View Full Version : Setting up help

rngrjeremy
03-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Looking for some help trying to get back into this hobby.
1) sand... i think i used HOMEDEPOT playground sand last time.. is this a bad idea? any other ideas instead
2) Looking for a UV Sterlizer for my 110 gal tank. I would like to put it in the sump which is a sealife system pro series 150. Can someone link me with what i need to do the job. Not looking for the most expensive but want better then the cheapest crap.
3) looking for the best place to find my live rock on line?
4) auto top off- my sump doesnt have a predrilled hole for it to connect, looking for some kinda of gizmo that will allow me to use a 25gal tote with it that wont fail and flood my rental..

Thanks for you help and peace

ricksconnected
03-16-2010, 12:06 AM
best place to find your live rock is right here on this forum.
theres always rock up for sale on here. if you dont see it right away, wait a couple days it will be there.

DrNecropolis
03-16-2010, 12:09 AM
I wouldt go the HD route to save money on the sand.. One major issue is that its so fine it will blow around with very little flow hitting it.. Another is, Its just like sand in the surfline.. Thick and hard as a rock when its wet.

Back in the day HD used to sell KolorScape SouthDown and it was fine because it was aragonite sand.. Its not anymore though..

We have a few sponsers that have great deals on bags of sand.. Like 40lb bags for $30 or so.. Or you can always buy sand from members here, same with Rock.

rngrjeremy
03-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Looking for some help trying to get back into this hobby.
1) sand... i think i used HOMEDEPOT playground sand last time.. is this a bad idea? any other ideas instead
2) Looking for a UV Sterlizer for my 110 gal tank. I would like to put it in the sump which is a sealife system pro series 150. Can someone link me with what i need to do the job. Not looking for the most expensive but want better then the cheapest crap.
3) looking for the best place to find my live rock on line?
4) auto top off- my sump doesnt have a predrilled hole for it to connect, looking for some kinda of gizmo that will allow me to use a 25gal tote with it that wont fail and flood my rental..
5) Do i really need an RO/DI... i didnt use one last time with my 55 gal or my 90 gal... i think i should get one but having a hard time selling the idea to my wife... can someone link me with a decient priced one that would do the trick if i really need one

Thanks for you help and peace

llewella
03-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Also the home depot sand contains lots of silica which causes problems with diatoms..

DrNecropolis
03-16-2010, 12:30 AM
For me RODI is a must.. I battled algae for a long time until I was able to get a unit.. After that, its worth its weight in gold..

check with
Air Water Ice (www.airwaterice.com) for a good one... They also offer 10% off to ARC members I believe..

Kirru
03-16-2010, 12:32 AM
1) I wouldn't do sand from HD, there are a few threads here with members either selling it or giving it away free.
2) I know you are a ways away but Blue Planet in McDonough has a couple UVs for sale that won't break the bank but are good UVs from what I have been told.. actually have one myself.
3)again, there is local rock cheaper or in some cases free
4) JBJ or Tunze are the only two ATOs i would consider. Actually considering the Tunze myself. pricey but worth it
5) IMHO, yes it is a must. Though there are some who don't use it but that is a preference as well as if you tap water has a low TDS reading. Mine doesn't and I have one and it is the best investment I ever made, along with joining ARC. I'd get it and not tell her the price :D remember this you buy cheap you buy twice. that has been my rule for buying things in this hobby and so far it hasn't failed me.

Barbara
03-16-2010, 6:55 AM
Welcome to the ARC and back to the hobby.

Just to chime in with everyone else, I would recommend against using HD sand. You can pick up sand from members here cheap, sometimes even free. You just have to be patient and/or willing to clean it (sometimes). Same goes for the live rock. When I first started I insisted that all my live rock be "live" and be coraline encrusted, teeming with life. After 5 years in the hobby, as I've taken the LR out of my own tank and sat it out to dry, or bleached it to re-use, I've come to the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with going with "dead" rock and bringing it to life in my tank. Much cheaper that way. You might want to consider if you can't find live for a good price. Also, if you just absolutely want live, and you can't find it cheap from a member, you might also consider a sponsor store over on-line. The benefits of hand-picking the rock, coupled with not paying shipping bring the cost of buying locally very close to the on-line price, and you'll be much happier with stuff you can pick out yourself.

Good luck with your tank choices and feel free to ask questions. You're in the right place for getting back into the hobby.

ichthyoid
03-16-2010, 9:10 PM
If I may take a tangent off of this thread, below is an interesting article on silica in reef aquariums-

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/feature.htm