View Full Version : Transferring everythng to the 93 - Suggestions

jonboyb
12-09-2009, 8:25 AM
The 93 has been up and running about a month now and I've been gradually adding rock and some sand (to seed the fresh sand) from my other 3 tanks during PWC's and such. Right now I have 3 other tanks running (two 28's and a 30) with fish, rock, and coral to transfer. Obviously everything is fully cycled and ready to rock. I've gotten my temp, PH, salinity, and alkalinity matched on all systems and it's time to chunk everything in. Are there any things I should avoid or watch out for?

My plans are to add the rock and coral (coral is attached to the remaining rock I have to add) and then drip the fish and inverts even though tank parameters match.

Amici
12-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I wouldnt drip them if all the params are the same. IMO being a bucket is much more stressful than going from tank to tank. I usually move a few fish and corals over first and then move the rest just as a tester to make sure there isnt some random unforeseen problem.

jmaneyapanda
12-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Dont turn on the lights for at least a day.

jonboyb
12-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Yep, the lights will not be on for a day and then I will be short cycling for a while. My tanks all run 150w MH now and this one is 400w MH, 130 PC actinics, and 150w VHO-T-5's (although they VHO's won't be online till I get my ballast straightened out and not sure if I'll use them for actinics only or 50/50).

The reason I was planning on a short drip for the fish and inverts is because while the big parameters match, I can't match any potential nitrates and phosphates that the tanks might have developed. Obviously my 93 is 0 across the board, but I know I have minor nitrates (<15 or so) and probably minimal phospahtes in my other tanks.

Amici
12-09-2009, 10:21 AM
I still say dont drip, IMO your phos and nitrates have to be WAY off (to the point of toxic with trates) to actually cause a problem. Im only a fan of dripping inverts when you know salinity is way off personally. Other than that I temp match and get the fish in the tank as quickly as I can because its the least stressful environment.

justindville1987
12-09-2009, 10:22 AM
A buck for sure would be your best bet! I brock down my entire tank two weeks ago and I have a huge mess frome the rock lol. I would try to get fish used to the water first to reduse the chance your likestock getting shocked. Good luck buddy!

justindville1987
12-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Wow spell check blackberry has small keys lol

Amici
12-09-2009, 10:28 AM
A buck for sure would be your best bet! I brock down my entire tank two weeks ago and I have a huge mess frome the rock lol. I would try to get fish used to the water first to reduse the chance your likestock getting shocked. Good luck buddy!

What is there to get used to if all the params match and how will they get "shocked"?

Ralph ATL
12-09-2009, 11:06 AM
transfer everything over without dripping from one tank to the next. Have some prime and stability on hand (or biogest). after the transfer, I would add 1/2 recommended dosage of prime, and a few hours later, stability or ever other day for a week or so.

Amici
12-09-2009, 11:09 AM
I forgot to mention the prime and stability, thank Ralph. And IMO I would dose the full amount, its hard to overdose these two so I dont see any reason not to.

justindville1987
12-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Guess I missed that I'm really scanning and looking for pics lol. If everything is the same just a mess to worry to worry about

jonboyb
12-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Just out of stupidity....why Prime and Stability? I know Prime gets rid of chlorine, ammonia, etc. and Stability is a bacteria enhancer, but what would they add in a move between cycled tanks (and pure RO/DI water always used)? All the good stuff is in the sand and rock anyways isn't it (ie. the water is "sterile" of bacteria). Just a CYA in case of the unforseen?

Amici
12-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Yup, its a just in case situation. Better safe than sorry and there is very very little risk to dosing these and they will hopefully prevent any major issues.

jason sartain
12-09-2009, 1:41 PM
FWIW,I have my 240 gal that I moved 2-75 gal a 30 gal and a 10 gal into at the same time.
I lost maybe 10 snails or crabs in the move,but I might have dropped a rock on them or something,who know's?
The only time I drip anything is when I bring it home from the store.

JennM
12-09-2009, 2:27 PM
I'm with Ralph and Charlie.

"Just do it."

Jenn :)

jonboyb
12-09-2009, 5:30 PM
Nike can't use "Just Do It" anymore, after Tiger it's "Just Think About It":D

JennM
12-09-2009, 6:07 PM
:lol:

Well then don't be a Tiger (or a Cheetah!)

In Canada, some years ago, there was an ad campaign for people to get out and exercise, put out by a group called, "Participaction". Their motto was, "Don't just think about it, do it, do it, do it!"

So no Tigers here... just Participaction!

Jenn

blu_devl_06
12-09-2009, 6:15 PM
I agree with these guys, just keep the prime and stability ready and get it done....:up:

jonboyb
12-09-2009, 7:27 PM
Headed downstairs to put in the first batch now. Softies and cheap corals tonight, SPS and fish over the next couple days.