View Full Version : Best maintenance product I've purchased EVER

SnowManSnow
12-11-2009, 7:40 AM
ok I've GOT to brag on this product a little.

One of the WORST jobs about keeping a tank is the glass cleaning IMO (maybe because my tank is acrylic). It takes me like 25 mins PER SIDE to do a really good job and make sure I don't scratch stuff up.

NO MORE

I've got to say that MIGHTY MAGNETS are the BEST mag cleaners I've EVER used. EVER. I've used Mag Floats and even Magnavores (nothing to snub ur nose at those magnavores) but the MIGHTY MAGNET is BY FAR the best. It's just nice to finally find a product that WORKS EXACTLY AS ADVERTISED.

1) The cleaning side is bigger than most other mag cleaners

2) The scrub pads do what they are suppose to do without scratching
... the one that takes off coraline.. DOES take off coraline .. and does it VERY FAST without scratching my tank.

3) The algae dozer pads work!!!

I DON't WORK FOR THESE GUYS.. but if you need or know someone who needs a mag cleaner for christmas. THIS IS THE TICKET. ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL PRODUCT A+ SECOND TO NONE. VERY MUCH WORTH THE $$.

B

James S.
12-11-2009, 7:40 AM
Yup Ive been trying to tell people these things rock! Those dozer pads are the ticket for sure!

ares
12-11-2009, 9:24 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmm

my mag float is darn near worthless....

does your acrylic kinda... bulge? thats what makes my mag float so useless, only the top/bottom edges make contact, means I got to go up and down, which then kicks up sand with that motion. just a bad situation all around... but I presume its my tank thats the problem and all mags would have a similair issue with my tank.

andregarcia_73
12-11-2009, 9:26 AM
Looks like its time to upgrade from a mag float. How much is one that does a tank 1" thick acrylic?

James S.
12-11-2009, 9:37 AM
Looks like its time to upgrade from a mag float. How much is one that does a tank 1" thick acrylic?

http://www.mightymagnets.com/

I went with the F-4 which was $180 but my tank is 3/4".... your tank would need the F-6 which is $250... + cost of the extra pads which include the white,brown,and dozer pads... I would recommend buying a few of them all..the white pads are for light algae on the tank, brown for more stubborn algae, and the dozer pads get the coralline and real stubborn stuff off with ease.. I tend to skip the white pads, since I dont clean as much as I should, but they are nice to have, and the magnet actually comes with a few of them anyways...

The trick with these are:
1. dont leave the magnets in the tank after using them..
2. Wash them out in between pad changes,and after every use
3. Also clean the outside of the tank with Novus Cleaning spray before using the magnet http://www.mightymagnets.com/cleaningk.htm

kayakATL
12-11-2009, 9:46 AM
For that price it better do what it is supposed to... whew... I will keep this in mind if I ever have an acrylic tank!

glxtrix
12-11-2009, 9:48 AM
Are the dozer pads really good with acrylic tanks? And I have a magnavore mag, will these pads work with it?

KernelPanic
12-11-2009, 9:57 AM
Are the dozer pads really good with acrylic tanks? And I have a magnavore mag, will these pads work with it?
I was wondering this as well, and my magnavore is rated stronger than my acrylic tank thickness.

James S.
12-11-2009, 9:57 AM

Yeah the pads should work with any magnets...a magnet is a magnet you just have to make sure its strong enough for your particular tank. The dozer pads are a LIFE SAVER trust me.... without them I would have sold my tank already...

SnowManSnow
12-11-2009, 9:59 AM
I also have a magnavore, but it doesn't compare with these mags. Theyvare sooooooo much more powerful, and the scrub size is wider. I have a magnavore 4er and it isn't even a close comparison

James S.
12-11-2009, 10:00 AM
For that price it better do what it is supposed to... whew... I will keep this in mind if I ever have an acrylic tank!

If you ever owned a big acrylic tank you would soon realize that these are priceless. The amount of time and aggravation these save me is worth any price IMO.

James S.
12-11-2009, 10:08 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmm

my mag float is darn near worthless....

does your acrylic kinda... bulge? thats what makes my mag float so useless, only the top/bottom edges make contact, means I got to go up and down, which then kicks up sand with that motion. just a bad situation all around... but I presume its my tank thats the problem and all mags would have a similair issue with my tank.

Thats is weird... do you have an odd shape tank? Or do you think its just too thin and bulging?

andregarcia_73
12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Ok and I have a tendency of spilling saltwater on the sides of my tank during feeding the shark and reg maintenance.

Rbredding
12-11-2009, 10:22 AM
for that price it better do what it is supposed to... Whew... I will keep this in mind if i ever have an acrylic tank!

x2

glxtrix
12-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I also have a magnavore, but it doesn't compare with these mags. Theyvare sooooooo much more powerful, and the scrub size is wider. I have a magnavore 4er and it isn't even a close comparison

My tank is fortunately kinda thin...I think 3/8"....so the piranha style mag I have works nice. I'll order these pads and see what happens, they are cheap enough :)

James S.
12-11-2009, 10:39 AM
My tank is fortunately kinda thin...I think 3/8"....so the piranha style mag I have works nice. I'll order these pads and see what happens, they are cheap enough :)

You wont regret it Lee... Get some of the brown pads too.

KernelPanic
12-11-2009, 10:52 AM
I also have 3/8" acrylic. I have a mag 4ER (rated 1/2 to 3/4"). I think I'll give the pads a try. Cheaper than buying a new magnet.

ares
12-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Thats is weird... do you have an odd shape tank? Or do you think its just too thin and bulging?

Id say too thin :/ I think its 3/8" acrylic for a 240g, front pane is 2x8', the bulge is visible. used to think tenecor was high quality, not so much now. Its like the anti eurobrace too, the top has like a 5" lip around it and a 12" center brace.

if it wouldnt be so much trouble, Id swap it for a starphire glass tank with the quickness. but alas...

I feel like those pads might help it bridge the gap though.... maybe.... hate to spend 200$ to find out its just as useless though.

KernelPanic
12-11-2009, 10:59 AM
My tank is a Tenecor. 20"deep and they used 3/8". I would have gone for 1/2 or 5/8". The rather massive eurobrace is annoying.

JDabs
12-11-2009, 11:01 AM
This may be a dumb question, but are these so expensive just because magnets are that expensive? I need a good cleaner, but I just don't know if I could bring myself to pay that much for a magnet!

glxtrix
12-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Any GOOD mag is going to cost a good bit. You're paying for quality and ability to properly clean.

Skriz
12-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I've been using a mighty mag for years now; love it. I tried the dozer, but it sucks bigtime for glass. I now use the mighty for a wipe down & a tiger shark with blade attachment for scraping.

Both were well work the $$ I initially purchased a tunze magnet. Biggest pos on the market. Magnavore magnets suck big time also. The only 2 I'd ever reccomend is Algae Free & Mighty Magnets.

weaglereefer
12-11-2009, 11:19 AM
I just replaced the pads on my Magfloat 125. It's good enough for me.

SnowManSnow
12-11-2009, 1:19 PM
well if anyone needs a very good mag i have a magnavore 4er for sale now :) haha

guess ill post on RC too.. should sell quickly

Corigan
12-11-2009, 1:42 PM
Horray for my kent scraper. Sure it is glass tank but it costs me about $5 every 4 months or so for a new blade. I couldn't see spending $200 on a mag cleaner.

ares
12-11-2009, 2:07 PM
I have glass jealousy... my fuge is nice and shiny.... razor blades FTW!

James S.
12-11-2009, 2:13 PM
Horray for my kent scraper. Sure it is glass tank but it costs me about $5 every 4 months or so for a new blade. I couldn't see spending $200 on a mag cleaner.

If you had an acrylic tank you would...:D

ericmcj31
12-11-2009, 5:41 PM
Who has the cheapest mighty magnets? Also-about how thick would a 135 be??? I've nearly pulled my dam hair out w/ my mag floats w/ the razor blade glued to it- :'(

DrNecropolis
12-11-2009, 11:12 PM
A good magnet that will work for an acrylic tank is worth its weight in gold.. If only I would have ponied up the money for one back in the day I might still have that beast sitting here..

Skriz
12-12-2009, 7:26 AM
A good magnet that will work for an acrylic tank is worth its weight in gold.. If only I would have ponied up the money for one back in the day I might still have that beast sitting here..

It's worth it for glass too. It's the perfect trade-off. The crappier the magnet, the more physical work you have to do. The better the magnet, the less work you have to do. You just have to decide if it's worth your time or not. Magnets generally last a really really long time, so the investment is solid.