View Full Version : my clown larvae are hatching

01-29-2010, 12:18 AM
A long night I guess. Thanks to Bud for all of the borrowed equipment and advice. The Larvae trap is working great. My cleaner shrimp is out trying for a midnight snack. I gave him a small piece of formula one and I think he went to bed.

01-29-2010, 12:50 AM

Ralph ATL
01-29-2010, 1:16 AM

01-29-2010, 2:10 AM
man I am tired and wore out, usually I am in bed by 10.

01-29-2010, 3:54 AM
Nice! Must be in the air, one of my peppermint shrimp has a clutch of eggs :)

01-29-2010, 4:35 AM
thats great to hear im happy for u. i would love to see some pictures

01-29-2010, 8:33 AM

01-29-2010, 8:49 AM

01-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Well, it was a long night collecting larvae. I am sure I made some mistakes along the way. This is my first attempt at rearing saltwater larvae. Actually only about 40 hatched so far, more still clinking to rock this morning. I do not know if I delayed the hatching by starting the collection too early. I waited until I saw a few larvae on surface, then put the LED at entrance of larvae trap. Last night it seemed more went into trap, but hard to see with lights out and larvae so darn small. Plus I think my cleaner shrimp was having him a snack. He is very stubborn, and would not back off very long at my attempts to knock him away. While trying to keep him away I might have spooked the larvae also.
This morning it looks like I have lost many of the larvae. Upon observation the yolk sac looked small. Not for sure the reason, they are suppose to live 24-48 hours on the yolk sac. Maybe the hatching had been delayed, or maybe dealing with it being only the second time this pair had spawned. Or possibly I need to feed the breeding pair a better diet.
I added rotifers and phytoplankton this morning, it was recommended to go ahead especially with "thin larvae". I have raised freshwater angelfish along with many other varieties, but I really did not realize how much work went into rearing saltwater, (but fun). :)

01-29-2010, 4:21 PM
very cool! good luck! Keep an eye on the ammonia levels too. I was using the ammonia alerts in my larva tanks. Should not be much of a problem the first few days. Once they start eating and growing the ammonia can build up fast especially in a small tank.

01-29-2010, 4:34 PM
Bob, thank for the pointer, I will try to get one tomorrow. I have my tank totally blacked out with poster board. It is so hard to see what is going on just looking down. I have lost most of the larvae. I have several left swimming around hopefully they are eating well. The ones left on the rock have slowly disappeared. Looks like no more will hatch tonight. I have learned a great deal off of this first spawn.

01-29-2010, 5:06 PM
:You_Rock_Emoticon: Glenn!

Although you probably feel like this :yawn:, emotionally at least I'd be feeling like :bananajump:.... At least that's what I think I'd be like. :)

01-29-2010, 5:31 PM
My first batch I thought I lost all the larva since I had dark sides and green water too.. I kept adding rotifers and was pleasantly surprised when about 30 were still alve and feeding after about 10 days. Good luck and you are right, you learn more with each batch.

Atlanta Aquarium
01-29-2010, 6:27 PM
Way to go Glenn!

01-29-2010, 6:46 PM
:You_Rock_Emoticon: Glenn!

Although you probably feel like this :yawn:, emotionally at least I'd be feeling like :bananajump:.... At least that's what I think I'd be like. :)

I was excited about the whole ordeal. I was not sleeping on Wednesday night thinking about the big night. Then last night I was up real late. I cannot believe I was sitting in front of my tank at 2:30 in the morning trying to coach larvae into a trap. I was told by a friend "you need a life". :D
I love it tough, I guess I do have an extra hole in my head.

02-02-2010, 3:57 PM
Hey Glenn, how about an update?

02-02-2010, 5:41 PM
Not good I lost all of them, still trying to analyze exactly why. I had very few left over the first morning. But looks like the breeding pair are getting ready again. They are picking at the hairy mushroom rock and really p!$$ing the srooms off.

02-05-2010, 5:30 AM
those are some amazing pics the quality is great.

02-18-2010, 10:21 AM
This morning I am on my 8th day of my 2nd attempt at rearing. Only collected about 28 total larvae, most were lost early but for the last 5 days I have maintained seven. This morning I got up and it looked like a few were beginning the metamorphosis phase. They looked to be gasping, I had read they would start swimming awkward (more like a clown fish). But they seemed to be gasping at the surface. I have an alarm, and it was reading a pale green color. I figured it meant the reading was between 0 and .25. I decided to do an ammonia test, and it was almost off the chart. So after changing about 25% of the water 3 times. Looks like reading still at at 1.0 ppm. I am preparing to do another change. It looks like I only have 4 left. Seems the process went south quickly. Not for sure if I was feeding too many rotifers for such a small amount of larvae. I guess I will be testing every day, not relying on alarm.

Ralph ATL
02-18-2010, 11:34 AM
that sucks! but, I guess there is a huge learning curve.