View Full Version : Gorilla glue

WILLIAM1
12-24-2009, 1:46 PM
I was wondering if this could be used to glue LR together. Didnt know if anyone has ever looked into it. heres a link to the msds on the glue. I dont know much about itbut thought that since it is activated by water had an idea about glueing LR together. Anyone want to chime in.

http://www.gorillatough.com/Portals/0/pdfs/msds/MSDS%20Fast%20Cure%20Dries%20White%20English.pdf

kayakATL
12-24-2009, 2:39 PM
I would not. Ever read the back of the bottle? I thought about it last week. Then read the toxic warnings.

WILLIAM1
12-24-2009, 2:42 PM
Toxic when its wet maybe. But its waterproof and hard as a rock when its dry. Though some chemicals may leech off in the water. But like DIY rock from cement need to soak for a while to clean them up. Just an idea we will see if anyone else chimes in on this one.

DrNecropolis
12-24-2009, 3:11 PM
Since its polyurethane I would think it would be safe once its dried and cured..

WILLIAM1
12-24-2009, 4:53 PM
Since its polyurethane I would think it would be safe once its dried and cured..

Thanks I was thinking the same thing. I think I might try it out with some small pieces of rubble rock 1st and test it for a few weeks and see what I get.

ares
12-24-2009, 5:40 PM
I think it would be safe... I dont think it would hold the rocks together at all though :/

it would have to be base rock, as if you cant dry it underwater, and it takes hours to dry... unless you could pack it with wet newspaper or something... which could be hard on a large scale rock formation

Skriz
12-24-2009, 9:39 PM
MSDS states that it reacts with water forming heat, CO2, and insoluble polyurea.

Polyurea is insoluble, so you should be clear there. But, just in case, it's also used by aquariums in their fake reef structures, so you're clear anyway.

So, I'd say you're pretty safe using it, although I don't think it's really going to hold well.

Harleyguy
12-24-2009, 9:46 PM
I think I tried this stuff once... If I remember correctly it reacted with water and expanded almost like spray foam, so make sure it's completely set before it hits water.

brianjfinn
12-24-2009, 11:17 PM
I don't know about holding rock, but I use this stuff on my frag plugs all the time. It's actually the only glue I use, and prefer it to Super Glue. Never had any problems with it expanding or taking a long time to cure. Plus from what I've read and from my own experience, it doesn't cause any toxicity problems while curing in the tank.

That being said, I'm only using small amounts for frags, and the research I've done has been geared toward that. I don't know about lager amounts like the ones you would need to use to hold rock together. I'm sure if you let it cure before putting in the tank, it would be fine.

WILLIAM1
12-25-2009, 12:42 AM
I have used it a few times before with good results. Well were going to find out what it can do.