View Full Version : 8 nitrate test kits tested:

mysterybox
11-04-2009, 2:03 PM
here are results (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1721602)

From Billy on RC:

General thoughts about each kit.

LAMOTTE
I love this kit. Initially a little more expensive than most but refills are not too bad. I love the color comparator. Although it read a tad higher than other kits, it is still in the ball park. Very user friendly. I give it 4 thumbs up

SALIFERT
Color chart is hard to read at low and high levels. Test is easy enough but results are inconsistent. I give it 2 thumbs up

API
This test does extremely well at high levels of nitrate but does poorly at low levels due to the color increments of the color chart. I recommend this highly for tanks with higher levels of nitrates but do not recommend it for low level testing. I give this 3 thumbs up

SEACHEM
I'm not much of a fan of many Seachem test kits but this one seemed to preform pretty well at low range testing. It is easy to use and the color chart is pretty nice with the slide indicator. It also doubles as a nitrite kit. I give this kit 3 thumbs up

ELOS
Forget this kit for high level testing (over 25 ppm) but low level it matched Saliferts. The color card is easier to read than Saliferts and the kit is easy to use. I give this kit 3 thumbs up

TROPIC MARIN
This kit actually measures high nitrates quite well. I was impressed with the kit itself as well as the instructions. Very easy to use. It also doubles as a nitrite kit. 2 for the price of one. I give this kit 4 thumbs up

RED SEA
This kit has an easy to read color chart but the results as just not consistent with the other tests. I give this kit a thumbs down.

SERA
This test kit shows the ability to test in a variety of ranges up to 400 ppm. Unfortunately, a variety of tests showed many inconsistencies in the results. I give this kit a thumbs down.

Amberjack
11-04-2009, 2:10 PM
Well at least he gave my kit a 3 thumbs up.

I always read my nitrates as 0.0 instead of 0.025. .:)

mysterybox
11-04-2009, 2:18 PM
I like elos for everything except that I use DD Merck for phates and Tropic Marin for trates.

andregarcia_73
11-04-2009, 4:22 PM
Wow thanks.

blu_devl_06
11-05-2009, 12:28 AM
This is good info...thanks
BTW I use the salifert test kits..:up: