View Full Version : Question about magnesium.

Atlanta Aquarium
11-01-2009, 7:48 AM
I thinking of getting some magnesium from bulkreefsupply. The video on bulkreef suggested to just use the magnesium chloride since I don't use their 2 part solution product.
What side effect will magnesium chloride have in my tank? I know the chloride part isn't good for the tank. what do I need to do to reduce the side effect from the chloride? Is there enough chloride in the magnesium in the first place to cause problem in my sytem?
Anybody using the magnesium chloride from bulkreef at the present time?

Budsreef
11-01-2009, 8:14 AM
Rit, I use their Magnesium Sulfate and Magnesium Chloride. I don't have much experience from the chemical standpoint though to say whether it is the right thing to use or not.

JAustin
11-01-2009, 8:35 AM
You'll be fine with using mag cl since you have a ca reactor. If you were dosing cal cl and mg cl you would be heavy on the cl. But since you're not dosing cal cl your fine to dose mg cl.

I dose cal cl and for mg i dose a mixture of mg cl and mg sl. If I were you i would dose the mixture anyway. You can order a gallon of mg sl and a gallon of mg cl. I forget what the ratio should be but if you call them they will help you out.

Atlanta Aquarium
11-01-2009, 8:39 AM
Thanks Bud and Jason. I've used Espon salt inthe past. It's not too good for my reef since it release to much hydrogen sulfite into my system. I want to switch to magnesium chloride if it's better for my reef tank.
What is the advantage of using mg sl and mg chl together. Do they cancel out the sl and chl in the system? Wish I paid more attention in chemistry class. :)

JAustin
11-01-2009, 8:52 AM
you want a ballanced systyem of sulphate and chloride. It's not that they cancle eachother out it's that you don't want a bunch of sulphate or chloride in your tank. Some salt's mixes are sulphate deficient, so dosing mg sulphate would help. But dosing a mixture of mg sl and mg cl gives you both, so why not mix them anyway. It's not recomended to use Epsome salts for MG dosing anyway, not by its self. Here is a link you may want to read Rit....skip down to the DIY two part.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php#14

Acroholic
11-01-2009, 9:00 AM
Rit,
You use a combination of mag chloride and mag sulfate. This is what I use to up my magnesium levels.

From The Randy Holmes Farley article (slightly edited for flow):
>
A certain mixture of magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate has no net effect on seawater's major anions (chloride and sulfate). All that is necessary for such a recipe is to add these two ingredients in such a ratio that they add chloride and sulfate in the ratio naturally present in seawater (which is 7.1 to 1 on a weight basis and 9.6 to 1 on a per ion basis).
>
>
Using both Epsom salts and Mag Chloride, dissolve 7 cups Mag Flake (Mag Chloride) and cup Epsom salts in one gallon of water, and use that to supplement magnesium in amounts determined using this linked online calculator (http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html), with the entry "Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 Versions A and B."
>

Dave

Ralph ATL
11-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Rit,
You use a combination of mag chloride and mag sulfate. This is what I use to up my magnesium levels.

From The Randy Holmes Farley article (slightly edited for flow):
>
A certain mixture of magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate has no net effect on seawater's major anions (chloride and sulfate). All that is necessary for such a recipe is to add these two ingredients in such a ratio that they add chloride and sulfate in the ratio naturally present in seawater (which is 7.1 to 1 on a weight basis and 9.6 to 1 on a per ion basis).
>
>
Using both Epsom salts and Mag Chloride, dissolve 7 cups Mag Flake (Mag Chloride) and cup Epsom salts in one gallon of water, and use that to supplement magnesium in amounts determined using this linked online calculator (http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html), with the entry "Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 Versions A and B."
>

Dave

That's what I do.
I use the chloride from BRS.

I just get epsom salt, since you use a lot less.

Schwaggs
11-01-2009, 12:17 PM
you want a ballanced systyem of sulphate and chloride ...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php#14

Exactly, it's all about maintaining the ionic balance. The article you reference explains it all.

Using both Epsom salts and Mag Chloride, dissolve 7 cups Mag Flake (Mag Chloride) and cup Epsom salts in one gallon of water, and use that to supplement magnesium...

This is exactly what I do when my Mg needs a boost. Since I am running a CA reactor, it rarely needs adjustment once I get it where I want it.

weaglereefer
11-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Exactly, it's all about maintaining the ionic balance. The article you reference explains it all.

This is exactly what I do when my Mg needs a boost. Since I am running a CA reactor, it rarely needs adjustment once I get it where I want it.

With that ratio, what amount of supplement is needed to raise what amount of water how much? Like does 1 cup of that raise 10 gallons 100ppm, or what?

I currently only use MgCl, but will likely order some sulfate next time around. I was not aware of their relationship and really just needed something fast the first time I ordered it.

Schwaggs
11-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I think the BRS site has the dosage rates. You can pick up Mg Sulfate (Epsom Salt) at your local wally world very cheap.

Acroholic
11-01-2009, 1:26 PM
If you use Randy's 2 part, the amount of epsom salts (Mag sulfate) you use is so small, a 1/2 gallon container from the local drug store/wally worrld will last a year.
Dave

Hackman72
11-01-2009, 1:34 PM
For those of us w/out a ca reactor, I dose kalk and calcium chloride. Could I get by just using the mag sulfate (epsom salt)or do I still need a proportionate amount of mag chloride?

Oil_Fan
11-01-2009, 3:44 PM
For those of us w/out a ca reactor, I dose kalk and calcium chloride. Could I get by just using the mag sulfate (epsom salt)or do I still need a proportionate amount of mag chloride?
Hanging around to see the answer to this question. I'm probably going to start to dose with kalk soon myself since I won't be in a position to buy a CA reactor anytime soon.

Atlanta Aquarium
11-01-2009, 5:18 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciated the answer. Sound like espson salt and mg cl it is.