View Full Version : Tank swap problem...

reeferJ
07-03-2010, 1:18 AM
So its 2am, Im just now getting to the point of filling the new tank. Transfer of livestock went well, plumbing not too bad, everything is looking good.... but then I notice as more and more water is put into the new tank, the level from front to back seems to get worse. I think the weight has caused my floor to give a bit. Everythig was level before water? Its only 105g so its not really a ton of weight but there is about a 1/4" diff from back to front. And I made the stand a little taller than normal. Im frakin out that this thing is gonna tip. The plan is to drain the tank down, and get into the crawl space and put up a few 4x4's for extra support. But my real ? is, will powerheads pointed to the top of tank be enough for gas exchange/oxygen to keep everything alive over night without running my overflow/sump/fuge/skimmer?

cr500_af
07-03-2010, 1:21 AM
I think that will be fine, especially considering the short duration... remember, there was a time when the standard SW aquarium had no sump, skimmer, or fuge.
I'd probably toss an airstone in there if you have one, but if not I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
After all, fish survive overnight shipping sealed in bags with 8 oz of water and zero gas exchange or oxygenation.

reeferJ
07-03-2010, 2:01 AM
Good point Barry.

coolsurf
07-03-2010, 7:44 AM
You'll be fine. The part I would worry most about is the support which sounds like you have covered. GL

Budsreef
07-03-2010, 7:52 AM
What kind of flooring is the tank sitting on? If it is wood, check the level of it before trying to add any support since the stands will have some give and could be the cause of the level problem. If it is carpet, then it may just be settling uneven on the carpet and padding. especially if the tank is against the wall which would be the norm. You may just need to put some shims under the stand which is something almost everyone does.

mikesommers
07-03-2010, 9:42 AM
So its 2am, Im just now getting to the point of filling the new tank. Transfer of livestock went well, plumbing not too bad, everything is looking good.... but then I notice as more and more water is put into the new tank, the level from front to back seems to get worse. I think the weight has caused my floor to give a bit. Everythig was level before water? Its only 105g so its not really a ton of weight but there is about a 1/4" diff from back to front. And I made the stand a little taller than normal. Im frakin out that this thing is gonna tip. The plan is to drain the tank down, and get into the crawl space and put up a few 4x4's for extra support. But my real ? is, will powerheads pointed to the top of tank be enough for gas exchange/oxygen to keep everything alive over night without running my overflow/sump/fuge/skimmer?

Im on a crawl space. I used adjustable steel jacks sitting on I think 2" flat cinder blocks (all was purchased at Home Depot). This allows me to keep the supports tight. I will use this same setup when I do my final upgrade. That will end up at around 200 or more gallons of total water. I looked at 4x4's the jacks were just a little more and will last forever. Not to mention they adjust. I also agree with budsreef check the stand.

gnashty
07-03-2010, 11:12 AM
105 gal could weight up to 1,000 lbs with rock, equip etc...so thats a 1/2 ton of holy crap on one spot....as long as you support it properly you shouldnt have much problem..

brianjfinn
07-03-2010, 11:41 AM
+1 on the carpet. My 20 gallon tank used to be on carpet and there was about a 1/4" level difference from front to back until I fixed it. I actually just lined the front of the stand with those adhesive felt chair leg pads.

reeferJ
07-03-2010, 5:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I shimmed up front of the stand and everything looks good.

texhorns98
07-03-2010, 5:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I shimmed up front of the stand and everything looks good.

Let's see some pics, man!!

reeferJ
07-04-2010, 1:53 AM
gotta em coming...

grouper therapy
07-04-2010, 7:58 AM

I've helped people setup a few and a lot of times on carpet floors the tank is set right against the baseboard . This is ok except there is a tack strip there that holds the carpet taunt and it will cause the tank to lean forward a bit. You shimming solved the problem so it was probably not your floor giving. Anyway still waiting on pics!!!