : Woohoo, my snowcasso laying eggs

thanhreef
07-04-2010, 7:33 AM
Last night, my RBTA had the weird shape and I thought it would be splitted. After I took a closer look, I was greeted by the site of hundred of the little eyes just behind RBTA. It was coolest that I have ever seen.

http://gi101.photobucket.com/groups/m61/FI8FIV3S1V/DSC01221.jpg

http://gi101.photobucket.com/groups/m61/FI8FIV3S1V/DSC01212.jpg

http://gi101.photobucket.com/groups/m61/FI8FIV3S1V/DSC01206.jpg

http://gi101.photobucket.com/groups/m61/FI8FIV3S1V/DSC01202.jpg

Mobile phone video:
VIDEO0078.mp4 video by snowcasso - Photobucket Groups

Budsreef
07-04-2010, 8:01 AM
That's very cool!

JennM
07-04-2010, 10:16 AM
From the colour I'd say they are a few days along too.

Jenn

courterbobby
07-04-2010, 3:07 PM
Sweet. If you plan on raising the fry, put me down for one! My female picasso just went missing

jead85
07-04-2010, 4:08 PM
As I said on reef2reef I'd love to have one

tqpolo
07-05-2010, 11:56 PM
I want a pair too if you're raising them.

thanhreef
07-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't think I am ready for it so I would probably pass this time

jead85
07-06-2010, 11:00 AM
whatcha going to do wiht the eggs?

thanhreef
07-06-2010, 11:04 AM
they're on the rock. I need to know how to remove them from rock otherwise they would be eaten

jead85
07-06-2010, 12:26 PM
I hope someone knows. They are some pricey eggs

JJ Ocean
07-06-2010, 2:09 PM
When theyíre on live rock that you canít or donít want to remove. You use the bowl scoop method (safest for the fry, but most time consuming) or a larvae collector. Iíve always used the bowl scoop method, but Iím in the process of building a larvae collector to save time in the future. Right before the lights go out the night of the hatch, cut the filter/pumps off and 30m to 2 hours later theyíll hatch. Then use your method of choice Ö advanced (collector) or primitive (bowl & flash light). Remember to turn your pumps back on when youíre done!

Is this the pairs first eggs? If so, you may want to wait a couple spawns Ö the egg quality and quantity go up over the first couple of spawns.

-John

thanhreef
07-06-2010, 3:02 PM
When theyíre on live rock that you canít or donít want to remove. You use the bowl scoop method (safest for the fry, but most time consuming) or a larvae collector. Iíve always used the bowl scoop method, but Iím in the process of building a larvae collector to save time in the future. Right before the lights go out the night of the hatch, cut the filter/pumps off and 30m to 2 hours later theyíll hatch. Then use your method of choice Ö advanced (collector) or primitive (bowl & flash light). Remember to turn your pumps back on when youíre done!

Is this the pairs first eggs? If so, you may want to wait a couple spawns Ö the egg quality and quantity go up over the first couple of spawns.

-John

Thank you very much for the info. I don't know whether it is the first time or not. I have seen them in there for a few months. There is another pair of snowcasso in tank too. Hopefully, they would lay eggs too :)

jead85
07-08-2010, 10:08 AM
keep us updated!

thanhreef
07-08-2010, 10:22 AM
keep us updated!

I decided I am going to raise them. I am going to move the whole rock this weekend. It would be fun to watch how they grow.

thanks,

Budsreef
07-08-2010, 10:57 AM
It is exciting to raise these guys but it takes a lot of patience and can be frustrating. While it may work, taking the rock out and putting it somewhere else, unless you know when they are going to hatch and do it just before they do you could end up losing this whole batch and disrupting the pair from laying for a while.

I agree with John, since you aren't sure when they started laying, it may be beneficial to let a couple of hatches go so they get into a pattern that you can anticipate and react to and give them time to build up their nesting skills. I prefer to catch the larvae right after they hatch so they are under the adults care right up to that point. I use a larva trap and John uses a flashlight and scoops them out and both methods work very well.

Also this will give you time to learn some of the basics of rearing these guys, get the tools you'll need, and start your phyto and rotifer cultures. If you don't already have it, get a copy of Joyce Wilkerson's book on Clownfish. It is very helpful with lots of great information and tips on rearing clowns.

If you already have experience doing all this then go for it. If you don't have the experience but still want to try with this batch then all of us that have gone through it will still be happy to help all we can. Good luck and please don't be afraid to ask questions either in the thread or via PM. If you just want to talk about some of this let me know and I'll PM my number.

thanhreef
07-08-2010, 11:58 AM
It is exciting to raise these guys but it takes a lot of patience and can be frustrating. While it may work, taking the rock out and putting it somewhere else, unless you know when they are going to hatch and do it just before they do you could end up losing this whole batch and disrupting the pair from laying for a while.

I agree with John, since you aren't sure when they started laying, it may be beneficial to let a couple of hatches go so they get into a pattern that you can anticipate and react to and give them time to build up their nesting skills. I prefer to catch the larvae right after they hatch so they are under the adults care right up to that point. I use a larva trap and John uses a flashlight and scoops them out and both methods work very well.

Also this will give you time to learn some of the basics of rearing these guys, get the tools you'll need, and start your phyto and rotifer cultures. If you don't already have it, get a copy of Joyce Wilkerson's book on Clownfish. It is very helpful with lots of great information and tips on rearing clowns.

If you already have experience doing all this then go for it. If you don't have the experience but still want to try with this batch then all of us that have gone through it will still be happy to help all we can. Good luck and please don't be afraid to ask questions either in the thread or via PM. If you just want to talk about some of this let me know and I'll PM my number.

thank you very much, Bud.

I don't think I can remove the rock. it is big and at the bottom of the tank. I am going to use airline hose method. I have two pair of snowscassos. I would expect them to lay eggs soon. It is new to me. It will be hard for first time. Maybe the first of few tries would not be successfully. But we have a great ARC website and many experts in the group. I will post if there are any questions.

thanks,
-thanh

thanhreef
07-08-2010, 12:09 PM
I noticed that each egg has a silver color so it's time for hatching. When the lights go out tonight, I am going to remove the clownfish fry from the DT and put them into the fry tank.

jamescook
07-08-2010, 4:46 PM
good luck! hope you've got the rotifers and algae already. it doesn't work without them, I've tried.

thanhreef
07-08-2010, 8:14 PM
I got home from work. All eggs were gone. I think they were eaten. I saw Green Mandarin right there. Oh well, I am ready for the next time.

CockyBrock
08-11-2010, 3:08 PM
Bummer....definitely next time!

BonesReef
08-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Congrats on the fish! how old are they? any updates?

thanhreef
08-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Congrats on the fish! how old are they? any updates?
They are about 1.5 years old. They did lay eggs again 4 days ago

CockyBrock
10-31-2010, 12:16 AM
Any success getting the fry out?

CockyBrock
10-31-2010, 12:16 AM
Also, interested in selling the spawning pair?

thanhreef
10-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Any success getting the fry out?

Unfortunately, I could not get them out. Clowns still kept eating eggs