View Full Version : Bangaii - Size they start breeding ??

RKH
04-13-2010, 9:24 AM
I was finally able to locate what I believe is a pair of TR Banggai Cardinals. The two were hanging out in the tank together (no bickering) and have continued to do so over the past week. It may be my failing eyesight, I believe I've seen differences in both their jaws and their vents. One has a body about the size of a nickel, the other is about a quarter.

I've read everything I can find on breeding these, but don't remember seeing indications on when the start breeding, other than age (4-6 months). I don't know how old these guys are, and given that I haven't raised them before, I have nothing to go on. What's your experience? Do I likely have days :), weeks, or months to go before I see the first spawn?

By the way, I'd like to thank Bobz for pointing me to Creation Reef and these BC. This is a first-class operation with a great selection and helpful staff!

Budsreef
04-13-2010, 9:37 AM
I don't think you can go by size for when they are mature enough to breed. Since they are mouth brooders, the male carries the eggs and fry in his mouth for about 25 to 28 days. So if they are both eating when you feed the tank, then they are not yet breeding.

bobz
04-13-2010, 10:44 AM
While I was raising them, I had a six month olf female mate with a four month old male. Even at that young age, the male held the eggs for the duration and spit out 7 babies, all of which survived. So, then can start pretty darn early!

Bob

RKH
04-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks folks. I guess I'll just have to wait till one of them quits eating. Right now they scarf down everything I give them (except flake).

Patience....