View Full Version : im depressed please help!!

ls1boost
11-09-2009, 9:40 PM
hello everyone im am about fed up i have had the bad luck with my tank its a 45 bow with probably 50-60lb live rock a 2-2.5in sand bed the specs are all in good range and i have some hammer, purple zoas, green/brown palys, candy cane, and some other little corals which are doing great the hammer has grown 2 heads i think and the candy cane has gained 2 or 3 heads in a month or so which is great but here comes the problem first i had a diamond goby for 2 weeks eating like a cow and he came up missing could never find him i figured he jumped ship then i got a lg precula, 2 firefish, and a watchmen, and they all were eating good and all and ome of the fire died about 2 weeks in and 2 days later the other was missing the first i found the body but was half eten by the cuc every thing was great and i bought a misbar clown from jen and everything is great then my girlfriend bought me a yellow tang and a neon dottyback and a goldenheaded sleper goby one week into it and the dottyback who was eating and swimming like normal wouldent come out but was still alive the next day he was dead in the front of the tank no markings then 2 **** days ago my golden sleeper and watchmen which paired great and were eating and everything came up missing and missed a feeding which even if they were hiding they came out when the food hit the tank so today i said **** it and tore the rock all up looking for them and there nowhere to be found i still have the yellowtail damsel, yellow tang, tiny misbar, and lg percula and all are eating like cows and are happy someone please give me some ideas im about to pull my hair out also i have some blue hermits some red hermits and 2 bumblebee snails that i know of in the tank thanks for any help:shout:

brianjfinn
11-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Well, first things first: periods are wonderful inventions. They keep people's eyes from crossing.

Second, it sounds like you may have a nasty hitch hiker on your live rock. I had a pesty little crab that ate a couple of my fish. Keep an eye out for shifted sand and crab shell moltings. But also, you may be overloading the tank. Seems like a lot of fish for a 45, but others may disagree with me. I'd still look for a hitch hiker that may be the cause of the disappearance.

ricksconnected
11-09-2009, 10:02 PM
sounds like a mantis is alive and eating well in your tank.

brianjfinn
11-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Could be!

Rick, I've been meaning to tell you, your avatar is one of the scariest things I think I've ever seen. I may have nightmares tonight...

blu_devl_06
11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
HOw has the damsels behavior been through all this? He could be beating up on the other guys, or you could have a hitchiker, but either way, could be overloaded.....what kind of filtration/sump do you have......

ricksconnected
11-09-2009, 10:19 PM
sleep with 1 eye open. lol

Could be!

Rick, I've been meaning to tell you, your avatar is one of the scariest things I think I've ever seen. I may have nightmares tonight...

ls1boost
11-09-2009, 10:25 PM
im not worried about overloading just 4 fish total andyway the damsel picson the tiny percula sometimes but he dont touch anything elts, my first thought was a mantis or rock crab or something thats y i tore through the rock and havent seen anything how do you spot these

blu_devl_06
11-09-2009, 10:29 PM
turn the lights of and run your fingers through the rock, this is a precision movement that must be done with your eyes closed, it is the only way....

j/k you may never see them...

brianjfinn
Again with the periods...

I found mine one day cause I started noticing the sand would be moved under a particular rock. Then, I started noticing crab shells showing up from moltings. One night, I took a flashlight to the place where the sand was moved and saw two beady little eyes staring back at me. This little guy was nasty. I've never seen something so small and yet so mean.

tgray3
im not worried about overloading just 4 fish total andyway the damsel picson the tiny percula sometimes but he dont touch anything elts, my first thought was a mantis or rock crab or something thats y i tore through the rock and havent seen anything how do you spot these

Grab a flashlight at 1 or 2 in the morning and sit in front of the tank for an hour. If you haven't done this before you'll be in for a surprise at how much stuff is living in there that you never see.

I would lean towards it being a hitchhiker of some kind. You stated that the yellow tang is fine and IME the tangs are one of the first to go if water param's go out of whack.

ls1boost
11-09-2009, 10:36 PM
o ya the tang is great and i have been testing the water daily when adding new fish. <(period) i did not realize my 12th grade english teacher was here on the board. <(period)

blu_devl_06
11-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Using flashlights is cheating.....but it does work, just don't get scared at all the other stuff you see....:yes:

ls1boost
11-09-2009, 10:38 PM
i will try the flashlight deal i dont think i will run my fingers throught the rock whatever it is seems to like gobys and my finger would probably look to much like a goby in the dark....

LilRobb
11-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I don't think he meant to point out the grammar errors but rather indicated how hard it was to follow your posts when there are no punctations...

Just saying - no offense, but it's used for a reason...

Robb

ls1boost
11-09-2009, 10:46 PM
no problem robb im on a palm phone right now also and its hard to type alot as it is so anyway sorry.

Smoothie
11-09-2009, 10:51 PM
For a second I thought it was that time of the month
Anyway, do not add anymore fish until you find the problem. Have an lfs test your water for you. Also how are you acclimating the fish?

salt reefer
11-10-2009, 12:07 AM
yea i would up with 3 stone crabs as hitchikers. got 1 out so far but the other two being a pain . they kill fish while they spleep. but only if they are small enough for the crab to get. killed 2 small green cromises so far but the rest are to big. lol

Amici
11-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Well, first things first: periods are wonderful inventions. They keep people's eyes from crossing.

Second, it sounds like you may have a nasty hitch hiker on your live rock. I had a pesty little crab that ate a couple of my fish. Keep an eye out for shifted sand and crab shell moltings. But also, you may be overloading the tank. Seems like a lot of fish for a 45, but others may disagree with me. I'd still look for a hitch hiker that may be the cause of the disappearance.

First of what ARE your params? IE please list them and what are you testing them with?

Brianjfinn is Spot on. And I will add that your "its only 4 fish arguement is quite flawed. I could only have 4 fish in my 90. Did I mention they are bat fish? Not gonna work. The tang needs to go and I would say that your over stocking heavily.

If stuff keeps dying then why are you adding more stuff before you figure out the cause? Its just flushing money down the drain......

Also only way to find the crabs or mantis is bait a trap a night and camp out with a red flashlight. They will tuck DEEP into rocks and mantis can actually crack rocks and make a spot to hide in.

So to summarize ditch the tang, slow it way down with the overstocking and figure out the problem before sending more fish to their death.

JennM
11-10-2009, 3:56 AM
Charlie beat me to it.

Parameters. Always need to start with parameters.

And yes, the post is hard to read - in fact I didn't manage to read the whole thing, just the important bits.

Jenn

ichthyoid
11-10-2009, 12:35 PM
o ya the tang is great and i have been testing the water daily when adding new fish. <(period) i did not realize my 12th grade english teacher was here on the board. <(period)

LMAO, LMAO, LMAO:lol2:That period highlight just tore it up!

Thanks! I get to live another day.

ls1boost
11-10-2009, 2:07 PM
you like that? no I understand where people were coming from. I was just pissed and using my pda which is a pain anyway was just looking for some help on my tank problems not my grammer problems. thanks I moved all the fish to the big tank untill I can find the problem

Smoothie
11-10-2009, 2:12 PM
Hope you figure it out. Adding the fish to the larger tank isn't going to mess up your bioload on that tank too much is it? Take a water sample from the problem tank to the meeting tonight. Post up and ask if some people can bring their test kits with them to help a brotha out.

ls1boost
11-10-2009, 2:29 PM
no the load on that tank is just a few chromis and some inverts should be fine. I wish I could come to the meeting but working o well anyways thanks. I will try and get down to jenns maybe wed or thurs hopefully she couldtest it for me. I still think its a pest cuz the corals and still looking great.

Smoothie
11-10-2009, 2:49 PM
Any damage on the fish? Large brittle stressing them out (keep an eye on the damsel too)? How and how long are you acclimating the fish?

ls1boost
11-10-2009, 3:03 PM
I only found 2 of the dead fish and one no damage and the other was a firefish and his midsection was chewed but there was a couple hermits on him. I flote them for an hour then start adding 1/4 cup or so tank water every fifteen min for 2 hour. like I said the watchmen was in there for a month plus.

Amici
11-10-2009, 3:06 PM
I still dont see your params listed.......on the grammar note, I understand it rubbed you the wrong way, however if you want help from other people you need to be considerate and not give them a headache trying to help.

brianjfinn
11-10-2009, 10:39 PM

:thumbs:

Hehe. Oh, c'mon, just having some fun, but it really does help, especially if you want others to take time out of their lives to help you out. And I hope you learned punctuation before 12th grade...:shades:

Anyways, another thing you could try is putting a couple food pellets in your tank late at night, long after your lights have gone off, then wait to see what, if anything comes out. Let us know if you ever find the bugger, that is, if that's really the problem. I'd bet a fair amount of money on it, though.

ricksconnected
11-10-2009, 11:13 PM
i sometimes tie off a piece of shrimp with fishingline and drop it in as a snack for the crabs. then tie it off up and over the rim of my tank. those crabs love it. they will play tug of war until they get it all or they start to get lifted out of the tank. this might work for you to at least get a good eye on whatever is in the tank.

mysterybox
11-10-2009, 11:54 PM
i can't read as it is...................I give up on this thread.

brianjfinn
11-11-2009, 7:20 AM
i sometimes tie off a piece of shrimp with fishingline and drop it in as a snack for the crabs. then tie it off up and over the rim of my tank. those crabs love it. they will play tug of war until they get it all or they start to get lifted out of the tank. this might work for you to at least get a good eye on whatever is in the tank.

That's actually a really good idea. Not 'actually' as in 'I'm surprised Rick came up with such a good idea,' but 'actually' as in 'it seems so simple, yet effective.' ;)

I'd sit there with a net, too, and that would help get him out. Hey, if you find this guy, see if you can quarantine him and take some pictures of him. It could be possible to get an ID on him, which I'd be interested in. The nasty little fish monger I found in my tank was just your typical brown crab with one claw MUCH larger than the other. I've never seen something so feisty! Stupid little bugger... He ate my six line wrasse.

ricksconnected
11-11-2009, 8:46 AM
brian

try it with your own crabs. its like ringing the dinner bell. they like it when they cant just grab and go. its a fight kinda thing. i do this about once a month. after about 15 minutes i pull it out and trash it. they really do like it though.