View Full Version : Need help catching a wrasse ASAP

atreyu917
12-29-2009, 6:24 PM
Bought a Twelve Line Wrasse two days ago and he has given a couple of my fish he'll ever since. Caused my scissortail to jump out and almost die and my Smiths Blenny has stayed in hiding. Maybe things would call down but I don't even want him at this point. Unfortunately he is very smart. Right now I have a 16oz bottle with food in it and the top cut and facing inward. 2 hours almost and nothing. Shows interest every once in awhile but not much. And other ideas?

Kirru
12-29-2009, 6:26 PM
sounds like you got a "dennis the menace" on your hands.

johnr2604
12-29-2009, 6:27 PM
Bought a Twelve Line Wrasse two days ago and he has given a couple of my fish he'll ever since. Caused my scissortail to jump out and almost die and my Smiths Blenny has stayed in hiding. Maybe things would call down but I don't even want him at this point. Unfortunately he is very smart. Right now I have a 16oz bottle with food in it and the top cut and facing inward. 2 hours almost and nothing. Shows interest every once in awhile but not much. And other ideas?Give it some time. Fish traps are really the only way to get a wrasse out of a display short of tearing it apart.

atreyu917
12-29-2009, 6:30 PM
I'm trying to drink the 2L as fast as we can because I think the 16oz is probably too small. Think it's best to lay on it's side or stand it up? I just don't get how they don't get out of it once they are in

weaglereefer
12-29-2009, 6:32 PM
On it's side. May need to put a rock inside to weigh it down and keep it from moving. They can't find the opening to get out again. Even minnow traps (for bait) are designed this way. Also helps if you haven't fed them in a day or two.

atreyu917
12-29-2009, 6:51 PM
Alright I'll just tell my mom not to feed them at all tomorrow and hope he goes in

twocute2b4u
12-29-2009, 7:20 PM
Good luck. I have always been concerned with getting a fish in my display tank that will reap havoc on the other fish. I have a couple of fairy wrasses that I am going to put in the DT this weekend.

Again, good luck.

Rbredding
12-29-2009, 7:28 PM
I'm trying to drink the 2L as fast as we can
HAHAHAHA!!!!

got this awesome mental picture of you sitting there with 5 glasses of coke in front of you...

:lol2:

weaglereefer
12-29-2009, 7:29 PM
Make sure to eat a lot of mentos afterwards.

Kirru
12-29-2009, 7:46 PM
I'm trying to drink the 2L as fast as we can because I think the 16oz is probably too small. Think it's best to lay on it's side or stand it up? I just don't get how they don't get out of it once they are in

Haha, thats funny, I can finish a 2L off so quick. :) i'm a coke-holic. Just go slow, gas may build up, then well, it starts to sound funny :)

Acroholic
12-29-2009, 7:51 PM
Get a small round mirror and place it inside the trap. Your wrasse will see his reflection, think it is another 12 line, and go in to hassle it.

I caught a 6 line by borrowing another 6 line from a LFS, placing the bait 6 line in a small vented plastic container, and then placing that in the trap (drop door type). The 6 line saw the bait 6 line and entered the trap and I caught him. Took all of 30 minutes after a week and many hours of traditional food bait type incentives in the trap.
Dave

johnr2604
12-29-2009, 7:55 PM
Get a small round mirror and place it inside the trap. Your wrasse will see his reflection, think it is another 12 line, and go in to hassle it.

I caught a 6 line by borrowing another 6 line from a LFS, placing the bait 6 line in a small vented plastic container, and then placing that in the trap (drop door type). The 6 line saw the bait 6 line and entered the trap and I caught him. Took all of 30 minutes after a week and many hours of traditional food bait type incentives in the trap.
DaveVery clever Dave :up:

blu_devl_06
12-29-2009, 7:56 PM

Dave

That's a new one too me!! Sounds like it just may work!!:up:

atreyu917
12-29-2009, 8:03 PM
Where did you get the drop door trap from Dave?

tjherman
12-29-2009, 8:15 PM
I'm trying to drink the 2L as fast as we can

I could finish off a 2L real fast (for a girl?), lol. :shades:

atreyu917
12-29-2009, 8:18 PM
Dude I can't drink anymore, it's going to have to wait till tomorrow. I just hope I've seen the worst and everyone can bear with the little minion till I get him. Unfortunately I'll be at work all day tomorrow too

Keithb
12-29-2009, 8:21 PM
Use a stun gun...

MvM
12-29-2009, 8:23 PM
Where did you get the drop door trap from Dave?
He borrowed it from me. It should be floating around with some member now. Im not sure who has it.

atreyu917
12-29-2009, 8:26 PM
Where did you get it then? Ha ha. I'm going to feel so horrible if he harassed anyone to death! Btw if you still have that nem I can come Sunday and get it!

MvM
12-29-2009, 8:43 PM
http://www.marinedepot.com/Ultralife_Fish_Trap_Fish_Containers_Traps_for_Salt water_Aquariums-Ultralife-UL1511-FIMISC-vi.html

Acroholic
12-29-2009, 9:19 PM
He borrowed it from me. It should be floating around with some member now. Im not sure who has it.

Actually, it wasn't the trap I got from you. I built a knock off of that one out of a larger diameter acrylic tube to catch a large Sailfin Tang. My acrylic drop door was made out of 1/4" and was easier to use, so I just used that one.

I still have the trap from you if anyone needs to borrow it or you want to get it back.
Dave

Acroholic
12-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Credit the use of a small mirror goes to Joe, aka Sailfish. He used this to catch a fish in his tank. The use of a bait wrasse is mine.
Dave

cr500_af
12-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Good luck (assuming you haven't caught him yet). I tried for a solid week to catch Robb's sixline out of Sandie's tank and finally had to resort to pulling all the rock out to get him. Trap was in for five days and nights, nothing doing.

atreyu917
12-30-2009, 9:52 PM
Argh Barry, don't tell me that! I managed to catch my Blenny this AM, which is ok because he got his fair share of mysis to fill up on since he hasn't been able to come out and feed with the rest of them.
Going to try and trap him again once I finish a 2L.

Having him in my tank still is giving me major anxiety.

Mockery
12-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Do the old turn your light on at midnight. Fish should swim out all drunk.

cr500_af
12-30-2009, 11:11 PM
I tried that too... little craphead wouldn't come out at all until lights were on at least five minutes. It got to the point where Rob said to just keep it, but Sandie didn't want it in her tank... so we just tore it down and put it right back together.

ricksconnected
12-31-2009, 12:31 AM
um......how about just pouring the 2L out in the sink,
after all, it is cheaper than a saltwater fish right?

Kirru
12-31-2009, 12:33 AM
but rick, that would mean not being able to enjoy the refreshing coke taste, not to mention the tingling of the carbon bubbles i enjoy soooo much

ricksconnected
12-31-2009, 12:39 AM
ok just trade her a empty 2L bottle then. lol

Kirru
12-31-2009, 12:40 AM
lord knows i got a few lying around too

ricksconnected
12-31-2009, 12:42 AM
i like acro's idea with the mirrow. seems like it would work pretty good.

Acroholic
12-31-2009, 12:44 AM
The 2 liter trap did not work for me when I tried to catch my 6 line. Caught almost every other fish in the tank. Sneaky lil' 6 line would wait just outside the bottle for another fish to get caught and freak out, sending the bait food floating outside the bottle, then he'd eat it.

ricksconnected
12-31-2009, 12:47 AM
lol. its amazing how smart some of these creatures can be dave.

Acroholic
12-31-2009, 2:11 AM
Honestly, I wasted about 8 hours using bottle traps and the slide door trap with food bait, and the 6 line never went into one of them. It was when I thought to myself, what does a 6 line hate more than any other fish, and the answer was another 6 line. Got the bait 6 line and caught the 6 line within 30 minutes with the slide door trap.

cr500_af
12-31-2009, 9:01 AM
Honestly, I wasted about 8 hours using bottle traps and the slide door trap with food bait, and the 6 line never went into one of them. It was when I thought to myself, what does a 6 line hate more than any other fish, and the answer was another 6 line. Got the bait 6 line and caught the 6 line within 30 minutes with the slide door trap.

I was actually going that route and couldn't locate another sixline. :(

Keithb
12-31-2009, 10:17 AM
Like I said use a tazer... just don't have your hand in the tank!
On another note use a Colored plastic cup put food in it, it when in like a tunnel and use a net to catch it. I did that for my sisters fish took 15 min.

AndrewG
12-31-2009, 11:24 AM
That's a brilliant idea Dave.

Acroholic
12-31-2009, 11:49 AM
A lot depends on the fish as well. I think you are more likely to catch a fish the first time or two than later after several attempts. My 6 line got used to me trying to catch it and got wary, I think.

OTOH, I had a McKosker's wrasse that I was able to put a little bit of frozen food in one of those hang on specimen cups (transparent in color) and he swam into it and I pulled him out. He didn't have any fear of me or nets or anything becasue I had only netted him once to put him in the tank.

atreyu917
12-31-2009, 1:08 PM
Update...
Still no fish. I had no time to rebait it before work this morning, so I just did like 30 minutes ago. My fish haven't eaten in almost 24 hours and I feel so bad for them.
Good news though, he's getting braver and closer to going inside the trap. He hasn't left the area that the trap is at since I put it in there. He swims in the top part of the trap just hasn't had the courage to go through the neck.

I think with time and patience this may work. I just hope he can't figure out how to get back out.

atreyu917
12-31-2009, 4:10 PM
Got him! Already been returned and everything! Phew!!!

Keithb
12-31-2009, 4:11 PM
what did you use?

atreyu917
12-31-2009, 4:14 PM
I was just patient with the coke bottle with mysis trick!