View Full Version : November Meeting Announcement- Joe Yaiullo of Atlantis Marine World Aquarium

jmaneyapanda
10-31-2009, 8:51 AM
http://www.marineaquariumexpo.com/images/josephyaiullo.jpg

The Atlanta Reef Club is very proud to present Joe Yaiullo for our November meeting. Joe will giving a presentation discussing his phenomenal 20,000 gallon (yes, you read that right) reef tank at Atlantis Marine World Aquarium in New York. As you can see, Joe is one of the aquarist who really gets into his work. Look closely, and you can see his underwater ipod case that he wears while at "work". He will be discussing the design, build and maintenance of the tank, with a
focus on the fish spawning and subsequent attempts to raise the larvae.

Joe Yaiullo has a B.S. in Marine Science from LIU Southampton College's marine science program, and worked for 8 years at the NY Aquarium in Brooklyn, New York as Senior Aquarist. In 1992, he began to shape his plan for a world-class aquarium on Long Island's East End and in 2000, after toiling for eight long years, his plans and vision became a reality with the opening of Atlantis Marine World Aquarium in Riverhead, NY.

Joe has been featured in many reef keeping magazines and books, and has presented lectures throughout the USA including several MACNA’s and in Canada, Germany, Sweden, Finland, England, Monaco, France and The Netherlands. The best recent addition to his reef tank though is a water proof iPod case so Joe can rock out while diving in his tank. Atlantis Marine World has doubled in size since it opened, with many future exhibits in the works. So even though it’s on a larger scale, Curator and Cofounder Joe Yaiullo still considers it all his “DIY” project.

The meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 10, 2009, at 7 PM. The meeting will be held at Steve Shindell's office space.

Directions to Steve Shindell's office building -

From I-75 South-bound:
Take Exit #255, West Paces Ferry and Northside Parkway. Turn left off the exit ramp. You will pass under I-75. Turn right at the first light onto Northside Parkway. Go to the second light, and turn right on Howell Mill Road. Go up the hill, and turn left on the first street, Downwood Circle. Go straight on Downwood Circle into the parking deck (all the way down the road). The building will be on your left.

From I-75 North-bound:
Take Exit #255, West Paces Ferry and Northside Parkway. Turn right off the exit onto Northside Parkway. Take an immediate right onto Howell Mill Road. Go up the hill, and turn left on the first street, Downwood Circle. Go straight on Downwood Circle into the parking deck (all the way down the road). The building will be on your left.

3200 Downwood Cir Nw
Atlanta, GA 30327

Or MapQuest directions can be found here (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?address=%5b3100%2d3274%5d%20Downwood%20Cir %20Nw&city=Atlanta&state=GA&zipcode=30327&country=US&title=%3cb%3e%5b3100%2d3274%5d%20Downwood%20Cir%20 Nw%3c%2fb%3e%3cbr%20%2f%3e%20Atlanta%2c%20GA%20303 27%2c%20%20US&cid=lfmaplink2&name=).

NOTE: We all want to enjoy our time at the meetings, so for the members and our guest speaker, please be respectful and keep the talking and socializing during the talk outside. Thank you

grouper therapy
10-31-2009, 8:54 AM
Good job Jeremy! I'll make this meeting

ksauerb322
10-31-2009, 11:44 AM
should be interesting! thanks again mr. panda! I dug up some old pictures of his work which is amazing! www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/2/aquarium

jmaneyapanda
10-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Bear in mind, I just made the announcement. Our meeting are the culmination of the efforts of all of our BOD. So kudos to all of the BOD, not just me.

fish_guy
10-31-2009, 2:13 PM
Wow I will not miss this one for anything

atreyu917
10-31-2009, 3:22 PM
I definitely hope to make this one since I missed the last!

Is it sad that the first thing that I thought when I saw that picture was 'oh man, I hope he doesn't accidently break anything' hahaha

I hate putting my hands in my tank for that very reason. All it takes is a bump....lol

AtlReef
11-02-2009, 10:25 AM
This sounds great! Is there a way to include an "Add to your Outlook Calendar" button when sending out event notices?

Jgoal55
11-04-2009, 1:25 AM
man....would love to hear what he has to say......its a long way from miami though.

Really guys, ARC should seriously consider recording these talks and creating an ARC youtube channel. Not only would that be great for members such as myself who are not in Atlanta or for those who cant make meetings (which is a lot) but it would do a great job of building a brand out of the ARC. You get enough of these great speaker on your own youtube channel and you'll really start to get some widespread recognition for very little investment. Camcorders these days can be had for under $200 (non-HD of course)

anyway, until then Ill just keep wishing and I hope everyone has a great time at this one. Should be very educational.

Rbredding
11-10-2009, 4:51 PM
I'll be there SANS nametag, unfortunately...