View Full Version : Bellsouth DSL users

theplatypus
03-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Have any other Bellsouth customers noticed issues since the merger with AT&T? Since they started this process my bandwidth has been cut in half and emails take hours if not days to arrive. I can deal with the bandwidth issue, but the email thing is driving me nuts. I've sent emails w/pics only to recieve a pm a day later asking if the pics were sent.

mred
03-16-2007, 10:51 AM
I noticed a considerable drop in speed (bandwith) about three to four weeks ago. I called tech support and had them check the line. They couldn't find anything. Then we troubleshot my Linksys router and found that my speed was much faster without it. If you are using a router and it is an older model, I suggest getting a new one that has updated firmware. If it is newer, then go to the linksys support page and download updated firmware. My router was about five years old so I got a new one, as it was past its life line.

I am now speeding along at the top of my level. I can't get the DSL EXtreme, as I have fiberoptic (IFDL) phone lines and they are not making it available yet to those customers. ****.

theplatypus
03-16-2007, 10:59 AM
The router I'm using is less than a month old w/ the latest firmware. Besides the problems started shortly after the merger was announced. Before that I had been virtually trouble free for several years. I'm not really concerned with the bandwidth issues it's email that bothers me.

mred
03-16-2007, 11:07 AM
That's cool.

The only problem I have had with Email is when I am communicating with someone who has Comcast. It may or may not go thru quickly. Sometimes it goes very quickly and sometimes it does take hours.

I have not had the problem with missing attachments.

But this variable Email time has been going on for more than a year. Not sure it is realted to the merger.

George
03-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Yes. BellSouth turned into a nightmare starting back when the merger began. All their tech support went overseas and the connectivity in my neighborhood went from great to weekly (and sometimes multiple times a week) outages or slowdowns. I switched to Comcast and other than their penchant for releasing and renewing IP's every few days, have had no problems and a true 6 Mbps connection.

Melissa
03-16-2007, 11:51 AM
My bandwidth sucks with "fast" access. I tested it the two days in a row at less than 200k download.

Cingular sucks, too.

Melissa
03-16-2007, 11:52 AM
by the way - you don't have to buy a new router to get the latest firmware. just update the firmware for your current router.

piznac
03-16-2007, 11:54 AM
AHHHH HA,.. knew there was something causing this. I will have to check my speeds when I get home,.. my games have been lagging like crazy, Thanks for the tips guys,.. If my connection has gone down it might be time to switch to cable.

theplatypus
03-16-2007, 12:54 PM
by the way - you don't have to buy a new router to get the latest firmware. just update the firmware for your current router.

I didn't buy a new router to get new firmware. I bought a new router because I bricked my old router in an attempt to use an open source firmware.

AHHHH HA,.. knew there was something causing this. I will have to check my speeds when I get home,.. my games have been lagging like crazy, Thanks for the tips guys,.. If my connection has gone down it might be time to switch to cable.

My bandwidth was literally cut in half once they started merging. How do I know? I run speedtests once a month. When I look at my history I averaged just over 6000kbps up until mid January since then it has dropped to 3000kbps.

Stanfill Reef
03-16-2007, 7:24 PM
No issues here.

JustOneMoreTank
03-16-2007, 7:48 PM
I will have to check when I get home. I havent been on the home computer much in the last week. I can ask the wife if she has noticed any slowing or bad behavior.

Spike
03-16-2007, 7:51 PM
Their service is terrible.. I have been waiting for weeks for new DSL to be hooked up at my new construction office. Each day that they are supposed to show up they cancel. Give no reason. Try and call and get disconnected.

bnesti
03-18-2007, 7:45 PM
No problems here.

Just checked, download=2.6Mbps, upload=319 kbps.

And, I am on the maximum of 3 Mbps (down), 384 kbps (up) plan.

That's about where I have always been.

Bryan

Cameron
03-18-2007, 8:09 PM
I work from home off my 6mbs setup as well as constantly downloading. Zero problems. For those considering a swap to Comcrap... I have horror stories from everyone I know about problems with them. When things are setup correctly everything works great, but when something breaks.... it gets REALLY ugly. It isn't uncommon to have 4 week delay before someone can come out for a service call. I have had drops and strangeness with Bellsouth before, but I have always gotten a resolution in a timely manner.

Mizah00
03-18-2007, 10:07 PM
I noticed a big difference with merger and how high my bill was. The main thing that pissed me off was when they came out with the 99.00 deal for phone, internet, and directv it was for new customers only and my bill kept growing and my dsl got slower. I even tried their extreme and it was no different. So I switched to comcast back in Jan. and it works great and my bill is 30.00 cheaper.

JustOneMoreTank
03-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Just tested my DSL at speed.fastaccess.com:
Download = 2.9 Mbps
Upload = 322.1 Kbps

This was done at 11:30 pm on a Sunday night so maybe not much neighborhood traffic on Bellsouth right now??? Seems to be working pretty good for me. :)

Amici
03-19-2007, 12:58 AM
I just set up fast access for my gf (in athens) and it is extremely fast. She has the 6mbps package and it topped out at 6.2 mbps I was very impressed. Anyone had any problems with directv? I was wondering if anyone had problems with the service going out with bad weather and stuff.

George
03-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Just tested my DSL at speed.fastaccess.com:
Download = 2.9 Mbps
Upload = 322.1 Kbps
Don't ask the fox to guard the chickens.

Try this one CNet Bandwidth Meter (http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html)

My home connection with Comcast scores slightly faster than a T3.

Kevin
03-19-2007, 11:31 AM
I love comcast.! I used to have DSL years ago and it would always go down... daily, if not weekly... I haven't had a problem since I switched (knock on wood).

Amici
03-19-2007, 2:01 PM
I will have to say that Comcast in the ATL area has been pretty good, no problems there. However in the Athens area it is Charter and they ABSOLUTLY HORRIBLE!!!! Their service is terrible, my modem always goes out, it took them 2 months to get my HD channels working correctly. They then tried to bill me for HD for those months and I told them I wasnt going to pay. Then a few months later they cut off my service with out notifying me at all. I called them and said they had cut off my service and they said yeah you havent paid in 2 months, I said WHAT?!?! YOU HAVE MY CARD ON FILE YOU BILL ME EACH MONTH!!! They said oh yeah we do dont we.....come to find out they had changed my account without notifying me and had been crediting his account and not mine. It took them a month to get it fixed and then tried to make me pay late fees. If I wasnt moving in 2 months I would cancel my service immediatly but its just not worth it now. IMO Bellsouth DSL is better in Athens, I dont have any experience with Sat tv tho so maybe someone else can give some more info on that.

George
03-19-2007, 4:58 PM
Yeah. My brother lives OTP in Smyrna and had Charter when I lived there. Went out 3-4 times a night. Worst customer service, even compared to BellSouth. I'd rather be on dial-up. At least that would have been more consistent.

Xyzpdq0121
03-19-2007, 5:25 PM
Comcast is the best out there....

I admit I have charter 10Mg service and it rarely has a problem. I have been happy.. (Plus if you have high speed cable modems, you get to "steal" your cable TV and HDTV for free. Saves me about $40 a month!) ;) For a Frag, I will tell you how!! LOL

Mizah00
03-19-2007, 8:07 PM
I have directv since 1999 when was living in Chicago where it would go out in the snow, but since I have been in the atl since 2002 it has gone out maybe 5 times during very heavy thunder storms when you should not be watching TV anyway. I love my TIVO

Bleedingthought
03-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Don't ask the fox to guard the chickens.

Try this one CNet Bandwidth Meter (http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html)

My home connection with Comcast scores slightly faster than a T3.
I'm with bellsouth and according to CNet my speed is at 1707kbps. Have not noticed a single problem with the speed/connection and I'm quite satisfied with it! :shades:

Bleedingthought
03-30-2007, 12:41 PM
My test on the bellsouth website yielded 6.2Mbps! :lol:

Cameron
03-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Try this one http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Bleedingthought
03-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Try this one http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
3374kbps at the Atlanta server. :)

boxermark
03-30-2007, 4:57 PM
I switched to Speakeasy since they don't require voice service unlike BellSouth. It actually costs more but work will pay for DSL but not voice. I haven't had any problems with them in the 2 years I've had their service.

Cameron
03-30-2007, 5:20 PM
Comcast is the best out there....

I admit I have charter 10Mg service and it rarely has a problem. I have been happy.. (Plus if you have high speed cable modems, you get to "steal" your cable TV and HDTV for free. Saves me about $40 a month!) ;) For a Frag, I will tell you how!! LOLComcrap is horrible. You are the first person I know personally that doesn't have a horror story with them. There DVR sucks and service is about as slow as it gets. I have a friend that finally just had to leave after 5 months of service calls to fix the same issue.

DirecTV doesn't disappoint. After I moved and made the call, they were out the next day to hook stuff up. There was a hardware problem with the dish and they were out the very next day to resolve the issue. Now I am one of there gold members as I have been on DirecTV for over 10 years, but still I love my DVR and it is infinitely better than the junk we were using with Comcrap.

George
03-30-2007, 6:04 PM
I love Comcast (old AT&T service area so that may affect things). It's way better than DSL in my area and costs less. The DVR isn't so hot compared to DirectTV, but On-Demand kicks *** and makes it worth it over DirectTV.

Biggest problems with BellSouth are service after the merger (hello India). My only issue with Speakeasy is that it's just as expensive as BellSouth + minimal phone line and ultimately, they're getting service through BellSouth which means it'll crap out just as much in my neighborhood. Our entire neighborhood had to hound BellSouth to fix the problems with DSL and according to my unfortunate neighbors still on DSL, it's still not working right.

mattrg_2000
03-30-2007, 6:21 PM
Thanks for the link Cameron:

6524 Download, 436 upload on the Atlanta server.
6482 Download, 432 upload on the LA server.

-Matt

Bleedingthought
03-31-2007, 1:29 AM
As far as TV goes, I've been happy with DISH for the last 6 years or so. :)

Cameron
03-31-2007, 11:48 AM
As far as TV goes, I've been happy with DISH for the last 6 years or so. :)I used to be a Dish hater as it was crapier, but competition breeds an improved product. For a while, they were the most technologically advanced thing going. Dish is a good substitute for DirecTV and some could easily argue better. They definitly have a good product and good service.

As for Comcrap On Demand, yeah it is a great idea IF they saved off shows in there entirity. When I had it, Daily Show was a partial save. Nothing on South Park that was watchable. All of my nature shows were skipped and no news programs worth watching. If they recorded shows I actually watched it might have been OK, but given how often the receiver screwed up and at least at the time OnDemand couldn't be controlled using Fast Forward, Pause, Rewind, etc and last but not least the completely sucky guide I would call it far from as good as DirecTV much less better.

Darren24
03-31-2007, 7:44 PM
Some of you kill me! :) A company announces a merger and you think that instantly they swap out equipment / technologies? Nothing in the infrastructure has changed. Only org charts changing at this point.

Cameron
03-31-2007, 8:00 PM
My understanding is they have begun merging switches which could lead to problems here and there.

Darren24
03-31-2007, 10:34 PM
To my knowledge there have not been any changes. I manage the services of 2 of our largest customers (Federal Gov and a "large" bank) for BellSouth's /
AT&T's Southeast region.

Cameron
03-31-2007, 11:48 PM
My buddy is an engineer for at&t. He was telling me that they were in the process of merging switches so they could reduce costs in the infrastructure. I don't know where they are process wise, but if they haven't started they should be soon. Apparently there is a ton of redundancy and the POTS Bellsouth system isn't compatible with something that at&t wants it compatible with. My SO and friends all work for the telecom industry as well, but mainly in the wireless arena... they haven't heard anything other boiler plate changes though.

boxermark
04-01-2007, 8:47 PM
Thanks for the link Cameron:

6524 Download, 436 upload on the Atlanta server.
6482 Download, 432 upload on the LA server.

-Matt

Well, I feel inadequate.

1311 down, 258 up on Atlanta server

But then I only have Basic 1.5K/384 service.:shades:

Cameron
04-05-2007, 5:28 PM
Further proof Comcrap sucks...

Hogging Bandwidth Could Get You Banned

Comcast Customers across the country have been contacted by
the telecom giant with a warning to curb excessive bandwidth
consumption or risk a one-year service termination. Comcast,
however, is refusing to reveal how much bandwidth use is
allowed, making it impossible for customers to know if they
are in danger of violating Comcast's limit. Read about
several customers' frustrating experiences in our report.

http://ct.enews.pcmag.com/rd/cts?d=184-4100-4-54-356510-519671-0-0-0- (http://ct.enews.pcmag.com/rd/cts?d=184-4100-4-54-356510-519671-0-0-0-1)

George
04-06-2007, 12:01 PM
http://ct.enews.pcmag.com/rd/cts?d=184-4100-4-54-356510-519671-0-0-0- (http://ct.enews.pcmag.com/rd/cts?d=184-4100-4-54-356510-519671-0-0-0-1)
If you dig into the facts on these cases, people are downloading several hundred gigabytes per month. The cases I found were usage in excess of 300GB per month. To put that in perspective, that's like downloading 60,000 songs per month from iTunes. One case the person admitted to having 300 GB of eMule downloads which is a peer-to-peer file service.

Residential broadband is cheap. REALLY cheap, if you compare it to what people pay in other countries and what commercial accounts cost. The reason is that you're sharing the bandwidth with others under the assumption that nobody will max it out constantly, thus everyone will likely get a high speed connection when they need/want it. Even on DSL, you are ultimately sharing a block of bandwidth once you reach your wire center. Every ISP has clauses in their agreements that allow them to limit excessive bandwidth usage and will steer you towards a commercial account if your usage keeps hitting those limits.

It sucks that "unlimited" isn't really unlimited, but since cable is one of the consistently available 6Mbps services, it's bound to be the one favored by people who download craploads of stuff.

I'm not saying Comcast is perfect by any means, but being the first to actually stomp on ultra-high bandwidth users shouldn't be grounds for anyone but the biggest file-sharing bandits to worry about.

Cameron
04-06-2007, 12:25 PM
A big part of that was how they went about disconnecting service and then proceeded to ban the person for a year. The one person repeatedly called customer service who knew nothing of the policy. They didn't even offer him the ability to pay for overages. They also don't have a fixed number. After digging around of my own, it appears they target bandwidth users when others complain of slow service. That sucks they don't have a blanket policy so you don't know where the limit really is. I download at least 200gb per month and I would pretty pissed if someone shut down my service the way they did.

DSL is true digital rather than digital over an analog system. With DSL you are eventually throttled by a digital switch as the switch will only handle so many packets and generally speaking it slices data in equal parts by connection. If the switch gets under load, they can increase the switch capacity, upgrade the pooling lines, etc. On cable, you live within the limits of a single pipe. So long as the pipe doesn't fill up nobody is effected and thus great performance on a low pipe. Once the pipe fills everyone slows down at the same percentage. Therefore the more you download the more priority you get. They have virtually no ability to control what runs over the single pipe.

For my own amusement...

http://www.cameroncole.com/digital/dsl1.mov (http://www.cameroncole.com/digital/dsl1.mov)

http://www.cameroncole.com/digital/dsl2.mov (http://www.cameroncole.com/digital/dsl2.mov)

George
04-06-2007, 12:44 PM
True, cable is shared and more dependent on a "play nice" bandwidth sharing. DSL isn't up to the wire center, but there's certainly not enough bandwidth given to residential DSL service by the telephone company to allow every DSL customer to download at max speed all at once either. If you hammer their system constantly and people complain, I'll bet they'll be calling.

The problem with DSL in this town is that BellSouth is in flux and in many areas having big problems. Add to this the fact that their pricing is only competitive if you pay for the $27 phone line along with it. That makes it more expensive than cable. Yes, there are other providers besides BellSouth, but ultimately, they're running through BellSouth lines.

For me, the big killer for DSL was getting the Indian customer service at all hours and having to jump through their script to get them to fix their screwed up network in my area.

Comcrap and BellSuck. Take your pick. Service definitely varies by area.

Melissa
04-06-2007, 2:23 PM
I'm just waiting for naked DSL to be available so I can cut off my phone line. I don't mind the service so much. It has been decent except for a few slow periods lately.

If anyone has any info on naked DSL with BellSouth/ATT, please let me know!

boxermark
04-06-2007, 2:42 PM
I'm just waiting for naked DSL to be available so I can cut off my phone line. I don't mind the service so much. It has been decent except for a few slow periods lately.

If anyone has any info on naked DSL with BellSouth/ATT, please let me know!

I have "naked" DSL but it is with speakeasy.net. It is not a technical requirement to have voice service to get DSL. It is Bellsouth wanting to make more money. However, It's not cheaper with Speakeasy becasue it costs almost as much as voice+DSL from Bullsouth. I save because my employer will reimburse me for DSL service but not voice service. So even though it costs my employer more it saves me the $30+ a month for a landline that I wouldn't use. (I use a cell phone for all my voice needs.)

Cameron
04-06-2007, 2:57 PM
True, cable is shared and more dependent on a "play nice" bandwidth sharing. DSL isn't up to the wire center, but there's certainly not enough bandwidth given to residential DSL service by the telephone company to allow every DSL customer to download at max speed all at once either. If you hammer their system constantly and people complain, I'll bet they'll be calling.No but the impact on other customers is greatly reduced. If a switch is getting bogged down and I am the bandwidth hog, I slow down first and I don't take everyone with me as packeting is metered on the switch. On Cable, we all share the same connection. Rather than having 100 connections for 100 users, they have 1 connection for 100 users. As long as everyone behaves, it is fine. One rowdy user and it brings the entire network performance down. Reminds me of token ring networks... there is a reason ethernet won that war.

The problem with DSL in this town is that BellSouth is in flux and in many areas having big problems. Add to this the fact that their pricing is only competitive if you pay for the $27 phone line along with it. That makes it more expensive than cable. Yes, there are other providers besides BellSouth, but ultimately, they're running through BellSouth lines.Not sure what Comcrap sells cable modems for if you don't have service with them. I have DirecTV after horrible service with Comcrap and DSL has worked great for me in Woodstock and Alpharetta.

For me, the big killer for DSL was getting the Indian customer service at all hours and having to jump through their script to get them to fix their screwed up network in my area.I booted Comcast out the door because every time I called them the scheduled a tech to come out 2 weeks to 1 month later. I had one issue with Bellsouth since I moved to Alph, called Bellsouth sent a tech out the next day.

Comcrap and BellSuck. Take your pick. Service definitely varies by area.Yep.

boxermark
04-06-2007, 3:12 PM
One thing that tripped me up and Bellsouth never told me was that ALL phones must have a filter on them. I had an obsolete security system that was still connected to the phone line. It didin't even have power to it. I didn't think of putting a filter on it maily becasue I had forgotten about it. I was having problems and finally realized that the alarm was causing the problem. Once I disconnected it, 95% of my problems went away. Then I got speakeasy and I don't have problems anymore.

George
04-06-2007, 4:30 PM
One thing I will agree on is that I did like my DSL back when it worked.

But once I stopped using my home phone, it became pointless.

In answer to the cost for no other services, Comcast is about $55 with no other services which is about what 6Mbps BellSouth is if you don't get a phone line.

Does anyone have cost info on Speakeasy's plans? They require a phone number to get a check, but have a no-phone line service. Can't find the pricing.

JustOneMoreTank
04-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Bandwidth calculation is measured against that of CNET's Internet Services. Bandwidth may be higher or lower depending on Internet congestion. Calculated tests do not reflect server reliability and speed.

Connection Type Connection SpeedFaster Providershttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gif
28.8 Kbps http://reviews.cnet.com/i/is/ave.gif Dial-up 28.8k http://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gif
33.6 Kbps http://reviews.cnet.com/i/is/ave.gif Dial-up 33.6k http://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gif
53.3 Kbps http://reviews.cnet.com/i/is/ave.gif Dial-up 56k http://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gif
384.0 Kbps http://reviews.cnet.com/i/is/ave.gif DSL/Cable 384k http://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gif
768.0 Kbps http://reviews.cnet.com/i/is/ave.gif DSL/Cable 768k http://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gif
1500.0 Kbps http://reviews.cnet.com/i/is/ave.gif Cable/DSL 1.5Mbps http://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gif
1544.0 Kbps http://reviews.cnet.com/i/is/ave.gif Full T1 1.544Mbps http://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gif
1869 Kbps - You http://reviews.cnet.com/i/is/you.gif 1869 kbpshttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gif
3000.0 Kbps http://reviews.cnet.com/i/is/ave.gif N x T1 3.0Mbps Bandwidth.com (http://dw.com.com/redir?destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bandwidth.com%2Flan ding%2Fcnet%3FcampaignId%3D70130000000GGJq&astid=2&merId=6269321&ltype=is&ttag=paid&oid=7009-7254_7-0&ontid=7254&edId=3&siteid=7&channelid=6028&lop=nn) http://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gif
6000.0 Kbps http://reviews.cnet.com/i/is/ave.gif T3 6.0Mbps Bandwidth.com (http://dw.com.com/redir?destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bandwidth.com%2Flan ding%2Fcnet%3FcampaignId%3D70130000000GGJq&astid=2&merId=6269321&ltype=is&ttag=paid&oid=7009-7254_7-0&ontid=7254&edId=3&siteid=7&channelid=6028&lop=nn) http://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gif
15000.0 Kbps http://reviews.cnet.com/i/is/ave.gif T3 15Mbps Bandwidth.com (http://dw.com.com/redir?destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bandwidth.com%2Flan ding%2Fcnet%3FcampaignId%3D70130000000GGJq&astid=2&merId=6269321&ltype=is&ttag=paid&oid=7009-7254_7-0&ontid=7254&edId=3&siteid=7&channelid=6028&lop=nn) http://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gifhttp://reviews.cnet.com/b.gif
30000.0 Kbps http://reviews.cnet.com/i/is/ave.gif T3 30Mbps Bandwidth.com (http://dw.com.com/redir?destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bandwidth.com%2Flan ding%2Fcnet%3FcampaignId%3D70130000000GGJq&astid=2&merId=6269321&ltype=is&ttag=paid&oid=7009-7254_7-0&ontid=7254&edId=3&siteid=7&channelid=6028&lop=nn) http://reviews.cnet.com/b.gif

It did not post the bar graph. Looks like I have a pretty decent connection. :)

JustOneMoreTank
04-06-2007, 11:30 PM
The Speakeasy Test gave me results:

2942 kbps download
326 kbps upload

Cameron
05-10-2007, 6:51 PM
Comcast has stopped the unlimited download advertising and still does not list a limit. Apparently 350gb is too much to download in a month as some people have been warned when they downloaded that much in a month. Per Clark Howard today, AT&T is going to slash DSL rates an incredible amount and it will be about 1/3rd the price as it is now which will make it MUCH cheaper than cable.

Cruisaire
05-10-2007, 8:28 PM
86808.5 via fiber optic

Thanks Bellsouth!

George
05-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Per Clark Howard today, AT&T is going to slash DSL rates an incredible amount and it will be about 1/3rd the price as it is now which will make it MUCH cheaper than cable.
That'd be nice if they couple it with a service improvement. My neighbors are still bemoaning Bellsouth/AT&T's service in our neighborhood. The big question is, will they extend this cut pricing to people who don't want to pay for a land line? Bellsouth charged $15 more per month if you didn't get a land line with DSL.

Of course, what would be even better is a price war between Comcast and AT&T.