View Full Version : Lighting?

delpni
07-01-2010, 11:31 AM
I recently purchased a (used) 4-bulb T5 - 216 watts - for my 75 gallon (18"deep) tank. I want to keep a Sebae anemone however, I have had very controversial advice thus far on the adequacy of my lighting. Regardless, I wish to improve it without having to re-invest in an expensive setup. I am wondering if anyone here could recommend a light that I could use in addition to my current T5 setup that would allow me an additional 100 watts of output (316 watts should be plenty for anemones and coral alike??); ideally something submersible, if such a beast exist! :) I have seen plenty of decorative underwater lights, but they are not going to help suit my needs. Would be great if I could find something around $100'ish. :unsure:

LilRobb
07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
While 216watts of T5 are not overwhelming it should also not require for any additional lighting unless you wanna keep (colorful) SPS on the sandbed...

cr500_af
07-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Yep... and just for the record there are no submersible lights... if there were they would be a HUGE heat issue. You should have no trouble keeping the Sebae under those T5s. If you really want to add light, the logical way to do it would be to add another (two bulb) T5 fixture alongside the one you have. Any other way that I can think of would mean ditching the light you have and starting from scratch.

You MAY be able to squeeze another 4 bulb one there, but I'd measure carefully and make sure it will fit. Also be aware that if you block off your access to the tank with lights, you'll be moving fixtures every time you want to do even simple maintenance chores, and that will get old fast.