View Full Version : Struggling with Algae??? So WAS I...

Cjsparky
03-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Hey all just a brief update on the tank and my critters. So I was having a real problem with Algae. My tank at one point was covered with algae...fine hairs growing on the rocks, plus aiptasia looking branch like algae growing on the back wall. I took a 2 step approach to erradicating it...and today, a mere 4 weeks later it is GONE...completely.

First off I went to strictly RODI water. I know I would be doing this step eventually, but diddnt really have much in the tank aside from a little CuC so I went cheap tap. I think this is the biggest reason for the erradication of the algae.

Secondly, I added a Lawnmower Blenny, Goldrimmed Tang, and a Diamond Watchman Goby. HOLY CRAP! These guys were better than any CuC I could imagine. The Blenny and Tang went to work on the algae on the rocks and tank, while the Goby sifted all of my sand clean. AMAZING. I am now scared that they will not have anything to graze on now, and I havnt seen any of them go for my nori clip. Do I need to add some veggi flake to my feeding regimen now?

CJ

toeside
03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the tips! I'm taking notes...

NanoNano
03-15-2010, 1:40 PM
I didn't know anyone still used anything but RO/DI water in reef tanks anymore. Glad to hear you've gotten it under control though.