View Full Version : Need some info on light movers

johnr2604
10-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Anybody here using them? I am working on a prop setup that I wan't to incorporate one and can't find a lot of good info. Anybody have any links or advise. I already know where to get them. I'm looking for stuff along the lines of what RPM motor I need versus what watt halide? Whats the maximum length I can cover with one light? ETC

Eric B
10-28-2009, 1:44 PM
I read a tread on someone using them on Reef Central a few months back. You could probably do a search for it there it was pretty detailed info. (Where all parts were purchased, set up, etc.) Will have to look for it when I get a second and if I find it will let you know if I can find it again.

tim8111
10-28-2009, 1:49 PM
I can get the sunlight supply Light Rail system for you at a good price and it is a quality product. You can look at them on sunlights website.

Here is a link for the light rail 3.5 (http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aqua/products.aspx?request=AQUA_LIGHTRAIL_3&title=Components%20/%20Accessories&type=product).
Here is the light rail 5. (http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aqua/products.aspx?request=AQUA_LIGHT_RAIL_5&title=Components%20/%20Accessories&type=product)

My price is also better than what is listed on the page. You can check my prices out on keenreef.com (http://www.keenreef.com)

Thanks,
Tim

johnr2604
10-28-2009, 1:58 PM
I read a tread on someone using them on Reef Central a few months back. You could probably do a search for it there it was pretty detailed info. (Where all parts were purchased, set up, etc.) Will have to look for it when I get a second and if I find it will let you know if I can find it again.Yep, I have done a search there but the info seams pretty vague. I'm trying to get some real good technical info where maybe someone has done some testing.

johnr2604
10-28-2009, 2:03 PM
I can get the sunlight supply Light Rail system for you at a good price and it is a quality product. You can look at them on sunlights website.

Here is a link for the light rail 3.5 (http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aqua/products.aspx?request=AQUA_LIGHTRAIL_3&title=Components%20/%20Accessories&type=product).
Here is the light rail 5. (http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aqua/products.aspx?request=AQUA_LIGHT_RAIL_5&title=Components%20/%20Accessories&type=product)

My price is also better than what is listed on the page. You can check my prices out on keenreef.com (http://www.keenreef.com)

Thanks,
TimI will be in touch with you about that. I know your sunlight supply prices are awsome.

On another note I'm about 90% sure I am switching to T-5s on the 120 now. Hopefully after the frag swap I will have some money to put toward the fixture we talked about :thumbs: I need to come by and see you anyway so I can order that other clown.

Smoothie
10-29-2009, 2:13 AM
Check on youtube for more examples. LA reefguys do it as well as worldwidecorals in Orlando. (MACNA's gonna be there next year. We gotta check it out)

johnr2604
10-29-2009, 2:27 AM
Check on youtube for more examples. LA reefguys do it as well as worldwidecorals in Orlando. (MACNA's gonna be there next year. We gotta check it out) I saw WWC's setups when I was in orlando. Actually thats what got me looking into them. That place has some amazing stuff.

Smoothie
10-29-2009, 2:35 AM
Oh yeah. Great how they get their hands on "one only" corals that no one else has, grow and propogate them out to sell. Good guys. They do have some really healthy stuff. Probably could talk to them and research a little mre and find that you can build it cheaper than the links provided

Acroholic
10-29-2009, 8:02 AM
I think Fosters and Smith sell the light rails if you need to check prices.

I think I understand how they work. They kind of simulate sunlight by moving the light, but I also think people try to use them to get more coverage out of less light fixtures. Don't know if that works. Seems you'd have to run one fixture on a rail longer to give the same exposure, whereas you could run two lights for a shorter time. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Anyone, feel free to give me some clarification on this, 'cause I've never used one.
Dave

Smoothie
10-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Just good for frag setups. Simulates cloud coverage and supposedly increases growth because of the constant stimulation

EnderG60
10-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Oh come on, the simulating the sun/cloud cover stuff is all marketing. You do not want this on your main tank. All they do is run along a track till they hit a stop pin. The pin hits a switch and it waits there for a certain time(called dwell time, set by a dial on the side) then it goes back the other way till it hits the other stop.

The only reason to have one is to use fewer lights. Say you have a 2'x6' frag tank, you could use a single halide on a mover rather then 3 of them, which makes frag system much more economical to run.

If anyone wants one PM me.

Acroholic
10-29-2009, 11:58 AM
The only reason to have one is to use fewer lights. Say you have a 2'x6' frag tank, you could use a single halide on a mover rather then 3 of them, which makes frag system much more economical to run.

That would be the main reason I would get one.

jmaneyapanda
10-29-2009, 12:05 PM
They also craete a better uniform coloration in corals. With a stationary light source, there will be constant shadowing over parts opf a coals. With a variable source, different surfaces will be hit by light, and you will get better consistancy of coloration.

johnr2604
10-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Yep, I mainly want to use less light and get more uniform growth and color. I'm with Dave though about the photoperiod. Thats the info I'm looking for. If I have to run twice the photoperiod then all I will be saving is on the fixture itself. I did talk to WWC about them when I was there. Acording to them they run a longer photoperiod. I think they were talking only a few more hours though. Let me grab my other laptop and I will post a pic of what I'm thinking

johnr2604
10-29-2009, 1:47 PM
OK hear is what I'm thinking. I want this to be over a 2'x4' or 2'x5' fiberglass tub that I will be making. I would really like to keep the light down to a 250w halide. I'm mainly going to be growing low light SPS such as monti's and a few LPS. The tub is going to be shallow, somewhere around 8-10 inches deep.

I'm wondering if a 250 will be enough and how long of a photoperiod I will need. If I have to jump to a 400 which is what I see most people run, Then I would just ditch the mover and go 2x250w. What do ya'll think will it work with somewhere around a 12 to 14 hour period. I currently run 9 hrs on the tanks I have now.

Excuse the drawing LOL. Its just something I drew up in paint.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/jetskiking/fragtankdesign.jpg

Mockery
10-29-2009, 2:06 PM
Cool idea John. And I must say you can draw very well in paint.

Spike
10-29-2009, 3:07 PM
I have a light mover with a 400 watt MH moving over a saltwater pond made with a wood frame and pond liner. My system is somewhat new so the verdict is still out on the light movers. I went a little more crazy after loosing my job in May and built the system. My pond is 10 1/2" deep and have egg crate resting on 1/2" pvc frame. Running a photo period of 9 1/2 hours. Most coral doing well LPS, zoas, palys, with the exception of SPS specifically my millipora, but of course the system is still relatively new. My millis come from my display tank and flourish there. But everytime I frag and then move to frag pond it either looses all of its color or RTN's. All other parameters are similar in both systems. My purple tip acro looses it purple tips. My slimer, and purple poccilipora seems to be satisfied. Actually for my SPS I have added a second eggcrate shelf about 4" above the pond bottom to get closer to the light which is about 19" above the water surface. Got the ideas for the pond from a thread on another reef site. A lot cheaper than a glass or acrylic tank. John you are welcome to come over and check it out. It is far from a perfect system.

Skriz
10-29-2009, 3:13 PM
That's the most impressive "paint" sketch I've ever seen.

Smoothie
10-29-2009, 3:15 PM
Oh come on, the simulating the sun/cloud cover stuff is all marketing. You do not want this on your main tank. All they do is run along a track till they hit a stop pin. The pin hits a switch and it waits there for a certain time(called dwell time, set by a dial on the side) then it goes back the other way till it hits the other stop.

Exactly. Frag setups only.
I would love to see a build if you do get one going with someone.

johnr2604
10-29-2009, 3:18 PM
I have a light mover with a 400 watt MH moving over a saltwater pond made with a wood frame and pond liner. My system is somewhat new so the verdict is still out on the light movers. I went a little more crazy after loosing my job in May and built the system. My pond is 10 1/2" deep and have egg crate resting on 1/2" pvc frame. Running a photo period of 9 1/2 hours. Most coral doing well LPS, zoas, palys, with the exception of SPS specifically my millipora, but of course the system is still relatively new. My millis come from my display tank and flourish there. But everytime I frag and then move to frag pond it either looses all of its color or RTN's. All other parameters are similar in both systems. My purple tip acro looses it purple tips. My slimer, and purple poccilipora seems to be satisfied. Actually for my SPS I have added a second eggcrate shelf about 4" above the pond bottom to get closer to the light which is about 19" above the water surface. Got the ideas for the pond from a thread on another reef site. A lot cheaper than a glass or acrylic tank. John you are welcome to come over and check it out. It is far from a perfect system.Awsome :thumbs:, thats the type info I have been looking for. How high is the light sitting off the water? How long is the pond? How long does it take your mover to cover the span?

Spike
10-29-2009, 3:48 PM
Awsome :thumbs:, thats the type info I have been looking for. How high is the light sitting off the water? How long is the pond? How long does it take your mover to cover the span?

about 19" off the water, 7' long and 32" wide, and I think about 2 minutes. The track is 6' long but you can adjust the length of the light travels to whatever distance. The motor is actually a discounted rebuilt unit.

johnr2604
10-29-2009, 4:16 PM
about 19" off the water, 7' long and 32" wide, and I think about 2 minutes. The track is 6' long but you can adjust the length of the light travels to whatever distance. The motor is actually a discounted rebuilt unit.Thanks, so with the light a little closer on a 4ft rail and a 5ft tank I might be able to use a 250.

Spike
10-29-2009, 4:26 PM
Possibly a 250 would work, at 5' some amount of light will always be on the coral. But if light is too close to water it will be hard to work under the light. With it constantly moving it can be a hazard. I can work under the light and it not interfere with what I am doing. I also use a timer I bought at HD. It is an exterior timer with 2 plug ins, one for the light the other the mover. That way they shut off and on at the same time.

johnr2604
10-29-2009, 4:30 PM
Possibly a 250 would work, at 5' some amount of light will always be on the coral. But if light is too close to water it will be hard to work under the light. With it constantly moving it can be a hazard. I can work under the light and it not interfere with what I am doing. I also use a timer I bought at HD. It is an exterior timer with 2 plug ins, one for the light the other the mover. That way they shut off and on at the same time.Thanks, I can always shut off the mover to work I guess.

Fish Scales2
10-29-2009, 5:31 PM
I have 2 used lightrails for sale. They are the 10 rpm units. $125 per.

Acroholic
10-29-2009, 5:36 PM
I have 2 used lightrails for sale. They are the 10 rpm units. $125 per.
There you go....Chris to the rescue!

James S.
10-29-2009, 5:41 PM
That is a good deal!