View Full Version : How many Tangs for a 300

ramses66
12-26-2009, 9:25 PM
How many Tangs can I put in a 300 gallons. I was thinking
5 yellow
5 Dori
2 Blonds
If I introduce at the same time will there be a problem? Thanks in advance for your comments.

twistoflime
12-26-2009, 9:29 PM
That is not going to work. First of all what are the dimensions of the tank? 6 ft or 8 ft? If you introduced all of those fish at the same time your tank might very well crash. Blonde naso tangs can get to 2 ft hippos can get to 1 ft and yellows can get to about 10". Even if these are the only fish in the tank it will not work. The tangs will fight and get stressed from over croding. Multiple tangs of each species as they get bigger might not get along, it's pretty risky. This would not work.
I would say 1 hippo, 1 yellow, 1 naso IF your tank is 8 ft, and a few smaller fish, mabey a foxface and one other big fish.

weaglereefer
12-26-2009, 9:31 PM
I would say 1 hippo, 1 yellow, 1 naso IF your tank is 8 ft, and a few smaller fish, mabey a foxface and one other big fish.

I'm no tang expert, but I think he could get away with A LOT more than that...

twistoflime
12-26-2009, 9:33 PM
I'm no tang expert, but I think he could get away with A LOT more than that...
You could but nasos get really large and take up alot of room. If the tank is only 6ft long I wouldn't get the naso and would get 4-7 tangs depending on the full grown size and compatibility of each.

ramses66
12-26-2009, 9:34 PM
That is not going to work. First of all what are the dimensions of the tank? 6 ft or 8 ft? If you introduced all of those fish at the same time your tank might very well crash. Blonde naso tangs can get to 2 ft hippos can get to 1 ft and yellows can get to about 10". Even if these are the only fish in the tank it will not work. The tangs will fight and get stressed from over croding. Multiple tangs of each species as they get bigger might not get along, it's pretty risky. This would not work.

Tank is 72 long, Only 1 of each??

twistoflime
12-26-2009, 9:37 PM
Tank is 72 long, Only 1 of each??
I wouldn't do a pair of nasos you could put 1 naso in a 6ft long tank but it might get pretty cramped when it gets bigger, you could do a trio of the yellow tang OR a trio of hippo tangs + one of the other tang but 5 of each is way to much.

ramses66
12-26-2009, 9:40 PM
Yeah I see so many tanks full of Tangs, I was wondering how they grow. Any body got several tangs in their tank.

blu_devl_06
12-26-2009, 9:40 PM
I'm staying outta this one, I would surely get blasted for my response:shades:...

twistoflime
12-26-2009, 9:44 PM
Yeah I see so many tanks full of Tangs, I was wondering how they grow. Any body got several tangs in their tank.
I'm going to have a red sea sailfin tang, hippo tang, bariene tang, achillies tang, and possibly a unicorn tang. Thats 5 tangs in my 320g thats 6ft long. 12 tangs is just too much for a 6 ft 300 imo.

Hackman72
12-26-2009, 9:44 PM
12 tangs is too much for a 300 at adult sizes. As juvies you can get by with a lot more but you'll have to trade them in as they get bigger. As long as you can keep a good O2 saturation and a good bio-filtration going, you can keep quite a few tangs together. You'll have to feed Nori more often to keep them happy and that means you'll need a little more of a clean up crew to catch the scraps.

ramses66
12-26-2009, 9:45 PM
I'm staying outta this one, I would surely get blasted for my response:shades:...

Ah come on, lets here it! Trying to learn and not make to many mistakes

ramses66
12-26-2009, 9:49 PM
OK...2 Dori, 2 blondes, 4 yellow. Would this be better??

EnderG60
12-26-2009, 9:52 PM
well I will be doing a Yellow, sailfin, purple, scopas, naso, vlamingi, blue, powder blue, achillies, sohol and a clown tang in mine so I think your fine :)

Toss em in and see what happens, just remember to keep odd numbers of yellows.

blu_devl_06
12-26-2009, 9:54 PM
ok, I really hate when people say how many fish per gallon. It's total crap. The number of fish that can be supported by a system depends on more than just gallons. Is it an open water fish that requires a lot of room to swim? Are they loners or schoolers, what kind of biological filtration does the sytem have to handle such large, messy fish? is there any algae growth in the tank? how and what are you going to feed these animals, most tangs need to graze all day. What other fish are going to be in the system and how will they be effected by this? Don't get me wrong, I love a nice healthy, "overstocked" tank, mine will be "overstocked" shortly, but there needs to be more things considered than just, how many per gallon. I hear this all the time at my current job, and heard it all the time when I had my store up and running. There are far to many factors that should go into this decision....

jason sartain
12-26-2009, 9:55 PM
I got a few in mine.LOL
Just kidding,I do have a naso,orange shoulder,yellow,valmingi,red sea sailfin, and a large foxface in a 6ft 240 gal. with 14 other small fish like clowns,gobbies,wrasses,etc...
But the total system is around 500gal,with a h%LL of a skimmer,and about 700 lbs of LR.
Hope this helps.

Hackman72
I think you'd be fine with those tangs.

blu_devl_06
Sorry, but I feel better now!!:D

Hackman72
12-26-2009, 9:58 PM
ok, I really hate when people say how many fish per gallon. It's total crap. The number of fish that can be supported by a system depends on more than just gallons. Is it an open water fish that requires a lot of room to swim? Are they loners or schoolers, what kind of biological filtration does the sytem have to handle such large, messy fish? is there any algae growth in the tank? how and what are you going to feed these animals, most tangs need to graze all day. What other fish are going to be in the system and how will they be effected by this? Don't get me wrong, I love a nice healthy, "overstocked" tank, mine will be "overstocked" shortly, but there needs to be more things considered than just, how many per gallon. I hear this all the time at my current job, and heard it all the time when I had my store up and running. There are far to many factors that should go into this decision....

Sorry, but I feel better now!!:D

Very well put.

twistoflime
12-26-2009, 10:00 PM
OK...2 Dori, 2 blondes, 4 yellow. Would this be better??
How about 1 dori, 1 blonde, and 5 yellow? Or 3 dori and 3 yellow with 1 blonde. I wouldn't think you could do a pair of hippo tangs unluss they were a true pair. I would do a pair of nasos in a 6 ft tank they just get too big. Even if you use a very open aquascape. blue devl has a very good point it's very hard to say how many fish. With tangs since they're a very active fish I usually go with how long the tank is vs how big the fish gets.

twistoflime
12-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Also I've never seen hippos school, does any one know if they truly school?

ramses66
12-26-2009, 10:05 PM

Yeah 10-4 great thoughts. Yeah I would like a nicely "healthly overstocked tank" also. But want happy fish also. Thanks for the advise.

ramses66
12-26-2009, 10:08 PM
How about 1 dori, 1 blonde, and 5 yellow? Or 3 dori and 3 yellow with 1 blonde. I wouldn't think you could do a pair of hippo tangs unluss they were a true pair. I would do a pair of nasos in a 6 ft tank they just get too big. Even if you use a very open aquascape. blue devl has a very good point it's very hard to say how many fish. With tangs since they're a very active fish I usually go with how long the tank is vs how big the fish gets.

Yeah I can do any combination, tank should be ready the middle of January for fish. I value everyone opinion, and want to be pushed in the right direction,

blu_devl_06
12-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah 10-4 great thoughts. Yeah I would like a nicely "healthly overstocked tank" also. But want happy fish also. Thanks for the advise.

That was not neccessarily directed towards you, that was directed at anyone trying to give you advice based solely on tank size. Totally unprofessional, and unwise.

ramses66
12-26-2009, 10:12 PM
That was not neccessarily directed towards you, that was directed at anyone trying to give you advice based solely on tank size. Totally unprofessional, and unwise.

I'm enjoying all the feedback, learning a lot. Keep it coming guys and girls!

twistoflime
12-26-2009, 10:18 PM
I just reread my post I ment you should NOT add a pair of the nasos to your tank. If you want schools of fish there are other options than tangs aswell.
Sissor tail gobies are great fish they arn't very active and don't add much bioload but are a nice schooling fish that swim out in the open. You could add some of those to your tank for more color aswell. mabey some anthais.
If you were going to add 1 naso 3 hippo and 3 yellow it would be hard to add them all at once. You could add the naso, then the 3 hippos, and then the 3 yellow since yellows can be kind of aggresive.

grouper therapy
12-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Tangs
1 baby vlamingi
1 naso
1 vlamingi
2 yellow
1 scopas
1 mimic
1 black shoulder
1 purple
1 sailfin
1 tomini
1 spotted kole
Others
2 breeding clowns
2 breeding chromis
1 regal angel
1 flame angel
1 orange spotted rabbit fish
1 lunar wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 eight line wrasse
2 yellow damsels
1 blue damsel
1 copperband butterfly

156 display and 150 sump
The large naso and vlamingi will be leaving as soon as I catch them.

LilRobb
12-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Tangs
1 baby vlamingi
1 naso
1 vlamingi
2 yellow
1 scopas
1 mimic
1 black shoulder
1 purple
1 sailfin
1 tomini
1 spotted kole
Others
2 breeding clowns
2 breeding chromis
1 regal angel
1 flame angel
1 lunar wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 eight line wrasse
2 yellow damsels
1 blue damsel
1 copperband butterfly

156 display and 150 sump

...and they're all happy as happy can be, I am a witness!!!

ramses66
12-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Tangs
1 baby vlamingi
1 naso
1 vlamingi
2 yellow
1 scopas
1 mimic
1 black shoulder
1 purple
1 sailfin
1 tomini
1 spotted kole
Others
2 breeding clowns
2 breeding chromis
1 regal angel
1 flame angel
1 lunar wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 eight line wrasse
2 yellow damsels
1 blue damsel
1 copperband butterfly

156 display and 150 sump

WOW! You into coals also?

twistoflime
12-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Tangs
1 baby vlamingi
1 naso
1 vlamingi
2 yellow
1 scopas
1 mimic
1 black shoulder
1 purple
1 sailfin
1 tomini
1 spotted kole
Others
2 breeding clowns
2 breeding chromis
1 regal angel
1 flame angel
1 lunar wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 eight line wrasse
2 yellow damsels
1 blue damsel
1 copperband butterfly

156 display and 150 sump
Thats alot of tangs!:) But there is just 1 of each except for the yellow tangs. Schooling tangs are usually alot more active than just one of their species. Plus most of those are on the smaller side for tangs.
I'm just afraid that once the yellow and hippo tangs get into a schooling "mentality" they might get pretty aggrasive and alot more active.

jason sartain
12-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Awsome,can you post a pic?Tangs
1 baby vlamingi
1 naso
1 vlamingi
2 yellow
1 scopas
1 mimic
1 black shoulder
1 purple
1 sailfin
1 tomini
1 spotted kole
Others
2 breeding clowns
2 breeding chromis
1 regal angel
1 flame angel
1 lunar wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 eight line wrasse
2 yellow damsels
1 blue damsel
1 copperband butterfly

156 display and 150 sump

grouper therapy
12-26-2009, 10:46 PM
WOW! You into coals also?

It is a mixed reef. my avatar has a couple of my corals.

Mockery
12-26-2009, 10:52 PM
...and they're all happy as happy can be, I am a witness!!!

I've witnessed it too! He's got a great tank!

blu_devl_06
12-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Tangs
1 baby vlamingi
1 naso
1 vlamingi
2 yellow
1 scopas
1 mimic
1 black shoulder
1 purple
1 sailfin
1 tomini
1 spotted kole
Others
2 breeding clowns
2 breeding chromis
1 regal angel
1 flame angel
1 lunar wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 eight line wrasse
2 yellow damsels
1 blue damsel
1 copperband butterfly

156 display and 150 sump

Prime example....I know these fish are very healthy.....:D

blu_devl_06
12-27-2009, 12:08 AM
I saw a film of a very large school of yellow tangs foraging on a reef, they came across a couple of powder blues, the powder blues tried to defend their territory, to no avail, and quit after they realized there was no hope....no further aggression.

Keithb
12-27-2009, 12:14 AM
send free frags out? hehe

ramses66
12-27-2009, 9:25 AM
OK this is what I've learned, thanks for the great advice everyone.

*Naso and hippo's grow big.
*Scissor tail goibies are a schooling fish
*I can't add all Tangs at one time, Which should go first
*Someone said add a odd # of yellow tangs dont understand

twistoflime
12-27-2009, 10:05 AM
You should probobly add the naso first since there will only be one, the hippo group second because they are usually relitivly docile fish, then the yellow tang group because they can somtimes bully other fish if added first. Try to make the hippo and yellow tangs about the same size so one group doesn't get beat up.
Sissor tail gobbies or sissor tail dartfish http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1636+205&pcatid=205 are a cheap scooling fish, they are usually around 10-20 dollars each and are preaty hardy. You could do a group of 15 or more in your tank, or you could just do 3. Tim has them at Keen Reef all the time.

EnderG60
12-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Also I've never seen hippos school, does any one know if they truly school?

they do, ive seen 50 babies schooling many times, and ive seen 10-12 of them in a large display school as well....or shoal im not sure which.

add them all at the same time, easiest way to go so no one sets up a territory first.

James S.
12-27-2009, 11:25 AM

Wheres the Unicorn? I dont see him in your list?

ramses66
12-27-2009, 11:37 AM
You should probobly add the naso first since there will only be one, the hippo group second because they are usually relitivly docile fish, then the yellow tang group because they can somtimes bully other fish if added first. Try to make the hippo and yellow tangs about the same size so one group doesn't get beat up.

Really good info, that's exactly what I was looking for.

oldschool52
12-27-2009, 11:43 AM
I personally check out the adult size of fish before getting them. I get attached to my fish and hate to give them up if they outgrow my tanks. My largest tank is a 72 with most of my corals and a total of 8 fish the largest being a Yellow Tang and Coletang about 6-7 inches each but my favorie fish is a Naso. I will not get one untill I have the room for a large enough tank to keep it. Like said fish per gallons DON'T work too many other factors to consider. I have a 55 with a Huma Trigger, Porcupine puffer, Australian Harlequin and 2 percs. They are all happy and fat and get along great. I enjoy all these fish and hope my trigger grows slower than he has. In the last 9 months he has trippled in size. About 6-7 inches now.If he gets much larger I'll set up another 55 I have sitting around just for him. Can't bear the thought of getting rid of him, he's like a bulldog puppy. My plan is to someday replace the 72 with something larger but still don't know if I can go large enough for a Naso.A 72" long tank is about my limit for space.

ramses66
12-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Great advice. But I haven't saw many places that have adult (full grown) fish. Most places carrry only juvies

oldschool52
12-27-2009, 12:07 PM
I know that if you purchase full grown the price is astronomical. I do know fish will grow pretty quickly with good tank conditions and I have a problem giving away or selling fish I've had for a good while I just set up another tank.

ramses66
12-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Yeah I'll keep in mind that the fish will grow when adding. I think that is the illusion that some tanks have is with All the juvie fish swimming around. That's why I thought I could add 5 Hippo Tang, not thinking they would get bigger, a lot bigger. Thank for the advise

tater
12-27-2009, 12:14 PM
sometimes you don't know your limit until you have passed it .

ramses66
12-27-2009, 12:17 PM
sometimes you don't know your limit until you have passed it .

I can dig it tater, Like some other reefer said, they kinda like a dog. Can't get rid of your best friend.

grouper therapy
12-27-2009, 12:39 PM
My bad James
Unicorn not naso

salt reefer
12-27-2009, 2:38 PM
i just have a yellow tang and an atlantic blue tang. i got mostly angles lol.

ramses66
12-27-2009, 2:40 PM
What about the dreaded Ich. Anything I need to know about that?

salt reefer
12-27-2009, 2:50 PM
yea dont get it lol. the black ich isnt very bad but i hate the white ich. the black ich is worms fresh water dip get rid of it plus quirintine. white is quirintine and meds .

Mockery
12-27-2009, 3:04 PM
Check out Mojo's thread about UV sterilizers. I'd suggest getting a very large one for your system so you shouldn't have to worry about ich.

andregarcia_73
12-27-2009, 6:41 PM
If you QT and maintain them properly this shouldn't be an issue and if one gets ich then they all may get ich also!

blu_devl_06
12-27-2009, 9:11 PM

For that matter, I don't understand why the sohal didn't make the list. That would be the first one in my tank!! Maybe I need a larger tang/k!!

ramses66
12-27-2009, 9:42 PM
Check out Mojo's thread about UV sterilizers. I'd suggest getting a very large one for your system so you shouldn't have to worry about ich.

OK thanks, I'll have to read up on UV sterilizers, do you have a link to Mojos thread?